1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Life of Pi

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yup, there we go. This book vaulted as one of my favorites after I
    finished the ending

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

WTF?!?!?!? Are you guys seriously telling me that was symbolism?!??!?!?

Seriously...**** public schools if that is true. We had to read that book in a sophmore pre-ap class and nowhere did they tell us that it wasn't all true. I know it wasn't because they thought we were stupid since that was the easiest read out of everything we did.

But holy ****.
    My world has changed.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yup. It was symbolism.
    If you read the book's ending it makes sense.
    Its not public schooling's fault. I read this book in my freshman pre-ap English course and the first thing my teacher pointed out was the symbolism.

4. VanityHalfBlack

All your post had been nothing but anguish and despair.... Are you okay brah??:confused:

5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

What? How is not PS fault if that is the first thing your teacher told you.
    While I was reading it common sense told me it wasn't true but our discussion in class echoed the exact opposite.

6. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Uh no. Considering I was lied to about one of my fav books, you can imagine how I feel right now.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its implied yet not stated. It could go either way. Honestly, your teacher should have been open with either interpretation. Grading should be based on evidence and support, not on an ultimatum of what is considered right or wrong by a teacher who's interpretation could be off.
    The end result was that it was symbolism. It's implied that he told the story with the animals because the other ending was way too tragic. At the end of the book he offers the choice for the investigators to believe either the first story or the tragic story. While he might not have outright said it, its pretty much implied the second story is the true one.

However. Its way too vague to use common sense on. At least, believing the first story is still somewhat plausible. Don't blame the school. :grin: At least not for interpreting it wrong, blame them for not being open-minded.

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

What could be an even bigger tragedy is I was so dumb that I couldn't even see it, neigther could anybody else, and still made an A in the class under a false illusion.

But in regards to public schooling, I still hold out on the fact that it is useless. U graduated in the top 2% of my class with very little effort and got my ass handed to me freshman year of college because I had no grasp on hardwork.

9. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

So what was the island symbolic for?

10. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I felt that it indicated the frivolity of life - The shape of the island that they showed in that wide angle was that of 'Vishnu sleeping on the cosmic ocean of milk'. This and the carnivorous nature of the island juxtaposed well with how precious Pi considers all life to be.

It could also have been a metaphor for life: there are a few safe houses and resting points, but at the end of the day the journey is the most important part i.e. living each day of life is the important part.

11. SK34

SK34 Member

Well that is what i meant. I left before the thing ended. It clearly makes sense, now that i look at it.

12. SK34

SK34 Member

Explain the part where he said the Tiger didn't look back at him?

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

LosPollos:

[/spoiler] how could you hate the book after finding out it was symbolism? for me, it made me LOVE the book. Before I realized it was symbolism it was just an average book. But when I found out it had more depth than that it became amazing.[/spoiler]

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

It doesn't make me like it less, I like it more I'm just upset I was mislead for so long. Its incredibly dark, the movie make it a lot clearer.

The movie was visually amazing. The scene where the ship sank was so vivid I could smell the salt.

Great great movie.

9.5/10 it was my 2nd choice since I missed skyfall but It was a good alternative.

15. ChippedToothLin

Caught this today. Phenomenal visuals and damn the tiger looked real. It's a good movie but I would've liked it to dive a little deeper into its themes. All in all, a movie by Ang Lee.

16. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Why would Pi say at the end that choosing the tiger story meant choosing to believe in God? Any elaboration of this in the book? I thought this was a subtle knocking on religions in general.

I have never known about the twist before I went to the movie yet I thought Ang Lee has placed quite a number of hints along the movie which were too obvious to viewers that the journey was a fantasy. For example, the zebra's, orangutan's and hyena's carcasses would have gone without a trace. To me, those hints had "soften" my emotions when Pi revealed the other story.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yes...yes...we know it's a movie by Ang Lee. ;)

18. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

If you remember they weren't gone, they where under the white hood. You see a pic of the tiger with them at some point.

19. da1

da1 Member

Wow just wow :eek:

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Boring movie. I hated English class though