1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Chronicle Commentary]Dealing Yao or McGrady won't heal Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scv_rockets, Dec 22, 2007.

1. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5398448.html

Dec. 21, 2007, 9:44PM
    COMMENTARY
    Dealing star not a remedy for Rockets

By JEROME SOLOMON
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Magic Johnson, an all-time great player and an all-time great talk-show host (if you like bad television), said the time has come for the Rockets to trade Tracy McGrady or Yao Ming.

With the Rockets' 12-14 record and only Memphis' blues keeping them out of the cellar, it is understandable that some of you agree with the assessment of the TNT analyst.

"It's not working out," Johnson said during halftime of the Rockets' 112-111 double-overtime loss at Denver on Thursday. "We've seen it for all these years; they get eliminated from the first round. I thought they were going to play well together, but it's not working. One of them has to go because it's not working."

One day the Rockets will have to face the reality that the Yao-McGrady experiment didn't work.

That day isn't today.

Point guard would help
    This is the day the Rockets need a legitimate point guard and a legitimate — and consistent — No. 3 scorer. These are pieces that need to be added, not picked up in return for one of the team's stars.

We're barely a third of a season into the Rick Adelman experience. Things will — or at least should — get better. (Maybe not this weekend with games at Chicago and Detroit, though catching the Bulls, who were whipped by Boston on Friday, tonight on Game 2 of a back-to-back with McGrady possibly returning to the lineup is a good thing.)

Yes, entering Friday night, the Rockets had just the 10th-best record in the Western Conference, only a half-game ahead of Sacramento. And only two teams — Minnesota and Utah — have been worse than the Rockets over the past 10 games. Still, this isn't the time to panic.

Inconsistency abounds
    We have seen flashes of softness and flashes of toughness, spurts of brilliance and spurts of sputtering, and stretches of cohesion and stretches of disarray from them this season.

Average teams are constructed with such flashes, spurts and stretches. Average is a perfect description of the Rockets.

The really good and the really bad teams are much more consistent.

The offensive flow the Rockets showed against the Nuggets in the second half is what Adelman wants. There were flashes, spurts and stretches of some really good basketball.

With two above-average stars, much more is expected.

But that doesn't mean one of them should be traded.

While we're on that, what Johnson really meant was the Rockets should trade McGrady. Trading Yao would be such a stupid act it really isn't even worth the space here to explain why it is such a stupid act.

Centers at a premium
    Trade Yao and you'll probably spend the next decade trying to find a decent center. Tall talented ones are in short supply.

Of course, if you traded him for Dwight Howard, that wouldn't be the case.

As you might imagine, Orlando Magic senior vice president Pat Williams laughed heartily when I asked him how a phone call making that proposal would go.

"Let's put it this way; Dwight is not on the (trading) block," Williams said. "Dwight's a keeper."

And so is Yao. Even if Howard passes him as the top center in the NBA in the next season or so, which is likely.

The problem with trading McGrady is the unlikelihood of getting equal value in return. Remember how the Rockets got the better end of the Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Kelvin Cato-for-McGrady trade with Orlando?

But that hasn't kept fans from discussing trade possibilities.

McGrady straight up for Kobe Bryant would be nice. Heck, while we're at it, how about to Miami for Dwyane Wade? Or to Cleveland for LeBron James?

It's not going to happen, people.

McGrady staying put
    But if the Rockets continue to flop around as they have of late, something will need to be done. The NBA trade deadline isn't until after the holidays — a week after Valentine's Day. It is difficult to imagine the Rockets falling that far out of love with McGrady in the next two months.

Barring some general manager making a drunken late-night deal from the men's room at a clothing-optional establishment, the Rockets aren't going to walk away on the best end of a deal for McGrady anyway.

So it is unlikely the Rockets will seriously entertain the thought of trading McGrady.

Unless, by some chance, they believe in Magic.

2. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Man, what a lousy article. He brought one piece of new information to the front: Pat Williams laughs

3. RocketsAddict

RocketsAddict Member

Equal value? If you'r talking about monetary value, yes, it's hard to match his salary. But game quality, I'm not even going to trade for him with Gay if I were the Memphis GM.

4. thatboyz

thatboyz Contributing Member

The purpose of the article is to present clear reasons why McGrady and Yao are both staying in Houston, no matter what fans with poor judgment or analysts that don't watch the Rockets (Magic) think. Good read.

5. kwng

kwng Member

Trading one of them will make this team worse because we will not get equivalent values. We need to add a good player preferably a PG. It doesn't have to be an all star PG, just one can pass and shoot to score.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Problem #1 - What top flight 3rd scorer PG that narrows the talent gap (the Rockets' equivalant of Parker or Manu) is available that can be obtained for some combination of Battier, Hayes, Alston, James, Francis or Head?

