1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronic]Spanoulis says he won't return to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Red Glare, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

As long as he keeps his word and NEVER plays in the NBA again, then its fine.

2. Pocket Rockets

he did leave his country in the first place, right?

Its. on. him.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This puts in to perspective some the Aaron Brooks selection. The Rockets probably knew that V-Span wasn't coming back, so Brooks is like the third point with a future (which V-Span was supposed to be).

I'd say John Lucas III and Luther Head are gone ... possibly Kirk Snyder and Steve Novak. Less likely that Rafer is gone I'm guessing.

4. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Doc, no offense, but you're off base. VSpan's a total prima donna, and he deserves little to no sympathy for his situation. I know a guy who moved to Taiwan on a 2-year work contract, and now, 6 months in, he absolutely hates it. But you know what? He's toughing it out and living up to his contract, despite the cultural troubles. VSpan, on the other hand, makes at least 10x what this guy makes, plays freaking basketball for a living, and oh, also gets to go back to Greece after every NBA season to chill out at home for a few months (my friend does not get that option). I'm sorry, but f*** VSpan. May you toil in obscurity.

So, what say you now, DaDa?

5. files

files Member

If he quits now, no NBA team will want him in the future.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You mean we were dissing the Aaron Brooks selection without knowing the full story? Gosh. ;)

I don't know what's going on through VSpan's mind. I admit early on this summer when I saw the fiasco building I had come to a conclusion that he simply knew he couldn't cut it on the court/be the star he thought he would be. Now, I'm not so sure. Maybe he wants to go back to be near his family and he's willing to give up a shot at millions and a role on an NBA team to do it. If so, I have nothing against the guy feeling that way. Hell, I don't even want to work outside Texas because of my parents getting older. lol. However, the Rockets deserve to get something for letting him go because ultimately he's dumping on a contract.

And that agent needs to slap a muzzle on himself... he's not making things any easier by appearing as ignorant as he sounds.

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

soo...he's saying there's a chance!

8. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

is it possible to trade his contract? it would seem just as valuble as an expiring contract no?

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Interesting. I still think Alston will be put into a deal, but you could be right. Weird to go from no depth at the position, to having James and Alston, with what could possibly be an excellent draft pick backing them up.

10. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

So much for all those people saying Vspan will be an NBA Allstar! Bet you guys feel stupid!

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

FYI, from Blinebury's blog :

http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2007/07/from_clydes_grand_sham_breakfa.html

"Let's not put the cart way before the horse. But I was asked the question earlier and I got the official answer from the NBA. If the Rockets were to release Vassilis Spanoulis, severing all ties and paying him no money over the last two years of his contract, his salary ($1.9 million) would definitely come off their salary cap figure."

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Today he is saying never,tomorrow might be different.In the NBA someone else might give him another chance if he has another great season in Greece.
    I wonder if the Rockets can insert a clause to force him not to come back to another NBA team.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Man, I hope that's true. It really affects the team, not to mention how many of us feel about what Billy is doing. My understanding was that it counts against the cap.

14. The Hungarian Rocket

yes.

no, 2-yrs left of his contract

15. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

um my mom moved here from the philippines by HERSELF for years and making much much much much less than freakin 1.8 MILLION DOLLARS. I didnt see her giving up and going back home to the philippines b/c she was "lonely" or "couldnt adjust to the American lifestyle". V-Span's a pansy. I had high hopes for him.

16. AGBee

AGBee Member

Boki was made of sterner stuff!

17. cz4ever

cz4ever Member

Yeah, it definitely helps shed more light on the Aaron Brooks pick, in addition to the Adelman angle. I hope they give the rook some decent PT.

I'm not sure why you think this means Luther Head is gone, unless you mean that since he's now the only "expendable" player with trade value (plus Sura's contract), he's most likely to get traded for a PF.

I'd expect Snyder to hang around as third string 2/3, unless Novak is showing a lot in practice.

As for V-Span, I agree with VecseySux -- people who sign contracts should buck up and fulfill them. Sometimes you make a mistake, oh well. It's not like earning $1M+ a year for eight months "work" is all that rough of a life, family or no family. The Rockets should make him sign something that gives them his NBA/non-Greek FIBA rights in perpetuity if he wants out, in addition to paying back the $350K they paid to buyout his earlier contract. And I hope there's some way to get him off our cap.

18. The Hungarian Rocket

Ok, so we have only 4.5 PGs. That's not too bad. :cool:

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd be a slave if it paid millions of dollars and allowed me the freedom to do what I pleased in my personal time, and gave me like 3-4 months off a year.

I understand him deciding he would rather stay in his home country, but implying he's like a slave is going just a tad bit far. Hell, I've known people to complain less for having to do two and three years in prison.

20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm wondering about that. I believe that Vassilis is 100% certain right now that he doesn't want to be in the NBA. But he might change his mind in a year or two after getting over the initial disappointment. In the slight chance that he does and has what it takes to be an effective part of someone's rotation, I would like the satisfaction of knowing that the Rockets could get something out of it. But I guess you can't sweat the small stuff in this business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.