1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes Should be NBA All-Defensive Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Nov 16, 2008.

1. MONON

MONON Member

Chuck needs to be on the 2nd defensive team at least. He doean't get enough minutes for the 1st team. But man, he's the Masterlock of lockdown defense!!! :D

2. YaoDreaming

YaoDreaming Member

Code:
    Dirk VS Hayes

11 points on 4/7 shooting but only 1/4 in the second half.

[Dirk scored 36 total points  in this game).

Amare VS Hayes

2 points on 1/3 shooting

[Amare scored 11 total points in this game]
    Hayes' defense is absolutely amazing.He doesn't allow the all-star power forwards to get many shots up,and when they do get up a shot,he makes sure it is a low percentage shot.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

seriously? maybe it's because not all people have nba quality offensive skills. to be an effective offensive player in the greatest league in the world certainly takes more than just effort, otherwise you or I could be playing.

chuck is an all-world defensive player and that's what'll keep him in the league. It'd be nice if he had some kind of offensive game but chances are that if he did, he'd been drafted way before we ever got him.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

thanks, i was having an argument at work that hayes is one of the best defensive players in the league and this guy was telling me he's like 6'6" , anyone can shoot over him, and he shouldn't even be in the league. Apparently if you can't dunk you don't play defense, which unfortunately goes right to the heart of this thread. just like the ridiculous golden gloves in baseball, you have to be a good offensive player to be in the defensive player contest.

5. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Hayes is the most underrated defender by far. He is great at defending the post, and he is also very good against pick and rolls. If he had any talent at all, he'd be the best defender in the league. He does it all by outworking and outhtinking his opponents.

Major props to the Chuck Wagon.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I got to watch both games of the back-to-back in person. My wife and I got her brother's season tickets in SA ($175 a pop! :eek: ) and she got good seats in Houston for the Hornets from a friend who couldn't go. Just a perfect Rockets weekend for us, even if we had to drive a lot. I tell ya, any praise for Hayes is well deserved. After he was hurt in SA, we missed him, badly. Chuck only got 10 minutes in that game and it hurt. Yao played terribly and Adelman didn't play Scola as much as I thought he should have. Sure, if you go by the box score, Luis only got 1 board, but he played excellent defense on Duncan. Landry and Yao couldn't do much with the guy. Chuck did, before he went out.

The Hornets game was like night and day. Chuck plays 20 minutes and has a big impact. Is there a tougher guy in the league? Chuck was hurt so badly at SA that he couldn't come back in, but he plays 20 minutes the next night and you'd never know he was banged up. :cool:

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Actually, after the game Feigan asked if Chuck was available in the 4th quarter and Adelman said yes.

But that doesn't take away from his toughness, just wanted to share the info.

8. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Chuck is like the exact opposite of Yao. Short, but quick, strong, and tough. Yao is tall, finnesse, and skill. If you could put the two together and you make the best player in the league.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Then I have to say that Adelman was an idiot, and I'm a big fan of his. He should have sat Yao and played Chuck. Yes, that's not a misprint. I wish he had.

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

All-Defensive team should be renamed to "All-Offensive Stars Who can Also Play Defense."

This became one of my pet peeves when John Stockton routinely made the all-defensive team for his gaudy steals numbers. High steals/blocks statistics certainly don't preclude a player from being a great defender (see: Olajuwon, Hakeem) but they aren't indicative of, sufficient to prove, or necessary in being a great defender. The media's assumption otherwise is professional and intellectual slothfulness on its fullest display.

11. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I have a feeling he might. If he can come in and have more games where he shuts down stars like this, I could see him EASILY getting in on the 2nd team, especially if we can make it to 1st or 2nd in the west.

People are going to see two things:
    1. Hayes has basically 0 offensive ability and yet he's getting minutes
    2. We have Scola and Landry available at the power forward spot, yet Hayes is getting minutes over them in specific situations. Scola and Landry are both solid PFs, and Hayes is finding time in the rotation despite this.

12. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

True story. Guys like Kobe Bryant are getting 1st teams every season, and as much as I appreciate his defense, Kobe isn't going to shutdown players like your Battier's and your Garnetts.

And while they are at it, they need to rename the MVP "Best offensive player award" because they frequently ignore defense when voting for the award. Garnett is called best defensive player in the league, yet even though he has an all-star caliber offensive game he still can't get solid MVP consideration? And I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but they should just call the award what it is.

13. fattedcalf

fattedcalf Member

you make good points but he should be able to work hard enough to hit free throws and hit a jump shot

14. Sym0™

Sym0™ Member

Im a big fan of the Chuckwagon but, i think he's gonna have trouble getting into the all defensive teams......unless he's gonna refine his offense.

Thats jsut the way the analysts are. but i just think Chuck's awesome for what he brings to the team. KG wouldnt mess wit Chuck on the low post.

But yes if it were up to me he would be the All Defensive Team

15. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

People don't appreciate defense like Hayes' or Battier's unless they see it every night. That's why guys like Bowen, who get deep into the playoffs, start to get some notice. Of course, the flip side of this is that there might be some other great second team defenders that I don't know about because they play on other teams that don't get on national TV much. Don't ask me who, because I already said I don't know.

Duffy

16. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

i love this guy. that is all.