Problem #2 - If some GM in a moment of weakness gave the Rockets a 3rd scorer PG for some table scraps...is there any guarantee the tempo of the game or the passing essence critical for some form of motion offense would improve or even exist? Doubtful IMHO.

7. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Yeah, I thought that it was a decent read. Its mainly to squash many of the comments users are leaving on the Chron's blogs. TMAC and Yao can work with the right pieces around them (caveat: which of course this team doesn't have unless the players miraculously start shooting better and slashing to the basket consistently) as long as the tandem of Yao/TMAC are in agreement and playing cohesively.

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Writers always pimp the status quo, 'cause they have to interview those guys.

They can't just say "Trade his Sorry Ass" then stick a mike in a guy's face.

9. mcemil

mcemil Member

But if not,i think the team will be down this season.The team should get another
    international player to keep lock room balance.

10. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

i dont no, but i dont think its likely to trade T-mac based on his up-down performance.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Everyone thinks a trade will automatically solve everything. You never know, we could make the wrong trade to deal T-Mac and actually become a worst team. Then what? Rebuild all over again? We are not going to get equal value for T-Mac, more than likely, less value. And honestly, I've seen enough of Yao to know that he is not ready to be the #1 guy. Mainly because today's game and rules are tailor made to suit the guards.

Remember, we are only 12-13. No reason to panic and abandon the ship. It's not like we are the Knicks or even the Heat.

12. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

That is possibly the worst article I've ever read in a non-elementary school newspaper. For his sake, I hope they called at 11:00 PM and told him they needed filler by 11:15. The HC needs to get shut down. Let's look at the stats:

Paragraphs with one sentence - 17
    Paragraphs with two sentences - 9
    Paragraphs with three sentences - 1
    Paragraphs with four or more sentences - 0
    Sentences starting with "but" - 3
    Sentences starting with "and" - 2
    Meaningful thoughts - 0

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I also don't agree with much of the article. I agree that we can't trade Yao. He means far too much to the franchise, and he's the guy you want leading this locker room for as long as possible.

As far as "things will get better"
    -->Sure they will, but does better mean title contention? Or does it mean a 50-win team that can't break into the WCF? Maybe others disagree - but that isn't good enough in my book. If we were bobbing around the Suns level, I'd hold out hope that we'd get to the Finals, but I have a hard time seeing this tandem get there.

"You can't get equal value for McGrady"
    -->Of course not. But why would that be the goal? Chase picks and role players - build around Yao.

You may have to wait for this summer, but we absolutely have the assets to completely overhaul this team. Chase Hinrich or Kidd, chase a couple of marksmen, rebuild this team. Teams win championships.

Evan

14. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

good read, agree with some points.

1. rockets can't (won't) trade yao

2. they can't trade mcgrady cause won't get near-equal value.

3. it's still early (relatively). they could still put it together (maybe).

until then, they're stuck.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It depends.

If Tmac is going to keep dogging it, then getting a deal like.

Tmac/Battier/Head

for

Marion/Diaw/Barbossa

Would make a big difference.....especially in energy and while the Rockets may have lost individual talen, their overall team would have gotten better.

DD

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

But that deal is not going to happen ... which is what he's saying. You can't trade McGrady and expect anything like equal value in return (I think Marion/Diaw/Barbosa for Tmac/Battier/Head is close to equal value). Phoenix has to know that Marion/Barbosa are great fits in their system, while McGrady and Battier are not.

17. Rowdie Brandon

trade tmac.....I don't expect us to be contenders once we trade him, but we have all realized that we will never win ANYTHING with this man on our team....while you won't get equal talent in return, you can still get some sort of talent for him....what's the point of keeping a guy who won't get you out the 1st round???.....because he can still win you 50 games????.......trade tmac....it's the only solution.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yeah it would made a big difference. But you are dreaming if you think we can get that deal or anything that resembles that deal. We are robbing the Suns blind with this one. Not to mention that the Suns aren't exactly struggling so I doubt they trade three guys that play a big role in their offense.

19. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

True, and when the players get traded they say it should have happened a long time ago.

20. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

I agree. The problem with this team is not McGrady. The problem is the general manager didn't put the proper pieces around him.

Is it T-Mac's fault that these idiots drafted Rudy Gay not to keep him but to trade him for an over-rated stiff of a player in Shane Battier. I remember when this deal was mentioned and I complained about it then. It was so obvious to me that this was a bad deal both in the short and long term.

Is it T-Mac's fault that the point guard can't shoot, the power forward can't shoot, the 6th man can't shoot jumpers, the shooting guard off the bench is terribly inconsistent. I think not.