1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, May 21, 2012.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Harvey Weistein showed it to prospective buyers at Cannes this morning. It's supposed to be about Scientology. Joaquin Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams & Laura Dern. Radiohead's Johnny Greenwood composed the score.

A 1950s-set drama centered on the relationship between a charismatic intellectual known as "the Master" whose faith-based organization begins to catch on in America, and a young drifter who becomes his right-hand man.

Teaser clip

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9oZDKFoCqAw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Looks gooddddd

3. gah

gah Member

Sounds like the M version of Martha Marcy May Marlene, with a lot more potential. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It's not supposed to be specifically about Scientology but instead a fictional religion called "The Cause" with possible similarities.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Big fan of both these actresses. Predictable casting for cult/church devotees but they both play vulnerability more earnestly than most.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

If this is more like "There Will Be Blood" than his other films like Punch Drunk Love, Magnolia, Boogie Nights, then Paul Thomas Anderson has a chance to be the Stanley Kubrick of this generation. What I mean is, I hope it is more character driven than character-s driven. Phoenix looks excellent in that trailer. This is the one movie I'm anticipating along with Rises and Django Unchained.

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Magnolia was cringeworthy. Almost unforgivable.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Magnolia was fine. The group song and the frog scene were annoying and I don't remember the plot being too cohesive (which still could have been done with non-linear sequencing), but if you can praise a film for decent bargain casting, emotional tone and an Aimee Mann song; that's the one. John C. Reilly's "improv" is underappreciated because it's buried in dramatic stuff like this, and I guess I just like Melora Walters.

9. percicles

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5U8eyMFCpJw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. what

what Member

There will be blood is such a masterpiece. Never ever have I experienced a movie like that in a theater in my 30+ years going to movies.

There is no way it should have lost the AA for best picture that year to No Country ....

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the "character-s driven" criticism. Are you saying there were more characters than PTA knew what to do with? I get that with Magnolia and Boogie Nights, but not so much Punch Drunk Love (which I unabashedly ADORE). That was pretty much all Sandler and Emily Watson. Or did you mean something else with the "-s" at the end?

I'm also a fan of Boogie Nights, though I think Magnolia was trying to be way more profound than it was. Love me some PTA.

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

The thing with Punch Drunk Love was it was too short. That's basically my complaint about it. It ended abruptly and I was looking for a real conclusion. Instead, it felt like a waste of time and a lot of the story didn't feel like it came full circle.

The only good thing about Boogie Nights was it's camerawork. Everything else felt mediocre.

The latest trailer posted by pericles looks like a mix between Clockwork Orange and Punch Drunk Love. Looks good.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I loved Punch Drunk Love cause that's when I met mrpaige. Back when meeting posters was cool.

14. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

The movie was ok. It was Daniel Day Lewis performance that made the movie not the other way around. No Country for Old Men was a better movie.

15. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Ok MacLady. Whatever you say. :rolleyes:

16. Outlier

Outlier Member

Lol what's your problem? Why can't you respect other people's opinions eh?

17. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Practice what you preach.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

I am sincerely sorry for I've criticized you before and disrespected you because of your opinions. Happy? You must admit you do it far more than I do.

19. percicles

Anderson better lock those doors cause Scientology is not gonna like this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rnovAgwS1V4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Damn that looks excellent. They don't make movies that look like that anymore.