1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronic]Spanoulis says he won't return to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Red Glare, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That would be amazing. I bet there are some pretty solid players available in that range.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

I want to be the slave making 1.8 mil per. Give me a break.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Clutch, I was thinking the same thing.

I did a little research in Larry Coon's FAQs, and I think I found the answer. Even if Fran's blog is not true, and the league won't allow Spanoulis's contract to completely come off the books, it looks like V-Span's deal WOULD be an attractive trade chip this summer.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#55

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#60

If what you say is true, and the third year of V-Span's deal is a team option, then his contract essentially amounts to a one-year guaranteed contract for 2007-08. The Rockets (or any team that Spanoulis is traded to) can do one (or possibly BOTH) of the following:

(1) Agree to a nominal buy-out of his contract, which will be spread across the remainder of his deal. If this is one year, and the buy-out is for $0, then Fran would be correct. His deal would essentially NOT count against the salary cap.

(2) If this is not possible, V-Span's team (again, either the Rockets or their trade partner) could simply release him and let him sign with a team in Greece. According to the CBA, the team releasing him would be entitled to a "set-off" in an amount equal to his one half of (his new salary minus the one-year vet minimum salary). For example, if a Greek team signs Spanoulis to a deal that pays him $2M next year, his former NBA team would be entitled to reduce their cap figure on V-Span by 1/2 ($2M - $687,456), or $656,272, meaning that Spanoulis's cap figure would be reduced from $1.9M down to appoximately $1.25M. Even this small amount helps shave off some salary and avoid luxury tax concerns.

Again, I truly believe that Daryl Morey knows what he's doing by not exacerbating the Spanoulis contract situation right now. He has probably done these calculations already and may try to use Spanoulis's contract (along with Sura's deal and possibly JLIII's deal) to make a trade for a PF.

In Morey I trust. At least from a cap management standpoint.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Unless he's Jianlianing it, Spanoulis will be 25 in a few days -- not 31.

5. blackistan

blackistan Member

Well that gets rid of one of the many guards we have so maybe now we can try for francis

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

VSpan will be 25 in 4 days.

7. aamir

aamir Member

I can accept the family story, if true. Not all families/cultures are the same, and for some it will be a tougher thing to accept. Going from a national hero to a pool cleaner would probably make it even tougher.

I just don't like the idea of this contract hurting the Rockets. If it can be used as a trade bargaining chip in the expiring contract form being discussed, than sure, that could certainly help. But if not, the Rockets are out money from the buy out, money from his meaningless year last year, money out from the remainder of his contract, money out from scouting, etc... It would be a colossal waste of the Rockets' time and money.

Either use the contract, or let him stay in Greece and refuse to release him from the contract. Sounds tough, but you don't reward punishment.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

I've had a hunch Spanoulis wouldn't be back. My guess is the delayed annoucement is more typcially Rockets, ie PR decision.

They're waiting until after the SL and hope Brooks causes some stir. If he creatss some hype it'll counter the negative reaction since Spanoulis is such a cult favorite.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Spanoulis = the Greek Turkcan.

Jonathan Feigan was right about him.

10. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

slaves are forced to play a game and get paid millions of dollars? man, that sucks! life is hard for the international basketball players these days. wow

how about honoring your commitment and stop acting like a pouty little brat.

11. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

No

Yes

12. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Nope I won't release his ass unless we get compensation in return. Trade this loser to someone for a 2nd round pick at least and I hope this douchebag rots on the bench for eternity.

13. Adelman

Adelman Member

hey mrs. spanoulis
    how is your son doing in greece? enjoying the family?

good to know that you read these forums and keep up with that we think. We really wanted him back for next year and he would have gotten alot of chances to prove himself. But since he acts this way. We think hes a pu$$y.

please tell ur son that

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

that's actually quite rich coming his euro Arliss. euro teams exploit young poor foreign players by handing them contracts with buyouts that are either worth
    more than the actual contract itself or to amazingly long years.

15. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

VMac is running away from an agreement. It's not like he's a slave. If he can't handle playing away from home, then we don't need his high turnover rate. I would have liked to trade him for something, but whatever.

Between him and Karilenko, he is showing how brass American players are. Happy Independence Day.

16. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Wow! Big time crybaby.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

But you want to make sure you dont hurt yourself by punishing him. There is no point of just for the sake of punishment to set example for all foerign players for Stern on our own expense.

I am angry with management because Span had been an hard azz for the past several months, what were they doing. Morey repeated said publicly that they still have Span's contract and everything will be fine. But situation has been worsen and Span lit fire now. This should have been handeled more swiftly IMO, convice him to stay or release him. There were plenty of time to make some action on our part. You cant just sit and hope time will heal.

I say at this point bye bye to Vspan and actively looking for trade options. If not, negotiate buyout with Span, that is he has to pay us to terminate the contract and agree not to play in NBA for certain number of years.

18. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I think if he agrees to a 0 dollar buyout, then he will not count toward Rockets cap space.

In that case, he can be a trade asset...

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Mr. Spanoulis Senior, way to defend your son :D

What a wimp, boo-freaking--hooo..........."Bring my son back...*in tears* as if he were a soldier risking his life every second in battle/overseas deployment. :rolleyes:
    http://www.health-in-action.org/library/pdf/Shaken Baby/Images/Waa cry baby2.jpg

Do they celebrate halloween in Greece, because I have just the thing for Billy Crynoulis.
    http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/18335.jpg

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Perhaps this lends some more legitimacy to the preliminary rumors about the Ron Artest deal. If the Rockets knew all along that Spanoulis wanted out and that it would be possible for his team to release him without taking a cap hit, this could have been a topic of discussion with the Sacramento Kings. Combining the cap relief of Bob Sura's and Spanoulis's contracts would have been helpful to Sacramento. Plus, the lure of Kirk Snyder and a first rounder weren't too shabby.

Here's to using Sura's and Spanoulis's deals to grab to solid veteran PF from a salary-laden team over the luxury tax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.