1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronic]Spanoulis says he won't return to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Red Glare, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I agree. Can you imagine if V-span came back to Houston: he would be booed and ridiculed everytime he touched the ball. It would be worst than Kobe playing for the Nuggets.

2. Aemon

Aemon Contributing Member

The dude is full of it. Where was his family when he wanted to come to the NBA? Now he remembers he has one back in Greece. What a baby!!

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

You, my friend, are obviously new around here.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hear hear, and it is a very tough one for Morey....

DD

5. stroker

stroker Member

This guy is not significant enough to call it a "sad" situation but people are speaking against him strongly on principle and they know he's bullshyt when it comes to the reasons for not wanting to play.

What if a majority of fans on this board thing that V-Sham is the one who "twist what has happened" and are insulted by his poorly contrived spin on things? And who gives a rat's ass what he thinks about "All he'll see and hear is the hate" ?. It's my opinion from what I've read that at this point and based on his past statements that most fans don't want him to "step up and do what's right " anyway.

I think it's a case of free speech and keepin' it REAL vs. being politically correct which, if everyone on this board was PC, think of how dull the board would be? It takes reactions ranging from being indifferent, PC to venomous to make any board complete and diverse in terms of fan reaction.

Fans with class have the right to shun the PC approach and vent and call a punk what he actually is. The namecalling is simply a case of the shoe fitting the the punk that's being targeted. The shoe fits IMO..... And let people vent and be non PC if they like. We're not being graded for our assumed lack of class, but a BB is about honesty and expressing one's jubilation, disappointments, unbridled hope and enthusiam, pride in team's mgt and coaching staff, disapproval of the aforementioned and a wide range of honest takes and emotions and a great exchange of informative details about various issues. Is there anything more boring than a bland and PC BB that doesn't have a wide range of reactions? It's about the freedom of speech and just being an unapoligetically partial, die hard Rocket fan expressing whatever one feels without the restraint of having to be "classy" or PC. Keep it real...

A lot of conjecture about the status of his contract and how it affects the team's cap has been discussed as well as the implications contractually of his veiled decision not to play. People feel like it's an HONOR to wear a Rocket's uniform and generally resent those who try to put a false spin on NOT wanting to wear that uniform that comes with a great tradition. I think he'd be respected if he just was honest and said he's dissappointed and the NBA is NOT what he expected because he wasn't allowed the PT he thought he deserved and it's hard on his ego. :rolleyes:

6. yaozzzi

yaozzzi Member

i hate u vspan. You broke my heart.... :(

7. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

since when is name-calling synonymous with class?

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't really care much for Spanoulis one way or another, if he wants to use the fact that he misses his mom for his excuse, other than the much harder admission that there are serious doubts that he was actually good enough to be an NBA player, as is the problem with most NBA 2nd round picks, then that doesn't really bother me.

The more amusing part is watching his fanatical fan club deal with it. The guy got unwarranted praise and adulation because he was here simply because he had a funny name and was from greece. Now he's getting piles of hate. As far as I'm concerned the karmic equation has brought balance to the force.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yeah.....How DARE they root for a player on the HOUSTON ROCKETS !!!

Shame on them......and by them I mean us.

;)

DD

#349 DaDakota, Jul 6, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  10. tsunami

tsunami Member

I've never been a big VSPAN fan. But what you said is simply incorrect. The praise Span received when he entered the league was NOT because of his name (I have no clue why you think his name is funny, actually I think your moniker is much funnier than SPAN) or being a Greece. The primary reason he got all these hypes was because of his performance in FIBA World Championship. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

11. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i was judging span from his FIBA performance.

12. GALLIS

GALLIS Member

Yes, they had the full story as it was presented by the chronic.
    Today i read something rather strange in sports newspaper '' ATHLITIKI ECHO''
    they have a frontpage title '' SPANOULIS CASE A MESS'' and underneath they say * '' what cards the Rockets hold ? ''
    * '' which NBA teams want him ? ''
    * '' Panathinaikos still in the game ''
    It comes as a surprise from a paper that generally supports Panathinaikos and should have some inside info from them.It's suprising ofcourse cause the past days they sounded certain he was coming back to panathinaikos ,greece.
    Either thay have no clue whatsoever , or they know something we don't .
    BTW another greek bball player Glyniadakis (C) played one month with the Sonics (even started 1 game suprisingly )and then spent the rest of the season in the NBDL and now plays in the Celtics summer camp trying to prove he's good enough for the NBA so i guess it has nothing to do with nationality more like what kind of person Spanoulis really is .
    It could be a money thing or a way to avoid being traded this Spanoulis '' outburst'' ( as the greek papers call it).
    what his manager says means jack s**t , it was funny the way spanoulis talked about his manager in his interview to ''GOAL'' yesterday he said ''my manager swears he has told them ten times'', doesn't sound like he has complete faith in him :) but then again who would ? the guy sounds like Monica Lewinski '' his mother called me crying'' ? WTF *** off u punk biatch .
    Could he humiliate his client even more if he tried ?

13. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

I hope you posted the same thing after the Bonzi situation. Just for consistency's sake, you know.

#353 Rocket G, Jul 7, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  14. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

WTF?

"when others don't care" ???

