1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema Awards] 88th Academy Award Nominations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 14, 2016.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I know I need to don my flame suit right about now, but I always get stuck on Daniel Day Lewis. He is so very talented, yes, but he is always ACTING! instead of acting.

I almost never watch one of his movies and get drawn into the pure character and story, more just into watching him ACT!

This will sound crazy, but I'd put someone like Jude Law in my own top five. Every time I see him in a movie, I'm totally convinced of his character and drawn into the story (e.g. see Side Effects, amazing) and never think "oh, now this dude is ACTING!" He's just... acting, very effectively.

I'm a fan of Fassbender for the same reason, and I'm also big on this Domhnall Gleeson guy. Maybe I just like brits or something, LOL.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thx a lot B-Bob...now I'm never going to be able to watch another DDL movie the same again.

I think you're right. Maybe it comes from stage-acting training, where you have to pronounce and expressively propel your character 50-200' forward, creating your own larger-than-life image without the help of a massive silver screen.

DDL's acting amplifiers go to 11, I guess.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

I personally think Blanchett >>> Mara, but to each their own.

4. B-Bob

Yeah, I don't think anyone was knocking Blanchett in this thread. Certainly not me. They were two amazing women who were amazing together, IMHO.

5. B-Bob

First, ha ha! And yes, to 11. I think the stage training makes a ton of sense.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/12Iosf6btzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

The weird thing is that DDL has barely done any stage work. He's never been presence on the British stage scene like Derek Jacobi or Mark Rylance. I remember reading that he tried to do Hamlet and quite mid show b/c he kept seeing his dead father's ghost.

On a side note DDL can be subtle in his performance The Boxer, My Beautiful Laundrette and The Age of Innocence.

7. B-Bob

Really interesting, and great to see Jacobi's name. I had a friend who's kids briefly overlapped with DDL's at some daycare thing or some kind of music lessons or some crap. DDL was always a modest, kind, quiet gentleman to everyone. Just wanted to see his kids play music.

And hey, maybe he's tailor made a clip for this year's presidential campaign. ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ADmX9eMEV9U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Haha, I know no one was bashing Blanchett, but I'm just surprised Mara was referenced first :grin:

9. Buck Turgidson

Oh, most definitely, but that has no bearing on my lack of attraction to small forest dwelling hominids.

Quite possible, if not probable.

That was not a flattering picture, the next one is much, much better.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

you're a moron if you don't include Leo in your top 5.

1 person likes this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There's people that don't have him Top 5? I thought his performance was a tad overrated, but unquestionably still one of the best of the year.

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I laugh at ppl who think Will Smith should get nominated for an Oscar.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yup, last page I believe. I personally don't really like him but he's one of the best I've ever seen.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did you also laugh to find Sylvester Stalone nominated?

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Just saw the Martian. Cant believe it was nominated.

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

I haven't seen cuncussion yet. Was his performance really that poor?

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wouldn't say Leo was overrated, just that this seems to finally be his year. He could have won in previous years (and maybe could have even been nominated another time or two; maybe his character said the "n" word a time or two too many in "Django," but it's not as if I lost sleep that he wasn't nominated in a tough year).

It's kinda like "The Departed" (another movie for which diCaprio could have been nominated but the Academy gave him the nod for "Blood Diamond" instead, perhaps because they're not like SAG and usually choose one film or another for an actor). Martin Scorcese won as Director, and he did a bang-up job, but he should've won so many times before ("Raging Bull", "GoodFellas", "Taxi Driver").

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

No, he was perfectly fine, but not top-5-of-the-year "great".

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I haven't either. I'm saying in general he is never in my top 5 of the year or top 10. I like to look at a body of work & see how they progress. I just don't take Will Smith's acting as a major award winning performance.