1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] Rockets 99, Spurs 85: Rockets roll; Air Bud sizzles

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2009/10/rockets_99_spurs_85_rockets_ro.html

Remember the day. Remember where you were. And know that you were there at the dawn of the Air Bud era of Rockets basketball.

OK, so maybe not. But in the search for something to take from Rockets 99, Spurs 85 Tuesday in San Antonio, more evidence of Chase Budinger's offensive potential was eye-catching and undeniable.

Sure, the Spurs had Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, Antonio McDyess, Michael Finley and Theo Ratliff sitting out. They treated the second half as an Austin Toros practice. Gregg Popovich's decision to not play Parker or anyone older than 32 makes sense for a team that plans to play into June, but made it difficult to know what to take from the Rockets' first preseason game.

There were plenty of signs of how the Rockets want to play, starting with those 15 first-quarter fast break points. The point guards and power forwards look like the strength of the team, which is not much of a surprise when there aren't any shooting guards and centers (well, almost) on the team.

More than all that, though, Chase Budinger just kept doing what he has been doing, holding his own in the battle of the "how did he get into the second round" draft picks.

That was not easy to do. DeJuan Blair came off the Spurs bench to grab 19 rebounds, eight on the offensive boards, and score 16 points in 22 minutes.

Budinger, however, made 7 of his 10 shots, seeming completely at ease and under control in the offense. He took turns early in the game against Richard Jefferson and Manu Ginobili and neither toasted him. Mostly, after hitting 72 percent of his 3s in the summer league, rolling through the summer workouts and turning heads in seven days of training camp practices, he appeared ready to play significant NBA minutes.

His success will not be entirely dependent on his shooting touch. He does run the floor well and his athletic ability helps him get shots off. He is already much better at running an offense than his sweet-shooting Rockets predecessor, Steve Novak. But much of Budinger's success will be in his teammates' hands.

When the Rockets ran their offense consistently, moving quickly without the ball and delivering sharp passes, they got good open looks, many by Budinger. When they went one-on-one, they bogged down. He will need offense brought to him and that will be much tougher when the Rockets play more Spurs than Toros.

Budinger is not going to continue to make 70 percent of his shots, or do the things the Rockets still need from Tracy McGrady. But while the Spurs were buzzing about Blair, the Rockets keep seeing this from Budinger and are starting to believe it can last.

Come to think of it, as I recall, no one thought Wally Pipp wasn't going to get his job back, either.

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I'm gonna be high on this guy until he has a bad game. Exciting read.

3. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

yea t-mac coming back can make this guys life a lot easier.

4. young truth

young truth Member

are you serious

5. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

he is. no joke.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Wish the rockets could have got blair.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I still don't understand how he fell so far in the draft, he was as beastly on the boards in college as I've ever seen.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He had both his ACL's torn in high school, had them repaired, and then apparently the scar tissue was absorbed in the body leaving him no ACL's in either knee.

Doctors say he should be ok as long as the quad and Hamstrings are strong...but any weird bending of his knee and his career could end.

That is why he dropped.

DD

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He still outplayed the no2 pick.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am not saying he was a bad pick..I wish the Rockets got him instead of Taylor...

I was just explaining why he dropped.

DD

11. alcatrazpsycho

In a way I'm glad we didn't get Blair. Even if he were to be a solid role player or starter, imagine all us Rockets fans growing on him as he would get continually improve his game, only for him to have a career ending injury sometime down the road. We've been down that path too many times before, and quite frankly, a it's a risk I'm glad Morey didn't take.

Jermaine Taylor... errr... :(

He's just another Gerald Green / James White. I'm starting to believe the Rockets organization like to have one project SG on their roster for some unfathomable reason, just to trade them away for nothing in the future.

12. MONON

MONON Member

We need another undersized "big" that shoots .312 with 16 shots in 22 minutes.

13. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

haha, uh. Are you serious, when t-mac is on teh floor he makes this team better you can not argue that. he will take some of the pressure of bundinger that people are placing on him now. Lets not make the rookie breakdown his first year, you can't place the weight of a teams offense on a 2nd round pick just out of college.

14. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

taylor's already shown more poise and skill than Gerald Green and James White. he has a great first step and is a strong driver. if he could work on his shot he could be a better nate robinson.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

For those that don't know (which should be all of you), Wally Pipp was replaced by Lou Gehrig when Gehrig started his consecutive games streak. He, of course, never got his starting job back.

16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I think what I love most about Chase's game is his ability to hit the jumper coming off screens. I always wanted to see that from Tracy but it never was a consistant part of his game.
    You're talkin 6'8" with great elevation coming off a baseline screen. Even if the defender goes over the pick and closes out, Chase has enough elevation and a quick enough release to make it a good percentage shot.

17. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

This. :D

18. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

And wow.. That's intense.
    He better invest the money he gets with his first contract!

19. Pete the Cheat

man...it made me a little nauseous just reading that

20. Dream Shake 81

Blair's or Chase's ?