1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronic]Spanoulis says he won't return to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Red Glare, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

LOL, DD faints ...

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

HECK YES !!!

He was productive enough and whiny enough to get us Luis Scola......

V-Span......good luck in San Antonio or Greece.......WHO CARES !!!

GO ROCKETS !!!

Never, ever think my love or like of a player trumps my love for the Rockets, they are all assets to my favorite team.....I am happy that V-Span got us a starting PF....which is more than Rafer Alston ever did.

:D

DD

3. c_fish

c_fish New Member

Its easy to condemn Spanoulis's performance at the Rockets by watching his stats but since I've most certainly seen him play in Europe more than you guys I'd say that the Rockets didn't use him correctly.
    Spanoulis's main offensive contribution in Panathinaikos and Greek NT was penetration.He would rarely shoot for 3 when guarded but was able to pass by almost any euroleague defender and scoring or getting fouled.Most of his assists originated while playing pick and roll.Both teams would use short and highly mobile lineups with 3 creative guards (2 PGs and 1 SG).Even if the defender managed to stop him,while driving,most of the times he would pass to one of the other,constantly on the move guards (see semi-final buzzer beater 2005 euro championship vs France or how Papaloukas still plays in CSKA).In this kind of bball Delk failed miserably this year playing 15mpg tops and eventually was cut from Greek league roster halfway through the year,eventhough he had the biggest salary in the team. If VanGundy expected Spanoulis to stand in the corner and shoot for 3 whenever his defender doubleteamed another rocket then he'd be better of with another player.His drive and good pick 'n'roll playing are his strong points,not static shooting.
    If I was him I'd stay another year and if it still didn't work out,then I'd leave.But none of us is in his shoes.

4. Jd1

Jd1 Member

Now he doesn't need to return to Rockets no more. :rolleyes:

5. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

I understand your points, but in the NBA where playing time is so limited, you need to adapt to where you're needed. VSpan is a point guard and had a high turnover rate. You don't trust guys to bring in the ball if they are in danger of losing it.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I can't believe it. The Spanoulis saga is finally over! Who's starting the appreciate thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.