1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Doin' Work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pmac, Nov 5, 2009.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, I thought it would be pretty interesting to track Chuck Hayes’ activity throughout this game since it is against Kobe’s Lakers. Also interesting because while “Kobe Doin’ Work” focused on a normal game from the point of view of a 6’6 Laker, we can watch what goes on from the point of view of our own 6’6 Rocket. Obviously the game is a little different for each guy, different roles, different positions, etc. One thing that remains the same is the intensity.

Oh, and there’s no video just a transcript of all the great things our most intelligent and effective defender does on a game by game basis. If you like, you can watch Chuck Doin' Work here .

Transcript
    -Bynum leaks out to the three point line as Kobe cuts to the lane but Hayes slides in and Odom is forced to pass it, an easy bucket is prevented.

-Ariza feeds Chuck down low who is covered by 3 guys so he makes a crafty bounce pass to Scola for the 15 footer.

-Hayes slides over to defend Artest on the drive and rotates to Odom as the lakers swing the ball around, no one picks up Bynum and he gets an easy dunk (Bynum scores but it’s not really Hayes’ fault)

-Bynum tries to back down Hayes who stands his ground and rebounds Bynum’s missed shot

-Hayes boxes Bynum way out of rebounding position, nearly out of the paint, and Ariza swoops in for the rebound

-Hayes takes the ball right out of Odom’s hands after a missed lay in which was defended well by Ariza

-Bynum attempts to back down Hayes to no avail. He misses the shot and is cleanly boxed out by Hayes, Scola jumps in for the rebound,

-Kobe comes down the court and tries to get it to Bynum, Hayes picks off the pass and it goes to Scola to start the break.

-Shane inbounds the ball to Ariza who passes to Hayes for a nice lay in.

-Chuck applies the right amount of pressure to Bynum under the rim and then backs off just enough to throw off his balance. Bynum blows the lay in.

-Chuck nearly takes the ball from Odom as he goes up for a lay up and forces him to miss the shot as it is tipped out of bounds.

-After a missed lakers shot Chuck runs the court and gets a transition lay in

-Chuck finds AB on a cut to the basket with a beautiful skip pass to the paint from almost the 3 pt line.

-Ariza misses a shot and Chuck wrestles with Kobe for a loose ball (we know how that ends) he picks up the foul call.

-Chuck comes out of the game [1st quarter, 3:11]

-Chuck checks into the game [2nd quarter, 6:56]

-Chuck cuts to the basket as Powell turns his head and Ariza finds him for a layup

-Chuck posts up and finds Shane near the rim on the baseline who puts up a nice hook over Odom.

-Ariza misses a three but Chuck fights for the offensive board and Powell knocks it out of bounds leading to another rockets possession.

-Chuck comes out of the game [2nd quarter, 3:28]

-[start of 2nd Half]

-Chuck picks off Fisher who can’t get back to defend AB on the 3 pointer

-Chuck fouls Odom trying to block Odom (come on big fella, you can’t do everything)

-Chuck steps out of bounds trying to drive around Bynum (see above)

-Chuck tips the ball back to himself after an Ariza missed 3, another rockets possession

-Kobe drives to the rim and Chuck just takes the ball right away from him, frustrating Kobe so much that he picks up a technical foul.

-Chuck fouls Odom again trying to block his shot, Odom scores and gets the and1

-Chuck passes to Ariza in the paint from the high post, he scores after a couple moves

-Chuck tips the ball to Scola after a missed Odom jumper

-Chuck snags the offensive board after a missed 3 by Ariza

-Shane pops the ball loose from bynum and Chuck grabs it quickly

-Just as Worrell makes a comment about getting the ball to Olajuwon, Chuck cuts to the rim and lays it in off of a nice Ariza pass (almost reminds you of the Drea…okay not really).

-Chuck comes out of the game [3rd quarter, 31.8 seconds]

-Chuck checks back in [4th quarter, 9:30]

-Bynum tries to back down Hayes (why not just give up at this point, it ain’t happenin’), another missed hook which leads to a Hayes rebound.

-Landry passes to Chuck from under the basket, he tosses up a hook that misses (nice form though)

-Bynum picks off Shane and Chuck quickly switches on Kobe preventing what could have been an easy 3 (something he continues to do on the Bynum/Kobe PnR for the duration of the game).

-Scola notices Bynum coming over to double and quickly dishes it to Hayes who cuts to the basket for a lay up.

