1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Chronic (what) cles of Narnia]: Harris Makes Good Impression

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox_fan_here, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4970129.html

Harris is back on inside
    Former Rice star had expected to go to perimeter as pro

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

LAS VEGAS — Rice needed Mike Harris to be inside, so that's where he was.

He was a thick 6-6 and had a taste for dirty work. He went where needed. But his future was going to have to be on the perimeter, where NBA teams would be more likely to play and pay him. It was an easy assumption. He assumed it, too.

Then in the last month, he discovered he was wrong.

He began working with the Rockets, who liked his ability to bang the bigger bodies and defend the smaller ones. He began playing for a coach with a history of putting perimeter players inside and post players outside.

He completed the Rockets' summer league on Sunday as one of the top players on their team and with a non-guaranteed, two-year contract to bring him back for training camp.

"He just outworked everybody," Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. "He wanted it more than other guys did. Being around gives him some experience, but his attitude is such he's going to keep playing hard. That's going to really help him."

Averages 13.4 points
    In five games, Harris made 21 of 31 shots, averaging 13.4 points and seven rebounds. It turned out that all that time working on his interior game did anything but hold him back.

"I used to think it did," said Harris, 24. "I thought that would always be the knock on me when given an opportunity. But now, I look at it as everything I did at Rice was a positive. If they need me to play the 3 (small forward), I can use my rebounding to my advantage, which a lot of guys don't do. I use that as a positive.

"With the offense Coach Adelman likes to run, there's more posting up with the 3s. So I think the post-up thing helps a lot, too. And at the 4 (power forward), I can do that too. It's working out for me."

Beyond all that, his most obvious quality — an unusually high-revving engine — has served him well. He offers a work ethic and intensity Adelman wants around.

"Especially for guys trying to make the team, you want in camp a guy that will compete with the other guys," Adelman said. "He's also a multi-position player. He's a little undersized for 4, but his attitude is crucial, the way he plays and the way he competes. He's probably better right now, because of all the people we have, to play him there (at power forward). He actually matched up with the kid with the Clippers, (Al) Thornton, and did a real nice job on him.

"He's very physical. As a 3 that's physical, he'll really compete with those people."

Whether inside or outside, stronger than perimeter players or shorter than 4s, Harris said there would be no question about his effort. In the summer league, where so many players are playing to catch a scout's eye and earn a job, he still outworked many, consistently chasing long rebounds and loose balls.

"I'll bring a lot of energy on the floor," Harris said. "That's something a lot of guys maybe don't do that will make a huge impact in the game, whether it is diving for a loose ball, chasing down an extra rebound that no one thinks they can get and adding a little excitement with a couple dunks."

Numbers game
    That might not be enough to make the Rockets' roster. Including Harris, the Rockets have 17 players under contract. They plan to add Dikembe Mutombo and Chuck Hayes. Even if they release Bob Sura as expected and deal John Lucas III, as general manager Daryl Morey said he would attempt, that would leave 17 players for 15 roster spots.

But so far, the Rockets like what they see from Harris, who split last season between the Milwaukee Bucks (five games) and the Development League's Colorado 14ers (48 games). He also spent a season playing pro ball in the Ukraine.

"We were asking him to make a commitment, so we signed him to a non-guaranteed deal," Morey said. "He's someone who is still developing. His midrange game needs to improve, but he's got a good all-around game otherwise. ... He's really just a tough competitor."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

#1 Rox_fan_here, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  2. dreaming

dreaming Member

yeah i watched todays game against NO, and he plays pretty well, shows a nice jumpshot for a big man

3. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

I would certainly rather have him as a backup 3 than Novak. Maybe even Snyder. I say keep Snyder and Harris and dump Novak for hopefully a 2nd round pick. I have a feeling we can't get anything for him though...

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I watched him play at Rice. I always thought he had some Barkley in him, he just had no kind of jumper.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't know anything about Harris. How does he compare to PJ Tucker? They sound like the same type of player.

6. krockets

krockets Member

Mike Harris was very good and effective in the SL, he really did surprised me.

I think he is a solid backup behind the SF position and for a price tag starting at minimum, he would be a better option than Snyder, who is getting $2.3 mil next year.

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I coached him 1 season in the Fonde Rec League and the guy dominated pros, they called him Super Mike. He singled handley led a team into the playoffs with Jasom McKrieth another Rice product.

Mike would like listen and take advice from anyone who appeared to be helping his game. He has 3 point ability, however, they will not give him the green light, which I hope Aldeman changes.

I would take Mike over Novak all day any day. I think it comes down to Mike vs Snyder.

My 15

Yao/Butler
    Tmac/Bonzi
    Battier/Snyder/Harris
    Scola/Hayes/Landry
    James/Alston/Brooks

D-League
    Novak/

Trade
    Luther Head for 2nd round or late 1st

Not Resign
    Deke

8. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I coached him 1 season in the Fonde Rec League and the guy dominated pros, they called him Super Mike. He singled handley led a team into the playoffs with Jasom McKrieth another Rice product.

Mike would listen and take advice from anyone who appeared to be helping his game. He has 3 point ability, however, they will not give him the green light, which I hope Aldeman changes.

I would take Mike over Novak all day any day. I think it comes down to Mike vs Snyder. Mike definitely shoots it better than Snyder

My 15

Yao/Butler
    Tmac/Bonzi
    Battier/Snyder/Harris
    Scola/Hayes/Landry
    James/Alston/Brooks

D-League
    Novak/

Trade
    Luther Head for 2nd round or late 1st

Not Resign
    Deke/Jake

9. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Are out of you're mind?. luther is worth more thn a 2nd round or late 1st pick. luther has alot of value. a top 5 3 point shooter in the league has pretty good value.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If Mike Harris can be productive at the NBA level, I'm for keeping him over Snyder. However, that's a big IF. Snyder's incredible athleticism and ability to guard anything from PG's to SF's makes him attractive. Whichever player brings the most game to camp and preseason should stay. If Snyder doesn't show enough, trade him.

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

He completely impressed me during the five summer league games (of course I still haven't watched all of last night's game) as is evidenced by my signature ;)

I just hope there is a way to squeeze him on the roster by the end of the summer.

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I would certainly take Mike Harris over Novak at this point. Is Denver still looking for shooters? See if they'll give up a pick for Novak. Mike Harris has earned a shot.

13. Fuse

Fuse Member

He can be the Najera of the Rockets. We need high energy guys off the bench as an option. If we can get Hayes/Harris to be our energizer rabbit rotation, it would let the other guys get a chance to rest. We need someone to do the dirty work, why not let these two use up all 12 of their fouls?

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

We can call them the Double H batteries. Need a little pick me up... install the HH batteries and watch bodies fly!

15. Fuse

Fuse Member

I agree! They may not be starter material, but there are awfully valuable off the bench. They are very similar to Evans (Lakers) and Varejo (Cavs), athletic guys that are brought off the bench for energy purposes.