1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes or Kwame Brown

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Chronz, Oct 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Chronz

Chronz Member

Similar players, whos the upgrade?

2. AXG

AXG Member

Chuck Hayes, next?

3. x3ldonx

x3ldonx Member

Chuck Hayes, better basketball IQ. Alters the game because he is versatile, I mean look at the situations Adelman puts him in, and gives his defender a hard time.

4. Chronz

Chronz Member

Seriously? Ill let a few more chime in before giving my take, but Im abit shocked at the first response, was it really such an easy decision?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Kwame Brown is a good defender with nice size. Poor offensive player in general, but he's got the size and athleticism for finishing around the basket (as long as the ball doesn't squirt out of his hands). He's a good screener, as I recall.

Hayes is smarter, has quicker feet and hands, and is more versatile defensively. He doesn't take plays off, and he's a leader. He's very poor at putting the ball in the basket, but exhibits some nice offensive skills otherwise (passing, rebounding, screening).

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Neither one has offense or shotblocking ability. So, it's all about defense and rebounding. Chuck Hayes wins the battle in both categories.

Chuck is one tough little man, battling players that are 6" to 9" taller than him.

Kwame Brown has the body, but not the brain or heart of Chuck. Kwame plays like an undersized center.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

How are they similar players? One's a waste of a number 1 overall draft pick who's bouncing around from team to team getting paid more than he's worth because people hold out hope that some day he'll figure it out. The other is an undersized overachiever who gets paid less and plays less minutes but makes important plays in every game.

8. stab

stab Member

This decision is a lot harder than people think...

Kwame has a higher ceiling, but hasn't shown a lick of consistency since he has been in the league(almost a decade now), and really hasn't earned any respect of anyone in the league. Being one of the biggest busts(if not the biggest) of all time will always follow him.

Chuck on the other hand, got some extra looks and was able to carve out of niche and a playing career in the NBA thanks to very hard defensive work along with some good fortunes(injuries to starters). Plus, the fact that JVG loved him didn't hurt. Chuck has earned his place in the NBA. You know what you get when you have Chuck.

What it comes down to is do you like talent or experience.
    As for getting more bang for your buck, I'll take Chuck.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

haha
    I win

10. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Similiar in that they both have two arms and legs, sre african american and play professional basketball etc. Besides that 0 similiarities in style of play.

11. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Uhhhhhh yeah all about 2 seconds. Chuck Wagon. Kwame.....not once not neva

12. Steve_Francis_rules

Actually, it's not. Chuck Hayes knows how to play basketball, Kwame Brown does not.

I get so sick of hearing about how Brown has "talent" when we've been watching him for nearly a decade and he hasn't done anything to show it.

13. Chronz

Chronz Member

Bringing in draft stock should eliminate your opinion from this thread, no offense, but people really REALLY need to get over that. You bring up an interesting point about their market value, and its one I dont think we should simply overlook.

Put it this way, even when people KNEW Kwame was a bust, he still managed to find a decent contract. Bigs with his combination of nimble feet and strength to go with the size will always have a place in this league. Even if Hayes were to get a raise, do you think he would ever command Kwame money? This after everybody pretty much realizing what he is... I saw Kwame alot in LA, the bad rap he got from his stay was ridiculous. Nobody appreciated what he did bring.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How are they similar, other than that they are both poor offensive players? It's like saying Ryan Bowen and Shawn Bradley are similar.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude.

Chuck BY FAR...

Dirk or Keith Van Horn?

16. Chronz

Chronz Member

There are various degrees of ugly offensively, and save for Desmond Mason, none exhibit Hayes ineptness with his own individual scoring game. I dont think Hayes being undersized should be viewed as a tremendous strength, I mean I understand that it influences his center of gravity, and overall quickness laterally but I dont see why Kwame has to play like an "undersized center".

Hes always been a great post defender, he has the talent to defend his own man. Kwame's lack of IQ is apparent in a team structure, not when zoned in on his own player. You bring up their lack of shot blocking and both cases its a result of staying disciplined, Hayes because he has no talent for shotblocking otherwise, but Kwame because he truly aspires to play contest defense. So I dont agree with the dumb as bricks assessment when it comes to defense.

So if its not the O or D, then its got to be the rebounding. Im not so sure Hayes wins that battle. I suppose he should be given the benefit of the doubt based on Kwames history and Hayes strongs team numbers, but with Yao gone Im interested in seeing how Hayes responds.

17. Chronz

Chronz Member

Kwame is one of best post defenders in the league, Chuck is one of the best post defenders in the league. Both are adept PnR defenders, one plays with heart, the other has more talent. Statistically both have different strengths, I trust Kwame's more.

Bowen and Bradly didnt even play the same position or playing style, one was a shotblocking C, and the other was a hustle defensive SF/PF.

18. Chronz

Chronz Member

You do realize the only reason I made this thread was because I knew you couldnt formulate a decent argument yourself and I needed something to debate. So in many ways, we both win. :D

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

no reason to form an argument, it's a no brainer

20. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

This is a pretty good comparison. Kawme Brown is surprisingly on of the elite post defenders in the league along with Chuck Hayes. He's also a big body that fills up the paint something which Chuck Hayes is not. I really love Hayes and a big fan of his but with extended minutes I think our interior is really going to get exposed.