He's lost his f-ing mind. The fans obviously care, the Rockets (even JVG) care(d).

When they intro'd the guy at the Euroleague All Star game, they called him "The Player-Rocket" and he ran in all smiles and everything... Now he wants nothing to do with anything Rocket-related?.

Vspan, you are no fighter. Honor your contract like a man.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

His mother calls me crying, saying, 'Get my son back.'
    _____

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2iIYGlNEXjg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2iIYGlNEXjg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Right, and people thought that since he was european and had ONE good international game he was automatically going to be next "Nash, Ginobili" - You never heard anybody say "the next Moochie Norris" or heard them say that John Lucas III was going to be the next Tony Parker.

Anybody who doesnt' think that nobody would give a crap about Spanoulis if his name was John Smith from Cincinatti is kidding themselves. The same thing happened with Nachbar - oh , white guy, european, he's an amazing smart player, just like all europeans! :rolleyes:

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I know whose fault it is Spanoulis isn't coming back and I have video to prove it, see the end of the video. He and his monther couldn't deal with the sexual harassment.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Odmj7i7a6Ck"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Odmj7i7a6Ck" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

18. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

It's official

We can now all say it.

Billy Spanoulis is a BUST!

19. BBall Scientist

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_rdCa0AljHPAjbl9YuZSHL2.coid_kl-Qub2wHLUH0UwthgNad1.articleMode_on.html

Papaloukas Wins Close Vote To Become FIBA Europe Player Of The Year

Greece’s Theo Papaloukas of CSKA Moscow was selected as the FIBA Europe 2006 Player of the Year, edging out Pau Gasol and Dirk Nowitzki in a tight vote.

Papaloukas had a winning campaign in 2006, helping Greece to the silver medal at the FIBA World Championship and leading CSKA Moscow to the Russian Cup, and both the Superleague and Euroleague crowns.

He followed up his 2005 national team performance in which he led Greece to EuroBasket gold with a spectacular showing at the World Championship in Japan.

For the entire competition, the 200-cm guard tallied 9.3 ppg, 3.0 rpg and 4.0 apg. But more than his individual statistics, he did whatever was necessary to help his team win.

This was particularly exemplified in Greece’s stunning 101-95 triumph over the United States. Down by double-digits in the first half, the Greek playmaker turned the tide of the game, particularly with his dribble penetration which resulted in 12 assists, as Greece came back to win in dramatic fashion.

Greece fell short against Spain in the final, but Papaloukas and his teammates were still able to return home with a silver medal.

As a result of his play in 2006, Papaloukas came out on top in both the fan vote, weighted to account for 30% overall, and the expert panel, which accounts for 70% of the total vote.

However, the voting was extremely close. In the expert panel, Papaloukas received eight first-place votes, one more than both Gasol and Nowitzki, who won the inaugural FIBA Europe Player of the Year award in 2005.

In the fan vote, Papaloukas received 6,035 votes, while Gasol had 5,756 and Nowitzki 5591.

“I am delighted that both the fans and experts have selected Theo Papaloukas as the FIBA Europe Player of the Year,” said FIBA Europe President George Vassilakopoulos.

“I have had the joy of following Theo’s career very closely over the years. I find it most appropriate that the ultimate team player and winner received this individual distinction.”

“Theo Papaloukas is an inspirational player,” added FIBA Europe Secretary General Nar Zanolin.

“The passion he has to win for his team and country is a model that all players can follow now and for years to come.”

Papaloukas will be receiving the FIBA Europe Player of the Year custom-designed trophy at a date to be announced.

Top 10 Results

Overall Rank Name Rank in panel vote Rank in fan vote Total Weighted Rank
    1 Theo Papaloukas (GRE) 1 1 1.0
    2 Pau Gasol (ESP) 2 2 2.0
    3 Dirk Nowitzki (GER) 3 3 3.0
    4 Jorge Garbajosa(ESP) 4 4 4.0
    5 Juan Carlos Navarro (ESP) 5 6 5.3
    6 Boris Diaw (FRA) 6 9 6.9
    7 Vasileios Spanoulis (GRE) 7 7 7.0
    8 Tony Parker (FRA) 8 8 8.0
    9 JR Holden (RUS) 9 10 9.3
    10 Jaka Lakovic (SLO) 9 11 9.6

Player of the Year Section

BTW, Papaloukas is also Greek and plays in the Greek League and on the same team Spanoulis played for, so the Greek League isn't just a bunch of "scrubs" as some people seem to think on this forum by some of the posts saying things like, Yeah who cares what he did or what his stats were we are talking about Greece, freaking Greece here, and so forth.

I highlighted this part of your statement, "had ONE good international game".

Really, one good international game? Again just one good international game, or as you actually put it "ONE good international game"?

I guess that "ONE good international game" also makes him better than Tony Parker for the whole year.

20. ¿TRNT?

¿TRNT? Member

R-E-A-C-H-I-N-G.

Is the NBA in Europe? No. Is the NBA played with FIBA rules? No. I guess you know where I'm going with this. This is the NBA. Accomplishments in FIBA mean jack squat in the NBA. Oops, There goes that word again. In the NBA Toni Parker >>>>*infinity to Spanoulis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.