-Chuck hits Fisher with a solid pick that leads to an open 3 for Brooks

-Chuck saves the ball to shane off of a Rockets’ he can’t quite handle it, lakers ball

-Chuck strips Kobe on the double after the PnR and steps out of bounds

-Chuck taps the ball down on the lob to Bynum at the end of regulation.

[Overtime]

-Bynum passes to a cutting Artest from the post, Chuck slides over and forces the miss

-Chuck gets the offensive board off of a missed shot and passes it out to Shane for a wide open 3, he misses but Chuck fights for that board with Artest and a jump ball is called, Hayes wins the tip.

-Ariza is doubled on the PnR, he finds Chuck open in the paint for a lay in

-AB cuts into the lane drawing the D and finds Chuck in the open space for a lay in.

-Bynum gets the ball right under the rim, Chuck makes the right decision and intentionally fouls him

-Chuck intentionally fouls Bynum again. He was coming late after doubling Kobe, unfortunately it’s his 6th foul and he has to leave the game. [OT, 24.7 seconds]

When I started tracking Chuck's activity in this game I had no idea he'd play so well offensively but his defensive impact is still his greatest value to the team, something we can count on every game.

3 people like this.
  2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Something I don't know if everyone noticed, but me. In the fourth quarter after several possessions of Bynum setting the Kobe screen and Chuck cutting him off.. the Lakers actually changed their strategy in order for Kobe to get away from our masked man.

Instead of setting the screens with Bynum.. they started doing it with Artest... and then they did iso's with Kobe on the block opposite Bynum so that there was only Scola was able to double off of Artest

3. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Hayes is a monster right now!!!

4. hello2

hello2 Member

He has certainly caught the eye of Kelly Dwyer (Ball Don't Lie).

5. Jimes

Jimes Member

Chuck Hayes for MVP!! He & Battier are deservedly co-captains though what Chuck brings is probably even easier to overlook (if that were possible) than Battier.

Thanks to OP for keeping track of all that.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

if chuck keeps this up for the entire season (which he very well can do) if he doesnt make any of the 'all-defense' team it goes to show how much of a joke those things really are

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

You set your sights too low. I'm looking for some MVP consideration :D :eek:

In all seriousness, he is definitely the MVP of this team. The squad looks like an entirely different group of individuals the minute he leaves the court and I don't mean in a good way. Lowry and Battier are the only truly good (Battier being great) defenders on the team other than Chuck. Scola and Landry have huge deficiencies. Brooks is not bad but not good. Ariza is highly overrated defensively but is still just short of being good.

I'm dead serious when I say that if Hayes was not on this team it would be average or slightly below average defensively.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Oh man, I wanted to do a "Chuck Doin' Work" thread some time later this season. You beat me to the punch.

Nice post.

9. alcatrazpsycho

This is what cost the Rockets the game.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Seriously? I thought someone would have liked to do something similar on Shane but with Yao out and Chuck's improved finishing ability, I think Chuck might actually be the better player, he's the better defender.

...and yes I have my flame suit on.

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

:) That's okay you can just add analysis to it later. the only thing that will likely stop Chuck is an injury (knock on wood)

durvasa I continually use your links in your sig to find those sites, can I ask you to add the popcornmachine site as well? :)

12. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

People seem to be noticing his low post defense now, but his pick and roll defense is really good too. He hardly ever makes a mistake and rotates on defense extremely well. I've started paying more attention to him over the past couple years.

13. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Somebody has to say it.... It's time to trade Yao while his value is still high, extend Chuck's contract, and sign a few free agents over the summer to complement... and compliment him.

14. ibm

ibm Member

chuck for all star! do y'all hear me, chinese fans? :p duncan is too old.

15. MD_in_Training

... you want to build around Chuck? I mean, he's a great hustle and defensive player, but come on.

16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

17. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

chuckwagon ftw.. 14 and 14! i hope to see that every game!

18. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Great post. I kept thinking that Jackson would kill us on the p'n'rs with Bynum -I wasn't so much afraid of Ron-Ron because we had perimeter size and the interior strength to play him. But Chuck was just brilliant.

I hate that we didn't get the win, but I'm so proud of this team and I don't think that Chuck will ever play a better game. Too cool.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

it would be great if you could, but with video :)

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

lol. Go watch that play again and tell me he isn't being dramatic. Time was running out and he had the ball just feet from the basket. What do you think is going to happen?