1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes: Stealth No More

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gwatson86, Feb 1, 2011.

1. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Great article by Jason Friedman on nba.com, didn't see it posted.

Rest of the article in the link: http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/stealth_no_more_chuck_hayes_v_2011_02_01.html

1 person likes this.
  2. redao

redao Member

What a sad season. :(

4 people like this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This X 10000000000! Couldn't agree more! :cool:

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

looooool

repped

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Agreed, and that's not a reflection on Chuck, but the rest of the organization.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Morey needs to lock him down. He is an important piece no matter what direction the team goes in.

7. YaosDirtyStache

What if that direction is away from the undersized 4/5's we have been trotting out there for years?

I am tired of drawing charges. I am tired of flopping. Give me shot blocks and hard fouls.

8. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Chuck is fine as a 4.

9. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Exactly! He is good at 4 and his offense his improving day by day.

I like Chuck/Pat/Scola at 4. Hill will always play as center with us, if we keep him.

10. MrJason

MrJason Member

Start him for the rest of the season?

11. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Instead of wimpering and complaining that we don't have a big man that's a big high flyer and highlight reel bound, take a moment and appreciate what Chuck has done. Appreciate that he is getting recognition around the league.

Sure having size helps a whole lot but i rather have him draw charges than blocking shots any day. Blocking shots may look good on a stat sheet but drawing charges not only gets you the possession but also put the opponents into foul trouble. Say what you want to say about how undersize he is. He has been the most effective center we have in years.

Every year we keep thinking Chuck is on his way out or he's not making the team but time and time again he ends up our starting C and apparently he is the best Center we have. The guy is relentless and he fights for every boards. On top of that, he is a incredibly gifted low post passer. Say what you want to say about him, Hayes is out most productive Center, much more productive than our golden boy Yao Ming for the last 2 seasons.

Standing at 6'6, incredibly undersized for a Center, but I will still take him over most starting Center in the NBA.

Many here favors DeAndre Jordan but to me, Chuck Hayes brings much more to the table than he does. Sure D. Jordan shows up on ESPN with his length and athleticism but when it comes to defense and all the intangibles, Chuck Wagon out-weights him by a whole lot.

It is sad that many on this GARM get sucked into that highlight reel, flashy dunking Center that gets a crazy block every now and then that they overlooked Chuck. It is sad that many here don't appreciate Chuck Hayes for what he's done for this organization. It takes a person who truly understand the game to fully appreciate what Chuck Hayes is doing for Houston.

Even so, we do indeed need size at the Center position but we cannot forget about how important Chuck Hayes is for this team. He anchors our defense and he is the defensive leader of this team. He is one of the few guys that are shut-down low post defenders in the NBA. You don't find many of those players in todays game. In todays game, many low post defenders doesn't play low post defense all the way but instead try to go up for a block every time, by doing so, they get faked into the air and foul the defenders. Those guys are perfect for the weak side block. But one on one low post defense, they're pretty much useless against good post players.

Say what you want to say, but at the end, Chuck Hayes will still be our starting Center and he will be our best low post defender and low post passer this team can ever get. He is definately all nba defensive team material. When you have an all nba defensive player on your squad, you hold on to him. Not try to get rid of him for a guy that gets on highlight reels. We have a player like that once ( Stromile Swift) and we all know how that turned out.

6 people like this.
  12. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Why would you be tired of our players drawing charges. Its very effective and it puts the opponent in foul trouble. Getting blocks just get on the stat sheet. BTW, Hayes does give out hard fouls too.

Tell me this, you rather have a guy that gets you maybe a block or two a game and a few flashy dunks than a guy that plays great man on defense, draw charges, fights for every rebounds and a great low post passer?

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Hey, MambaJ - - great posts!

I would expect that DM the GM fields more inquiries about Hayes than ANY other member of the roster. Is he MVR? Maybe. Maybe not. Is he unsung-est on team and perhaps nationally? Almost without a question.

The Rockets need to re-up this man. Chuck is a keeper!

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes is a professional and a true leader. I hope he retires a Rocket.

So, DO SOMETHING MOREY!!!! (Like offer him a new contract)

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I have a new appreciation for Chuck after watching all his improvment this season BUT for as GREAT a defense as he plays we NEED a shot blocker. Chuck would be and should be an AWESOME defensive four and is now an adequate offensive player but we need someone to alter/block shots, rebound and defend the wide bodies. Chuck can do a fantastic job of keeping his man off the block but it's a layup drill every other time down, he needs a big that can stop that drill from happening.

16. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Wait. You're suggesting we should go away from players who do two productive things (draw charges and flop) and towards players who do things that are of marginal value (shot-blocking) or actively counterproductive? (hard fouls)

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

18. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I like Chuck and hope he remains a Rocket for a long time, but I like a winning Rockets team more. The guy is 6'6", has virtually no offensive moves and playing starting center. No team is going to win with that formula.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes. Yes it is.

Chuck's performance has been one of the very few bright spots.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

They could win big if Hayes was the starting power forward.