1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronicle] Van Gundy's frustrations spill into public setting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

<b><font size="3"><a href="http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3701679.html">Van Gundy's frustrations spill into public setting</a></font></b>
    March 5, 2006, 12:23AM
    NBA NOTEBOOK

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Jeff Van Gundy's observations this week — they were not "rants," he pointed out, because he was perfectly calm — somehow were stunning. They should not have been.

Actually, they were revealing, not about the Rockets. That much was clear during the game. They revealed what goes on behind those walls.

A day after the Rockets went down meekly to the 76ers, Van Gundy ripped his team. Nothing new there, but he seemed especially pointed, even by his standards, when he said the Rockets have just two players — Juwan Howard and Ryan Bowen — that make inspiring effort plays and that the team is "uninspirable."

That was pretty strong stuff. Most damning of all, Van Gundy said it would be wrong to assume the Rockets even want to make the playoffs.

"You would have to ask them that," he said a day later when asked if the long-shot chance at the playoffs could be motivating. "It's hard to generalize. Some players it may be motivating to. Other players it may be de-motivating to, that they may have to work an extra period of time.

"You would have to ask them, but the only way you can really know, just watch how we play."

Van Gundy watched the videotape of how they played against the 76ers until he could stand it no longer. Why he shared those opinions so frankly seemed less obvious.

By the time he ranted — make that "shared" his observations — Van Gundy had no doubt seen and shared the videotape evidence of all those opinions with his team. He was surprised to find anyone surprised with all he said.

"You know what's funny," he said. "I love when you're asked a question, you give an honest answer and it's 'ranting.' If you don't want an honest answer, don't ask. Just say, everything was great, everything is fine, well-competed against the Sixers. Boy that was great, giving them 50 points in the paint and giving them 25 fast-break points. Gee our guys, it's hard being a NBA player.

"No rant. It's just honest. I never understood why anyone would ask a question and then judge the answer other than that's how I see it."

But the way the Rockets had played against the 76ers, Van Gudy was not sure that making a March move mattered to his players, as if they might be satisfied with calling it a tough, injury-plagued year and moving on.

Every team has surges and slowdowns in intensity and energy. The Rockets can't afford them. When it comes to "jump high" and "run fast," they are usually at a disadvantage. They have to be at top speed just to keep up. And in the race for a playoff spot, they must come from back in the pack.

Still, if Van Gundy's comments were merely a sample of what he said behind closed doors, he had offered another taste before the Philadelphia game when asked about Tracy McGrady.

"This is not harsh, and I think Tracy would acknowledge this: We have not been playing with him, to where he's been really in it, the last month," Van Gundy said. "I would like to see us with him energetic and feeling better personally so he could put forth a great energy level and see where we could go.

"Tracy cannot be stopped by anyone in this world. He may have an occasional bad shooting night, but he cannot be stopped by anyone, except himself. When he is right energy-wise and intensity wise, there is no better player in this world, and I really mean that."

By now, he seems to "really mean" all of it. But rather than sending messages to the team through his public addresses, it seems he's been offering glimpses of what he said on the other side of those walls.

Does anyone expect anything different? By now, it was clear before Van Gundy spoke; this team has no chance down the stretch if its rider does not go to the whip.

2. ergo

ergo Member

Man Gundy sure loves Howard and Bowen :D
    Do they really make make all sorts of "inspiring" plays?

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The way I look at his infatuation with Bowen is this : if a guy with that little talent and skill can hustle, make plays, and cause defensive disruptions, why can't a guy with all the God-given abilities of a Stromile Swift give at least 75-80% of what Bowen can give in terms of that hustle. If he did, Swift would be among the top 5-6 PF's in this leagues - I honestly believe that. I think he's trying to inspire others by giving time to and pointing out these 2. If they're not inspired or driven to do better then they're chumps.

4. superden

superden Contributing Member

this team def need heart. comon boys, this isnt even funny anymore.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow,

A lot of us said the same thing a couple of weeks ago about TMac and company and got blasted for it.

