1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes Free Throw Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Dec 22, 2007.

1. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

It's painful to watch him shoot FT. To be honest with you, I usually change the channel when one of the Rockets is shooting a FT, I'm just superstitious like that. Plus the Rockets have been shooting at a terrible percentage anyways and I don't want to watch them miss another one.

2. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

It has to be mental. He has much better shot form than his FT form. He probably doesn't think about it when he takes a jumpshot but when he's on the FT line in front of everyone he probably gets nervous.

I remember I almost airballed in my first HS game when I shot a FT...and I'm a pretty good shooter. I got so nervous. The whole gym is watching you...you get used to it after a while but at first it sucks. Chuck should be used to it by now he's had some relatively big plays...just not at the FT line lol.

GO CHUCK HAYES YOU'RE STILL A BALLER.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

"Tweaking" his free throw is what start this problem. He shot a poor but not horrible percent last season and some genius (I assume an Adelman assistant) decided they could "tweak" that shot and make him better. Instead, they have him thinking about the shot so much that he now has the ugliest free throw in the history of the game.

Somewhere out there Chris Dudley is smiling.

4. awo86

awo86 Rookie

ya tats rit baby...show the brother some love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

9. duct tape left foot to floor

6. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

Somehow I like Chuck's FT, since it brings at least a smile for me :D .

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LOL :D

8. code_red

code_red Member

As Clyde Drexler said:

"Chuck we need to speak. Houston, we have a problem."

9. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Or one handed

10. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Contributing Member

My God, the Denver game was the first time I've seen Hayes shoot FT's (didn't have cable the past couple years) and I have to say that is the ugliest thing I've seen in basketball EVER. I bet the majority of people on this board could shoot FT's much better than Hayes including myself.

11. Man

Man Contributing Member

lol man, i love his free throw shooting!

it's hilarious to see the lane violations like over and over again

i'm guessing his shooting is why he wasn't drafted

12. pdiddy

pdiddy Contributing Member

What else does Chuck really have to practice? Do you think he shoots as many free throws during practice as Yao? I don't think so, and Yao is a 80+% free throw shooter. I think it is a disgrace to be honest. It's not too late to correct his form, because he doesn't have any form. It is not like you risk messing up his shot. I never really understood someone who gets paid for a job not put in the work. We do it everyday or we would get fired.

13. blastaway

blastaway Member

There really is no excuse for that type of shot. The Rockets as an organization should be embarassed to allow a player, especially one in the starting lineup, to go out there and stink up the free throw line like that.

As a whole, this coaching staff isn't doing a good job helping the team shoot free throws better. The coaches have to put more emphasis on this aspect of the game to make the players practice it more. I think at this level, it's almost as if they give up teaching technique and just expect that everyone should already know their best technique.

I say, bring in Calvin Murphy, the best rocket free throw shooter ever, and have him to give the WHOLE team lessons.

14. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

I laugh everytime that he shoots a free throw. I am 100 times better than him in free throw. I dont why he didnt ever learned to shoot. He is in nba and he dont to know the fundamentals of a free throw.
    PS: He is even worser than Ben Wallace.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Code:
                    FTM      FTA       FT%
    Ben Wallace     933     2227      41.9%
    Chuck Hayes      86      143      60.1%

Not much consolation, but he's not quite yet worser than Ben Wallace. He's 2-9 to start the year. I'm sure Wallace has had a ton of 2-9 stretches (or worse) during his career.

His stroke is definitely uglier than Ben's. Can't deny that.

16. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

The worst free throw shooter in the league is by far Josh Boone. I picked him up in fantasy for his blocks and rebounds, but the guy is absolutely killing my ft%.

FTM/G: .7
    FTA/G: 2.5
    Season %: 29%

Horrible.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He is much worse this year than preveious years. Its obvious the crack assistant coaches of the Adelman gang tried to fix his shot and made things much worse.

18. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

They've made everything worse!

19. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

20. ekim

ekim Member

He needs to fix this...

This is embarrassing for him AND his team.