1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cilantro is stanky

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mylilpony, Jun 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

I have always said that cilantro smells like a squished stink bug, but I was always laughed at and spit upon. It turns out that I was right.

"And that is not just a sheer coincidence. As a matter of fact, the chemical that they release is a composition of trans-2-decenal and trans-2-octenal. The reason that the odor bears a resemblance to the smell of cilantro is because cilantro contains trans-2-decenal, the same chemical compound released by stink bugs."

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Kill-Stink-Bugs---Frequently-Asked-Questions&id=6884274

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I like the smell of cilantro. It's nice.

4. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Some people are genetically predisposed to dislike the taste of cilantro.

1 person likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I absolutely hate the smell and taste of fresh cilantro -- if it's cooked I think it's delicious. This probably has something to do with my dislike of it...
    _____

Cilantro Aversion Linked To Gene For Smell, New Study Finds

A new study seeking to better understand why some people have such a strong aversion to cilantro has identified two genetic variants linked to perception of the herb, the most common of which is a gene involved in sensing smells.

Nature reports that a genetic survey of nearly 30,000 people, led by Nicholas Eriksson at the consumer genetics firm 23andMe, asked participants whether or not cilantro tasted like soap and whether or not they liked it. The strongest-linked variant is traced to a cluster of olfactory-receptor genes that influence smell. One of those genes is OR6A2, which is very sensitive to the aldehyde chemicals that give cilantro its distinctive flavor.

Eriksson says that nearly half of all Europeans have two copies of this variant, and of those people, 15 percent reported a soapy taste. In contrast, 13 percent of Europeans had no copies, and 11.5 percent of this group said cilantro tasted like soap.

Speaking to NPR blog The Salt, Erikkson admitted that the genes don't tell the full story of cilantro aversion, saying "it didn't make a huge a difference in cilantro preference from person to person." The findings, he says, suggest that dislike of cilantro is only in part determined by genetics. Moreover, it's not something set in stone:

"It isn't like your height, that you're stuck with. People can change it," he says.

Another study examining cilantro aversion was also published last week in the journal Chemical Sciences, which compiled responses from 527 twins as to whether they thought fresh, chopped cilantro tastes and smells good. The scientists in that study found that three genes influence a person's perception of cilantro. Two were linked with tasting bitter foods and one with pungent flavors, like wasabi.

Nature offers cilantro pesto as a potential solution to cilantro haters wishing to change their preferences, citing a suggestion from food science writer Harold McGee in a 2010 article for the New York Times:

A Japanese study ... suggested that crushing the leaves will give leaf enzymes the chance to gradually convert the aldehydes into other substances with no aroma.

link

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

My favorite part of going Taco Cabana is getting a fistful of cilantro from the salsa bar.

8. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Count me as one that dislikes cilantro. I substitute for something else if possible. It just overpowers everything when I eat something that features it prominently.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

~shivers uncomfortably~

10. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I think the important question is why are you smelling squished stink bugs?

11. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

cilantro is delicious and a great ingredient

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A bunch of cilantro and onions on a street/soft taco ... damn, that's good stuff.

14. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

well thats one of them facts tat noone will ever believe like a potato and onion taste just like an apple in a blind test..

cilantro smells great..

i guess sliced apple and crushed stink bug make a great combo on fajita tacos.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a special one for Swoly
    [​IMG]

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

F U... I'm white and I love cilantro you racist prick

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

I thought cilantro was a Middle Eastern thing...

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Love me some cilantro.

19. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Menudo just aint the same without a **** load of cilantro mayne

20. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Interesting. I thought most people's objection to cilantro was that it smelled/tasted like soap.