1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Quentin Tarantion's 'The Hateful Eight'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 23, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's true, but he's a good action director, too. Jackie Brown had a bit too much sitting around and talking. You have to strike a balance.

2. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Not a big Adam Sandler fan. I'll pass.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Looks like its trying way too hard.
    Just doesn't look that interesting.
    Dialogue seems super fake and non-realistic.

I get its his shtick. And when done well, i do love it. But I have grown less and less a fan of his work.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

not meh.... I guess

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It was an interesting look at the direction he could have continued on, and a nice epitaph for Bridget Fonda's career after she launched gen-x love story, girl assassin spy and crazy stalker genres in the early '90s. Tarantino also has to be credited for mainstreaming black character actors who weren't so young and intense that they could only play gang members, athletes or whatever Chris Tucker was doing. Of course he surpassed everyone's expectations and escaped his own commercial legacy quickly enough, otherwise he'd probably be making heist movies with Jeff Fahey or something.

6. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

For Tarantino scripts my favorite is still True Romance.

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Wow this is actually surprising since all QT does is fill his films with other peoples music. so an original score by the Maestro Ennio Morricone (Dollars Trilogy, The Thing, Battle of Algiers) is a huge change. Only three pieces from other sources. Impressive.

#47 percicles, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  8. percicles

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SGg2N32Z-co" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Man. His level of dedication to the true art of film making is incredible. Every interview of his you can see he is a true student of the media. I'm very excited for this movie.

10. percicles

11. percicles

Nice Q&A w/ Nolan at the link. Can't embedded but video highlights at the llink

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just watched the featurette about the 70mm roadshow version. Looks awesome. I'm going to have to see that version of it in theaters if not on Christmas day, shortly there after.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I havent watched this yet but Tarantino is one of my favorite directors and I've thoroughly enjoyed every movie he has done. Hearing that there was going to be a 70mm presentation I was telling myself I NEED to go see in that format.

One of the things that I miss the most about moving away from the LA area is the lack of theaters that have like the latest and greatest technology - I mean it was super easy to find a true IMAX, dolby atmos theater, thx, dbox hell as far as I know LA still has the only 4DX theater in the country. I was worried the roadshow would not make it to the DFW area.

Luckily there are a few theaters around and I found one about 25 miles away showing it dec 24th so I bought tickets for that show. I am really interested in seeing how its done. Seeing the soundtrack list has me super excited as well.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yeah, when I was looking up the theater list to find which ones in LA would show it, I saw that DFW had a link to click, so I was sure there were some there.

I was going to see the film no matter what, but after watching that behind the scenes short about it, I'm even more pumped to see it. I think the last 70mm I saw was when they re-released Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm.

I think anyone who appreciates a big screen experience would be making a mistake to not see this film. Of course I haven't seen it, so who knows or sure.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Will still be letter boxed sadly. After hearing QT rant about Disney ****ing him over I'm jealous of the folks in LA for having that Cinarama. How come movies have gotten worse in terms of resolution in 2015?

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here's Tarantino on Howard Stern, yesterday.

I listened to the show. It was at the end of an hour interview. He seemed apprehensive to mention it.

Basically, he says he had the whole week booked at Cinerama Dome in LA. Disney had the week before XMas booked. Then within the last week, Disney told ArcLight Cinemas (who owns the theater) they wanted both weeks. ArcLight called Tarantino and he said he wanted to keep his booking for the week. ArcLight then told Disney they have to uphold their agreement, and Disney responds with a threat to pull Star Wars from all their cinemas throughout the US, if they don't get the one week at Cinerama Dome that Hateful 8 has booked.

My guess is the threat is tied to Tarantino's recent remarks about police violence.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_pd6yO-jBRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

What a bunch of BS. I understand why Disney wants the space, because it will mean good money and even more publicity for them, but sometimes you just have to say you messed up and remember to book extra time the next big movie even that you want.

18. magman

magman Member

Got my tickets for the 70mm version for the 26th. Getting hyped. This and then the revenant and star wars, even sisters.

That's a good month of movies.

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

agree the dome is a great viewing experience but that seems pretty petty for Disney to pull from all the arclight cinemas though they aren't too many (though there are way more now since they re-did the pacific theater in culver city into an arclight) I mean it will definitely impact arclight in terms of concession sales but still seems a really petty move

glad to see arclight not succumb (i think) to the pressure it would set a bad precedent to them basically saying any future booking is good unless a big guy like Disney/Warner/Universal comes in and wants it

20. VanityHalfBlack

Anybody seeing this on 70mm at Edwards opening night? Would love to see my Clutchfans brehs attend this. This is what QT intended on showing the public audiences.