1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes Should be NBA All-Defensive Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Nov 16, 2008.

1. bbjai

bbjai Member

I believe that the problem with him getting DPOY is that he doesn't block shots at his position and he doesn't alter shots either. If you look at a PF/C who actually wins the award they all can block shots or significantly alter shots. Camby and Garnett come to mind straight away.

When your talking about shut down D you always think of Perimeter defenders like Battier and Artest because they shutdown the main scorer generally. I think you will find that chuck will never even win the DPOY award because at his position he doesn't tick enough boxes to win it. Its sad to be judged as such but I've never seen a precedent for best shutdown defender in the post. Not to mention he doesn't get enough playing time to warrant any consideration.

2. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

he should juz thank god for the talent he possess. Being 6-9 will make him slower, and his quickness edge may not be there lik it is now.

But seriously, this guy shuts down every single great PFs except for maybe Mr. Duncan, who is so fundamentally sound that he can get good shots even if he can't push the other guy around.

3. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Let me repeat, KG is no match for Chuck's defense. Chuck can force garnett to take tough fade away jumpers.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Garnett has been successful against Chucks' defense, actually. KG likes the fade away jumper -- that's his pet move.

5. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Like someone mentioned in another thread.

KG = Hayes' Post D, Landry's Jumper/Explosiveness, Scola's Post Moves

6. bbjai

bbjai Member

No KG can block consistently so i would rate his D above Chucks

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Kelly Dwyer, are you reading this? Sounds like an article that nobody else is likely to write.<BR>

8. diegot143

diegot143 Member

one thing sticks out to me about chuck hayes. When we played the celtics Garnett got the ball with his excited way of being licking his lips at the opportunity to back the defender up and get two points. Well, the defender was chuck and when Garnett made a move to back up, it was just so funny, he gained not one inch, he backed up again to move the defender back, again nothing. I was like wow it looked like he was backing up on a truck. lol

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

do we have three of the 5 best defensive players in the game?

battier, hayes, artest

who else is in there? garnett, kirilenko... who am i missing?

yao, hayes, artest, battier, rafer is a nasty defensive unit. if you have the lead going into the 4th that lineup should be able to keep it, and that's not even counting t-mac once he gets the speed to stay in front of people back.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

you have a link to that?

11. choujie

choujie Member

Every summer people want Hayes to be traded. I'm glad they are not Morey. When we have Tmac, Yao and Artest, he becomes more important than Scola and Landry in a lot of situations.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's an Insider link.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=All-Defense

He put Hayes on his All-Defense 2nd team after the 06/07 season. This is what he said a year and a half ago:

13. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

He is good defender,when heis on the court,he helps Yao a lot in latest several seasons,especially when Van Gundy was our coach

14. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I was all good with this thread until I got to the line where the OP, presumably a Rockets fan, actually called our team a "pretender".

No playoff success? Sure. A lot to prove? Definitely. But a pretender? Hell no. This team, especially if healthy, is for real. Every Rockets fan should believe/know that.

Seriously, wtf.

/rant

15. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

his defense has seriously been increased this year. It is almost impossible to score on him. I think he became less focused on rebounds and tried to stop the shots even more.

16. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

Hayes is a good expert on defence,especially low digit.We have 3 guys who's good at defending,Battier Artest Hayes.Now I'm waiting Battier's back

17. notcool

notcool Member

Really glad to have a thread about Hayes. When I watch a Rox game, I always would not miss when Chuck is playing. His defense is so much fun to watch.

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Why are people saying Garnett's defense is THAT amazing? Garnett is a good defensive player, but against Chuck, his defense is a step below. Garnett works best as a help defender, looking after the post and blocking teammate guarded players.

Battier is similar to Garnett, but IMO Battier takes it to another level and plays both role effectively. He'll appear out of nowhere to take a charge (which IMO is a stat that HAS to be added to the NBA, it is more desirable than Blocks because you're guaranteed possession of the ball AND drawing a foul from the opponent player). If Battier had McGrady offense, he would've won defensive player of the year twice in a row. Offense wins fans remember?

Hayes is similar to Battier, but he makes his approach on big men. He is also a terrific defender in the sense that he will park the chuckwagon in the no parking zone to draw offensive fouls. Hayes is also better as a ball thief, his defense is basically not allowing the opponent to back down, and when they attempt to pivot over Hayes, Hayes will knock the ball right off the players hands. He even did that to Chris Paul. This leaves the only available object to score on Hayes is the fadeaway.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I appreciate his defense, but why hasn't his offense improved?

You know he works at it.....I wonder if it is all mental....

DD

20. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

I'm taking this up a notch....

Hayes for DPOY!!!