1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Charlie Chaplin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Anybody watch his movies? This week I started on a "Chaplin spree" and watched six of his films. Here is how I would rank them:

1) City Lights (the ending scene was epic for me, it put it up a notch)
    2) Gold Rush (the narrative was annoying, I didn't see the older version but overall it was a good film with lots of laughs and unexpected scenes where I was thinking wow... how did they do that? the house on the cliff scene)
    3) The Circus (the ending scene was great, like City Lights this movie has heart)

The next 3 are on a lower tier

4) Modern Times (after all the praise this movie gets, I was left disappointed. Most of Charlie's slapstick felt forced and I felt he was just acting stupid as opposed to the three movies above where his jokes were more accidental)
    5) The Kid (I was also disappointed by this, the dream scene was kind of weird and felt out of place... didn't understand it one bit)
    6) The Great Dictator (what was this trash? Seriously. aside from the nice ending, this whole movie was crap. especially when Charlie was talking german. was there supposed to be subtitles? cause the youtube version i was watching didn't have any. this movie was r****ded) Charlie should have stuck to silent movies.

Any other great movies of his that I'm missing out on? Thanks.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Saw them as a kid. Never got into those black and white silent films.

I did see the one with Robert Downey Jr. though.

3. Apps

Apps Member

Chaplin is a genius and is one of my heroes. Your number 1 on that list is spot on. The ending to City Lights is tear-jerkingly beautiful. I don't remember The Great Dictator much but I remember liking it and that final speech is one of the most important monologues in film history IMO. I also disagree with your opinion on Modern Times.

Frankly, I love all of his works equally (including his numerous shorter films) except for City Lights, which really is one of the best movies ever made. I received a box-set of a HUGE collection of Chaplins lesser known films and shorts, only for my father to give it away to another family friend behind my back as an act of "culturally obligated generosity". **** generosity, I loved that set and I hadn't even finished watching all of its contents. Added to that, the fam friend who had originally brought it for me had brought it from Denmark and I still haven't found it online. I get pissed off just thinking about it.

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I love Chaplin. I had seen his movies here and there, but didn't really get absorbed in them until I read Chaplin: His Life and Art by David Robinson. I watched the movies (most of them) as they came up in the biography and it gave me a much greater appreciation Chaplin's brilliance.

It's an interesting read, and worth the time.

5. The Law

The Law Member

Modern Times is an excellent movie from that time period. Chaplin used the film to make fun of big business and a time when the Industrial Revelotion was taking the business world in a new direction.

His movies, although mostly silent, were very political And always had a deeper message than just the comedy.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Any more thoughts?