1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic: Why the Spurs dealt Scola for virtually nothing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 15, 2007.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

when splitter originally was considering the draft one of the points of discussion was that he had range out to the 3p line. today he almost exclusively gets his points in the paint for tau.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

THE ROCKETS DID NOT TANK!!!

Rocket River
    BLASPHEMER!!!! Steve had headaches that year

3. Bald Puppet

Bald Puppet Member

Im not buying a word of this article.

Im still convinced the Rockets raped the Spurs in this trade. :p :p

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

He didn't take into account that the Spurs are sick of winning. I mean, come on, sometimes it just gets boring. Throw a loss or two in there, that will definitely make things interesting.

I don't think the Rockets management had that little foresight in mind. It seems like Morey is looking to build a consistent team, and ultimately I don't think he would help the Spurs in the process.

I am gonna go out on a limb and say we will see Vspan in a Spurs uniform next season, I think V is looking for his Vendetta and he plays only one game next season it will be against us.

Who knows?

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i can't stand lopez. he sucks on the radio and is just as bad in his columns.

6. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

how the hell can anyone know if this guy is even going to be good?!?

is he better then gooden already?!? i sure hope so, but really doubt it.

7. scola

scola Member

I think he will be a 15-17 ppg, 7 rpg kind of player in his second season. A good role player.

8. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Man I'm going to enjoy the 4 games we play the Spurs this year!

Spurs fan will ***hate it*** if Scola does anything positive. If he has a big game it will be the end of their world. Hehe.

9. 2rings

2rings Member

I have to agree. I am consistently unimpressed by the takes of Lopez in both the Chronicle and on 790. He just doesn't impress me as being very smart.

10. rocket_zoom

rocket_zoom Member

Wow, for those who are comparing Splitter to Scola to rate this trade, are you guys on f*cking crack? LOL, no wonder you guys would make bad GMs!

You evaluate the trade based on the players involved in the trade: Scola and Butler vs. VSpan (not returning to NBA) and next year's 2nd round draft pick.

From that perspective and only from that perspective, we got a lot for nothing (Vspan) and very little (2nd round draft pick). The Spur's FO know they got raped in that deal but they don't care because by making that deal, it helps them towards another objective (ie. Splitter).

Comparing Scola to Splitter is meaningless to evaluate the trade, unless Splitter has a significant impact against the Rockets in the future (ie. he directly causes us to miss the playoffs or he directly eliminates us in the playoffs).

For all we care about, the Spurs could have been going for Kobe Bryant instead of Splitter. So do you then compare Scola to Bryant to rate the trade? LOL, see how absurd you guys are?

The bottom line is, we gave away VSpan and and 2nd round draft pick which is practically nothing, and we got something in return that will probably help the team in the coming season.

Case closed. And I'm glad Daryl Morey is doing this, rather than those of you who wouldn't do it because "Splitter is better than Scola", lol.

Rocket Zoom

11. anon3803

anon3803 Member

Agreed. Obviously the Spurs benefitted from the trade, otherwise they would've just kept him. How much did they benfit? We won't know for sure until a few years from now. This article is just a Spurs fan trying to save some face for a deal that looks lopsided right now. The Spurs traded so they can take advantage of future potential (Splitter). Whether that potential is realized will determine just how good it is for the Spurs. For us, we'll know this coming season just how good the deal was for us.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No we didn't rape. We just committed adultery. -- Kobe

13. scola

scola Member

good post.

14. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

The real reason why I don't buy the Chron. This idiot writer.

Rockets got a great trade and he makes it sound like Rockets got hosed. It's the way this piece of crap feels that makes it a pro-Spurs article.

Not mentioning Luxury Tax reasons. Who is he kidding. And now that Scola is coming over....

SPLASH!