1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chrysler won't repay bailout money

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by sabirk, May 6, 2009.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I love the whinning about Obama giving stake in Chrysler to the UAW, I mean the current owners were doing a swell job. The Union is a creditor, now they take stock, just like any other creditor would who has a stake in a bankrupt company.

you guys want the the union to give up everything they've gained over the years, they would be idiots to do so, just like the hedge funds who have a stake didn't want to take pennies on their dollars.

This is a concession for the Union, they get a bankrupt dinasour automaker, whoopteefreakindoo

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

chrysler's cars are crap.

i remember a friend who had a dodge neon, and when it got stolen, my friend was the happiest person on earth. took the insurance money and put it down on an accord.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If only... LOL. OMG, Obama should just screw the UAW folks. They aren't really important. They are less important than other citizens. That's fo sho...

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and what do investors in chrysler get?

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

do you understand bankruptcy, or are you just b****ing because this was obama?

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i do, that's my point- the UAW has been placed in line ahead of chrysler's creditors, which flies in the face of centuries of bankruptcy law and precedent.

7. insane man

insane man Member

what's the planned payout for the other creditors versus UAW?

and can't different unsecured creditors get different payouts? fair and equitable treatment doesn't mean exact same treatment. UAW's interests are more aligned with keeping chrysler a healthy viable company than a typical unsecured creditor, no? does that not allow a bankruptcy court to give them different payouts?

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The UAW is a creditor. What do you think they have given up in exchange for ownership?

edit: look up general motors balance sheet since its public. see how much money they owe in post retirement benefits.

#28 pgabriel, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The problem is that the Union was given far more favorable terms than the bondholders for political reasons. And the unions were a big reason the company went down.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the union has the biggest stake in chrysler surving also

11. Major

Major Member

Maybe I'm not understanding, but why did Chrysler or the Bondholders have to accept that if they felt it unfair? If they were going to avoid bankruptcy as a result, I'd understand. But if they were going to bankrupt either way, why do it?

I really don't know the details, but is it possible the UAW got a stake in exchange for other concessions on wages and other things that they didn't have to give up?

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know how much they gave up but there are reports that UAW is selling some of its stock in the company to cover retiree obligations

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can still always vote at the shareholders meeting every 2 years. ;)

14. Mr. Clutch

You are right, I am actually thinking of GM here, where the bondholders have not agreed. However, there are a small group of Chrysler bondholders who have not agreed to the terms, but most have.

Yes, as I understand it, the UAW got a stake in exchange for concessions.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can't say I expected to get that money back, but Bush's and Obama's guys were saying we'd get this money back, we'd be first in line, etc. etc., when they were pitching this loan. I don't think you should call it a loan when you have no expectation of being repaid.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm going to let you in on the big secret. Washington D. C. is filled with liars. ;)

17. Mr. Clutch

Best option would have just been to let them fail, IMO, and use the billions to help laid off employees. Instead, Chrysler will live on to suck down capital into a black hole. If Fiat can actually make it profitable, I would be surprised.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm a bit surprised that Fiat is considering taking on an albatross company. It can't be that the US govt is leaning on them to do it. Aren't there better investments out there for Fiat to make?

19. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

How long are we going to debate how to make poop smell good?

20. Major

Major Member

It's an albatross of a company because of its debt and labor situation and the quality of its cars. But brandwise, it's actually pretty strong - the #4 highest-selling brand in the US, I believe. It's a great way for Fiat to break into the US market. The debt situation is resolved. Assuming the bankruptcy (and partial UAW ownership) helps create a better labor situation, Fiat can deal with the quality issue themselves (assuming they know how to produce quality cars than Chrysler did). And they are instantly in the US market with pre-built manufacturing facilities and dealerships.

Sort of the same thing as the Chinese car companies looking at Saturn as a way to break into the US market.