1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle throws us several bones-

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Mar 11, 2001.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A very good Sports section, with several noteworthy points: <a href="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/845897">Article</a>

Notes
    About to pay off

For years, Warriors center Marc Jackson waited by the phone, hoping for a chance to play in the NBA. This season, he won't have to wait for it to ring. Teams will be waiting for him.

Jackson, a front-runner for Rookie of the Year, will be one of the more coveted free agents. He said he was looking forward to that, and his face lit up when asked how he would feel if the Rockets came calling.

"Oh man, that would be great," said Jackson, who sat out Saturday's game with a strained right groin. "With Cat (Cuttino Mobley), Steve (Francis), Kenny (Thomas), they have some great young talent. That would be a great place to be."

For Jackson, the climb to this season's rookie-leading averages of 13.2 points and 7.5 rebounds has been a long road from the 1997 draft, when Jackson -- who played at Temple -- slipped to the second round and ended up playing in Europe.

He thought back to the 1996 draft and that night's Philadelphia summer league game against Rockets guard Sean Colson.

"We watched the draft and then really went at it that night," Jackson said. "I remember me and Sean talking about it. It made us hungry. I'm still hungry. I'm never going to be satisfied. It's going to be nice, extremely nice (to be a free agent) instead of stressing, will it be Europe, the NBA. This time, I know it will be the NBA and some damn good money, also. But I'm going to keep the same mentality."

Colson and Jackson became friends in Philadelphia when they were in elementary school. They became friends with Mobley a few years later.

"We talk a lot," Colson said. "I used to get mad at him for going overseas. He had to take care of him and his family. But I knew he was good. I knew he could play in the league.

"The funny thing is, he used to tell me not to go overseas because he said I could play in the league."

[Also note Colson was signed to a 2nd 10-day
    contract, Rudy said he's played well in practice, and has picked up the offense quickly.]

--I couldn't find the other part on the internet so I'll post the details from the actual paper, it's page 6B. My notes are in parentheses.

With extra picks, Rockets can feel a draft
    1. Orlando Magic pick by 2004, but gets less protected each year, top 17 protected this year, top 13 protected next year, top 6 protected in '03. Article says we'll likely get the Suns or Knicks pick THIS year via Orlando.
    2.Pistons pick is until 2004, anyone's pick, not necessarily (hmm, didn't they just get one from Toronto in the JYD deal?)
    3. Bucks owe Rockets their first rounder this year if it's not top 15. (oops, shouldn't that be top 10?)
    4. Bulls owe Rockets their own first rounder in the next 4 years, however if they don't feel compelled to give up their first rounder in the next 4 years (rules of the pick based on their record), they can, and likely will, send us a pair of 2nd rounders in 04.

That should clear up stuff for JuanValdez's page, also note the article has a picture of Shane Battier with the caption "Duke of Houston?: Fans might think Shane Battier would look great in a Rockets uniform." And the article also mentions Jason Kapono, Troy Murphy, and Shane Battier (again).

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited March 11, 2001).]

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

But did they say anything about the pick owed to the Grizz?

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Special Assignment: ZRB Patrol

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

so, can draftsource.net throw us several bones and email troy murphy, shane battier et al and ask them how'd they'd like to play with Cat, Steve and Kenny?

If you need email addresses, maybe you can sponsor a challenge between mango and I on who can deliver the most email addresses.

An InfoMercenary Challenge:

GAME ON!!

4. Mango

heypartner,

Boozer too?

Mango

------------------

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mango-no mention of the Vancouver pick owed.

heyparty-I'd like to see that, but it can't be the "troy_murphy@notredame.edu" type, gotta be their personal email. And you automatically lose if you have a restraining order put against you.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

so much for Marc Jackson's rumored loyalty to the Warriors. Perhaps that happens if your team sucks.

------------------
    git it tag, git it!

7. Mango

This email thing is hard.

Have to think of a fresh approach.

Mango

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited March 11, 2001).]

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Is it legal for student athletes to discuss the desire to play on professional teams?