So...here is one big ole can of....

I TOLD YA SO !!

:D

Feel much better now.

DD

6. jli

jli Member

Once a quitter, always a quitter !

7. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Hey if Heart and Hustle gets the Rocks 6 points, 6 rebounds, 0 blocks (which is what Juwon averages as a PF) in 32 mins. Then give me lazy and producing please. I need not mention what Rybo's contributions are. Hey getting a loose ball here and there are nice and all, but come on JVG.

8. terse

terse Member

What if T-Mac really has been hurt all this time? Is it entirely good for the franchise, long term, to push him this hard? JVG could save his own job for a year by lashing T-Mac and forcing him to ruin his back. But the team loses heavily in the long run if T-Mac has to retire early because of the unnecessary abuse.

So my position boils down to one question: Is JVG certain that T-Mac is healthy enough to play intensely without damaging his body? If he is, JVG's criticisms are legit. If not, I hate JVG.

9. sun12

sun12 Member

I think T-mac is far better a GM than CD or JVG. T-mac clearly saw the team won't be a championship team without adding another major player, or a third star. But Rox has no cap space to make a major move during the off-season. Therefore, T-mac is intentionally tanking so that the team can get an excellent draft position in the coming NBA draft. The team then can keep the draft for an excellent pick or trade the high draft pick for the 3rd star.

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

i found this to be very interesting:

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

So I understand T-Mac was sad about the sickness and passing of his mother-in-law, but is there anything else that is going on? Is he 'better' or are we looking at an issue of his back or something deeper emotionally?

Whatever is going on he is clearly a step (or two) slow mentally and physically.

12. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Nothing to add. Carry on.

13. drewpy

drewpy Member

I dont see any inspired play from Juwon. He is a horrible rebounder and that is only because of lack of effort. He is always watching the ball come down rather than going after it. Chuck Hayes goes after every single rebound. Juwon has a temper and gets fired up emotionally but I dont see that tranferred to smart or even helpful play.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think this is exactly what Van Gundy is saying. We all know Bowen is a scrub, but he gives 110% when he's on the court... 110% of what he's got. Swift is the classic under-achiever. I was hot to get him, but like many of us here, hadn't seen him enough to be aware of the sporatic effort he gives. It's a lot easier to coach a player who gives 75% night in and night out, every night, of what a player gives every three games or so. (in Bowen's case, maybe 10 or 20% is a better comparison) Lack of consistancy will give a coach ulcers, if he hasn't got one already. Swift must be driving JVG nuts.

Yes, if Swift gave 75% of the effort, consistantly, that we see from Bowen, he would be everything we need at the 4. He doesn't, not even close. It cracks me up how we'll see all these threads saying to,"Start Swift!", or, "Swift has arrived!" after a good game. If Swift has 7, 8 or a dozen games in a row where he performs even close to his potential, then sure. The way he is now? It's enough to give everyone a ticket to the funny farm, only it ain't funny.

#14 Deckard, Mar 5, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  15. forebay

forebay Member

I am sick and tired of this clawn.

Fire JVG before he kill this team.

16. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

How is howard not under achieving?? he is avergin 6.6 rbs a game..tracy has more..and howard has played almost every game.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Great quote right there.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I will give you that when talking about Bowen.

How about Howard? Please do explain.

19. verse

verse Contributing Member

the one thing that i will give juwan howard over the other bigs on the rockets is he does add a certain "mean streak" to the frontcourt. i don't know of any other rocket that will give a hard foul under the basket. he is our de facto "enforcer". that is valuable on a team that certainly lacks an "edge".

i hate to say it, but we are SOFT. it's one thing to be soft and have talent...the spurs proved that for years by fielding tissue soft players (minus avery) and still being legit contenders. however, we are charmin-esque without great talent.

20. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Yep! I actually like Juwan, seems like a class guy especially when he shoved the ball in Mike James face, but if he is our "enforcer" then we are in big trouble.