1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes Should be NBA All-Defensive Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

you get so tiresome.

this thread is about Chuck....you got plenty of other places to whine about your whipping boy....lets try to allow Chuck his moment in the sun of the fan's love.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Fair enough self appointed BBS cop....my bad.

Chuck is a great post defender.......we are lucky to have him as a backup on this team.

DD

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

its hard to believe we are the same age sometimes.

you are part of the problem, dont like that I call it like I see it...tough.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Ah, did I wrankle your feathers for calling it like I see it?

You had a fair point about the thread and Chuck but you threw the personal shot, so I retalitated in kind.

I guess everyone has their warts.

DD

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

didn't he say something about an injury he had when he was like 16 and he had been dealing with it since then, so he has just learned to play with the pain, yah he is tough as hell

6. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Chuck's performance vs. the Hornets yesterday was truly a thing of beauty.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

That was exactly my reaction last night. The significance did not lie in a wasted offensive possession with Chuck at the line, but rather the opportunity to force him out of the game. He was completely shutting down the lane all night.

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh in my opening post, because I recognize that many here do appreciate Chuck Hayes. I just get sick and tired of the glutton of threads suggesting scenarios packaging Hayes and some other scrub for a point guard, as if he's some expendable commodity.

Chuck Hayes is untouchable in my book. You want to trade the best big defender in basketball at $2million? Are you out of your mind? I hope this guy is coming off that Rockets bench until the day he retires because he flat out allows you to run your defensive scheme.

Deep down, I think he's the best defender in the game, bar none, far better than Battier or Artest. I just don't want to give way to too much hyperbole, but that's my honest belief. Consistently completely shutting down All-Star caliber NBA power forwards is unheard of. Noone in the game does that.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Chuck's raw On/Off numbers have been consistently awesome ever since he's been in the league:

Code:
    season   Def On/Off    Net On/Off
    05/06      -10.1         +12.9
    06/07       -9.1         +10.2
    07/08       -7.2          +4.8
    08/09      -16.7         +25.6

According to the Adjusted +/- report on 82games, Chuck had by far the best defensive Adjusted +/- for all players who've played at least 1000 minutes.

#48 durvasa, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

But do you do that when statistically the other team (other than Chuck) is shooting the highest percentage in the league?

Edit: from the free throw line I meant... didn't clarify

10. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

As long as Tim and KG are playing Chuck will never win the All Defensive Player Award and thats sad because the guy can straight up play D. Battier IMO should have made 1st Team last season. Why he didnt i have no idea. I guess its a popularity thing

11. 1onewonjuan

1onewonjuan Member

hayes really is a daam good baller, were lucky we found him. hes shorter than every single pf prolly, unless theres a 6'5 pf which there isnt. but even w/ the height he gives away he still plays very good defense and bangs those boards. on a scale of 1-5 his defense is 3 at the worst, i think its at 4 right now. and hes able to make layups around the rim most of the time, specially when tmac passes him the ball.

injuries dont hurt him too

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Chuck is a rare blend of quickness, strength and smarts.

Even on the offensive side of the floor, he is still in the right place at the right time, he just does not have the skills to finish.

But on D, he is ALWAYS in the right place, and making the play.

He takes hits, he plays tough, and he never complains.

While I like the guy, I would trade him if we could get a quality starting PG....but I am happy if we don't.

DD

13. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Quality starting PG's are few and far between in this league. Which PG would you give up Chuck and whoever for? There's no way we're ever going to sniff Paul/Williams/Roy. I don't think we'll ever get our hands on Rose (who is going to be a stud). It's tough. We could have got Billups, but let it slip.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

While I did not appreciate the way R2K pointed out my derailing, I did agree with his point, this is a thread celebrating Chuck....

My point about being willing to trade him was in response to Cabbage saying he would not trade him.

I have no inclination to trade him, but would trade any backup on the team if it got us a quality starter.

DD

15. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

he is our rock in the post.

16. arubato

arubato Member

I feel the same way when they Hornets tried to hack-a-chuck.. I felt that his presence frustrates them so badly that they want him out.

17. fattedcalf

fattedcalf Member

now i agree with everyone here that Chuck is a great defender but i have one major problem with him. you gotta think about Chuck from this perspective...i never did until recently but it makes sense. obviously we all know that he is a professional basketball player, which makes practicing and playing basketball his job. he gets paid around $2 mil a year. so with all of this presented, think about this:

the only knock against Chuck is that he is that his offense is limited which is a valid complaint. so why has he not gotten better over his 3 years in the league? he gets paid $2 mil a year to play basketball and his offense hasn't gotten any better over his career. he still can't shoot jumpshots and he still misses an occasional layup. i definitely respect Chuck's defense, i mean how can you not, but it's unacceptable that his offense hasn't improved over his career. what do you think?

18. wushui

wushui Member

He's got quick feet for sure. He reminds me of KG the way he switches on PNRs. He makes up for his lack of height with his amazing strength and toughness so that even PFs half a foot taller have a hard time posting on this brick (the good kind haha).

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Some guys just aren't good offensive players. Remember, we're talking about the best of the best here. If Chuck played a pick up game somewhere, he'd probably be great on both sides. But when you're playing at the NBA level, you have to be really good. Chuck isn't an NBA talent on the offensive end, but hey there are millions of athletes who work really hard on their game that will never be NBA talents on the offensive end either. Chuck just happens to be really, really good on the defensive end and he's got an abnormally strong nose for the ball. As you well know, being a great defensive player doesn't mean you have what it takes to be a good or even decent NBA offensive player.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

If Hayes has a little more offense, he'll be the "big man" version of Battier.