1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes not signing with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Yep... I'm sad

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

At this point that is the case. Although you should add "washed out" as opposed to "scrub".

3. roswell raygun

Williams signed with a team in China. He won't be available until February or March.

4. Kash

Kash Member

I'll have a hard time sleeping tonight due to this.

5. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

:confused: How old do you think he is??

(FYI, he's only 32).

6. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Meh, nostalga is not a valid reason to want the guy back. we're trying to win a championship here, not make memories. He wouldn't have made much of an impact on our team.

7. basketballholic

Guys,

Don't be surprised if Morey adds a contract(s) through the Shved TPE and/or the minimum salary TPE or the Daniels/Canaan TPEs in the next couple days. There is also a smaller possibility of a 1 for 2 or 2 for 3 trade in the next few days as well (on or before Aug 29th since that is 60 days before the season starts and rosters have to be at 15).

Morey not signing Hayes is not about him not wanting Hayes. It's about having trade options and Harrell signing options (we have to tender him by Sept. 6 if we haven't already agreed to trade him or sign him) coming out of training camp before the start of the season and before the extension deadline (DMo/Jones).

Hayes may very well still be a Rocket later. But Morey is giving him room to sign elsewhere if he thinks he's going to miss an opportunity. I would fully expect if Morey can get business taken care of with Harrell with the required 1-year tender OR if he can trade Harrell and others for value that Morey will immediately re-visit Hayes if Hayes is still available.

#47 basketballholic, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  8. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

What if Morey traded for Al Horford out of the blue? hahaha!

We'd be calling for a statue of DM outside of the TC hahaha

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Funny -- I was thinking just last night that his deal still hanging out there wasn't a great sign. Not largely impactful from a basketball standpoint. Disappointing (to me) from a nostalgic/emotional standpoint.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

hahaha

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At the end athleticism and potential won out over veteran leadership.....that your best player (Harden and Howard) are paid to provide

If roster spots or cap space are limited then choices have to be made.

Not shocking......not even shocking if they let someone like Harrell go although that would also be a waste of draft pick......

12. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

My only concern is how does this make the rox org look. Verbally agree and then pull the rug out. That will leave a foul taste in some agents mouths

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Great, the Houston Rockets are now the DeAndre Jordan of NBA teams. :p

14. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

He wasn't likely to get much PT maybe spot minutes in the right match-ups or an injury. He should take the coaching gig and play everyday at practice, teaching the young guys, then if trade or injury happens and we can sign him to be a player/coach he might actually get a few minutes and be ready. Maybe there is a rule I'm not aware in the CBA that wouldn't allow it.

Harrell must be holding steady for more money.

15. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Understandable call by the organization. But certainly one of those things that you wonder if it will cause future troubles via the team's rep among agents.

Sad for Chuck, he's a pro's pro and deserves better than to get cast back out into the free agent pool after most teams have filled their rosters. But it's a business, and the business reason for it is pretty strong with the Harrell situation.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Seriously, this is not cool.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Which I think sucks. Since I don't expect either him or Hayes will play much of any minutes, Hayes would be the guy who would provide more value this season. Hayes can bring leadership and mentorship. All Harrell can do is carry Dwight's bag. I get the rationale of investing in the guy that could potentially have value in a few years, but for a contender in win-now mode, I'd take whatever I can actualize today. And that's Hayes. If Harrell doesn't want to sign for the minimum, we can trade him for another pick for later. I know he's risen in stature since the draft in some people's minds, but to me he's still just a second round pick.

If we can't sign Hayes to a minimum deal, I don't know how we're going to sign any of these other guys either.

Sucks we're going to lose Hayesfan again too! :(

18. NotChandlerParsons

What's the holdup on Harrell anyway? Second round picks are getting pushier and pushier...

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What a shame!

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Meh, he was going to be the 15th best player on the roster, not really a loss.