Awww.. who cares. [​IMG]

Professional agents have these guys email addresses. The team has these guys email addresses... Their parents have their addresses.

Which path will you guys take? [​IMG]

------------------
    git it tag, git it!

9. Mango

Almost ready to find a white towel to throw in the ring.

I don't have any of those connections that you mentioned and the email addresses aren't going to be published all over the 'Net for any old spider to discover.

Mango

------------------

10. Ali Cat

Ali Cat Member

So I found Kapono's real address, but no email. UCLA doesn't care about its students. hehe. Anyways, Duke must protect their athletes. Seton Hall won't let me search students at all. Hmmm. Maybe someone should look and try and find that big ass Chinese guy's email. [​IMG]

------------------
    Poopy!

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You know, I have to smile and pat myself on the back a little.

About two months ago, McPaper (USA Today) printed an article about Marc Jackson. I typed the article almost verbatim here, but I invented a paragraph about "where he would like to play" with a "quote" from Jackson that went something like, "Man, playing in Houston would be great...great young team." Then I mentioned how I made up that quote, but wouldn't it be nice to land the player? I didn't get many replies in the thread, but the first was Achebe's: YOU b*stard was all he said. Ah, a proud moment. I even voiced my "quote" in such a way that you thought the player himself said it; and here his actual words nearly match.

Maybe with big-time luck we can send Cato to a team with cap space (Detroit, Chicago) to help us land Marc Jackson. Hey, it would take 4.6 million to start, but Cato's getting 5.33 this year, but of the two, one actually plays for his $$$.

------------------

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How about this?
    Golden State Signs and Trade MArc Jackson to
    use for Cato and Walt or/a Draft Pick [2nd round]

Question: HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY MARK JACKSON?
    Is he good for Cato money? or even more?

Rocket River

------------------

13. Band Geek Mobster

I just don't understand all of the love Jackson is getting. Sure he's a big surprise and a free agent, but he doesn't play like a center.

He doesn't rebound that well, he doesn't play good defense, and he's not that great of a shooter. Sure he's decent, but he's not great.

He just looks like a taller Mo Taylor to me.

I always thought the need was a strong Center that doesn't have to score but instead does the little things. Marc Jackson doesn't seem like that kind of guy to me.

So could someone please explain to me whats so great about Jackson?

Maybe I'm just missing something.

------------------
    IT'S THE BAND GEEK MAFIA!!

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited March 11, 2001).]

14. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Could the Rockets be positioning themselves to make a run at Marc Jackson? Maybe the Webber rumors are just a smoke screen. Or could they be planning on going after both of them? "Holy mackerel, Batman!" Tune in next week. Same time, same bat channel. [​IMG]

------------------

15. University Blue

Nothing. He's not that great of a rebounder or defender and his offensive moves are a bit raw/awkward.

I'm not sure why people are so excited about Jackson, either.

------------------
    Not only have the Bryce Drew and Jason Williams bashers crossed the line, but they've sprinted a couple of miles beyond it.

16. Cat5

Cat5 Member

I'd think they forgot about Dallas' pick via Orlando. At this point it's the latest of all Orlando's 2001 1st round picks.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The thing on Marc Jackson
    is that he *IS* still raw
    but could be a upgrade from CATO

Rocket River

------------------

18. Colby

Colby Member

The draft senario looks like we will have 20 and 23. Gotta look to trade up or something. Not gonna find much that late, but the Rocks are pretty good at drafting lately.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Marc Jackson averges 17 pts and 10 rebounds as a starter. He also shoots over 80 pct from the free throw line.

At 270 lbs he has the bulk to bang down low with the other big boys in this league.

Sounds pretty good to me.

------------------

20. Band Geek Mobster

Thanks for answering my question. Does he play defense?

I'll admit I dont know anything about this dude. My arguments in my previous post were mainly taken from his season totals, I didn't know his numbers as a starter. That's why I'm asking these questions.

------------------
    IT'S THE BAND GEEK MAFIA!!