1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Chronicle) No answers from Bagwell

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by sums41, Jan 13, 2006.

1. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He has only thrown 4 times since the World Series? What kind of rehab is that?

It sounds like he knows he will not be able to make it back, but wants to try to play anyway.

His surgery was in June, right?

Man, if he isn't throwing by now, he probably won't be throwing ever again.

Sad.

DD

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Wrong forum...This is the Vince Young/Reggie Bush Only Forum.

The problem is that Bagwell won't know if he can or can't until he gets to spring training. He isn't going to give it up without seeing where he is against other players. I believe his evaluation with Dr. Andrews is today. I'd love nothing more than to see Bagwell get back out there for one more season and be productive.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yeah, but how can he only have tossed the ball 4 times since the world series?

If he is truly rehabbing, wouldn't throwing be part of that rehab process?

Spring training is next month.

DD

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I have to agree. How can a professional baseball player (in the National League) only throw a baseball 4 times a month before spring training? If he wasn't hurt you would think they would want to at least play fetch with the damn dog or something. While I appreciate Bags determination, it seems that he may be fighting a lost cause. Regardless, I think the 'Stros owe him to go out on his terms, even if it doesn't make sense. Its only one more year.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

To me, throwing is something he can or can't do. I mean, once he is ABLE to throw (if that ever happens), I don't think he'll take more than a few sessions to get his throwing "right". Hopefully if he's done some drills or whatever in situations and just not actually performed the throws, he'll be ready.

So then all it is is him waiting until he thinks he's physically ready to start throwing. If it takes 4 more weeks and he gets 3 days of throwing before spring training, that might be enough..

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I say pull the plug. Package him in a trade to an AL team, so he can finish his career with dignity as a DH. He's done as a first baseman.

8. JJ

JJ Member

From the article:
    "From a getting-it-done point of view, he got it done," Purpura said. "Now we'll await the results."

What kinda quote is that? Stupid Purpura.

9. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

How is he suddenly going to be able to throw in a month? I don't see it.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Arm transplant?

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Change his name to Steve Austin?

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Bagwell needs to show that he supports and loves his Houston fans as much as we have for him over the past 15 seasons. Hang it up bags, your salary alone could cost us struggles this season and maybe even the next... do the right thing dude, your arm is trash.

13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

No AL team is going to pay 17 million for a DH, much less one that isn't really a long-ball threat anymore.

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'll be completely stunned if Bagwell can throw come start of the season. Here's hoping he tips his cap and rides out into the sunset under a standing ovation.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ridiculous. He did the right thing for many years and Drayton never got him any help. Drayton needs to do the right thing and add to this team enough pieces to win a WS. Players like Bags and Biggio deserve it.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I know. Alou, Bell, Johnson, Clemens, Pettitte, Beltran, and Caminiti were absolutely no help at all.

17. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Maybe he can become a switch-thrower?

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Why hasn't he thrown but a few times? Simple, he has to rebuild the strength in his arm first. It doesn't really surprise me that whatever he threw during his appointment didn't look great, according to him. Because the rehab wasn't designed for him to be able to throw today. It was, as he said, to be able to throw come spring training or opening day at the latest. Does it suck that we're not gonna have a definitive answer. Well yes. But if there's a hint that Bagwell can come close to his pre-surgery numbers, you take it...on this offensively challenged team.

Also keep in mind that, according to the article, the past 3 years he couldn't throw but five feet this time in the offseason. Yet he still played well come regular season.

And keep in mind that we are not Bagwell, his trainers/doctors, or part of the organization. So we are not privy to any definitive information regarding his status. So we shouldn't come to any assumptions (either way) based on an article in the Chroncile, of all places.

19. msn

msn Member

Well spoken!

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Well...what are Astros management going to do....force Bagwell to retire because they don't have all the answers by Jan. 31st? We're not going to know until spring training. The Astros management should know this. It is like they want to force the issue but can you force a player to retire? I would think not. Bagwell is holding all the cards. If I were him, then I wouldn't bow to any pressure from management, either.