1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(CHRONIC) Point guard wishes Rockets would extend contract to match his growing value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LpBryan03, Sep 29, 2010.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

they'll have his RFA rights. That's means a lot to teams.

2. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Trade for who? The skillset Brooks has compliments Yao more than anybody that might be available. We'd be downgrading by trading

3. Rocketman81

Rocketman81 Member

You wont see anybody in the league get an extention this year unless your name is Carmelo Anthony or Kevin Durant. The new CBA is coming up and nobody knows what is going to happen with that, so unless you are a superstar then you are not getting extended. Just keep you mouth closed and play ball.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What skill set? shooting the 3 and turning his inability to get the ball to Yao in the post? I think K-mart could take that load for sure.

In fact, expect Brooks scoring numbers to fall with Martin, Yao and Miller on this team together. Miller will look for Martin more than AB just because they already know how to read and cut with each other and Yao will be holding on to the ball more.

If you trade him for a 2 way player like Iggy it would actually balance the roster a bit in terms of defense.

And just for DD:

Budinger could become a better 3 point threat at the 3 with martin at 2 which would mean the is no more need for 3's at 1.

5. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Jeez, I made a thread about how Aaron Brooks might react after Lowry's 24/mil contract and how it could affect his moral. Everyone blasted the thread and was like "oh brooks doesn't care, he knows it's business" this is exactly the type of emotions I was thinking would come out of Brooks after something like that, doesn't mean he's going to go out and play like crap but you can tell he's certainly bothered by it. Who wouldn't be bothered by their back up making so much more than them?

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

New Orleans will give him a fat raise after the Chris Paul trade goes down. :grin:

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Meh, it is what it is.

Brooks came into the league at just the wrong time to have a new CBA when he is due his pay raise.

Getting an extension now, bypasses that, but Morey is too smart for that.

The restricted free agency aspect of the CBA ensures Morey doesnt bid against himself.

8. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

all this he put up these numbers when yao was out and everything is r****ded...the fact is brooks is the one who stepped up and led this team last season while winning the MIP even after ariza was supposed to be the main focal point, he deserves a raise but with the cba coming up i understand moreys position, personally i think its the wrong move on moreys part just because even though its a business sometimes you gotta show a little loyalty.

Really whats the harm in starting negotiations, its a win/win situation, you make ab happy that theres discussions and you could come at him with say a 4 year 28 mill extension, if he declines wait till next season with the new cba in place and get him for cheaper or he accepts and ab at 7 mill a year is a bargain for ab, i dont even know if ab can make 7 mill a year but either way ab's happy and your gonna get him cheap, this ones a bad look by morey to me, but its not my place to question morey

9. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

The first thing they learn is that contracts are guaranteed and if you get hurt significantly you don't receive as much on the next contract. Aaron is just trying to lock in a contract in case he gets hurt.

Morey is, well, the business master of basketball operations for the Rockets I am very happy about that. No need to extend a contract when it is not due. AB could get hurt in between now and then and not be worth the extension money.

10. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

He's a borderline top 10 PG who's not going to be an all star. We have Lowry locked up long term, if he doesn't agree to something along the 5.7 to 6.5 mil range per year, i would let him walk. He's not worth a penny more. Just because Fisher made you look good in a series doesn't mean he's big time in the playoffs, people need to understand that

11. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Trade Brooks for Iggy? Um, hell no. Who would you have running the point guard? With Yao, we need SPACING. With Brooks ability to hit 3's and create his own shot as a point guard, you'd be kissing your season away by trading him. If your not getting an elite point (Deron Williams, Chris Paul) then your downgrading significantly by bringing in another point. It'll be very stupid trading away ur best playmaker who lead the league in 3's. C'mon son :rolleyes:

12. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

13. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't get why CF fans think this. While the read and react motion offense does alleviate some of the offense handling burdens of the PG, it also requires the PG to make smart decisions as a playmaker (while dimes go down, so do TO's), something Brooks clearly lacks. Also, do you honestly think Adelman's system requires a heavy dribbler who jacks up off the dribble jumpers all day? He is like Francis with the inability to finish in traffic. While we saw flashes of Adelman's system last season due to the lack of Yao, do you honestly think we were consistently playing it? His system involves smooth crisp passing, lots of movement without the ball, and fast cuts and slashes to the hoop. AB does NOT play or fit in Adelman's system. Nash would be a great fit. Calderon would be a great fit. Llull could be a great fit.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this is not the NFL. its guaranteed money and you play out your contract. morey is doing what is best for the team. Brooks will have to wait one more year to get paid. I don't think this will be a big deal. I think Brooks was letting management know that he knows he's underpaid, and it will strengthen his agent's hand in negotiations next offseason. Brooks will play his best ball this year and will be looking to get 8 mil per next season (and he'll get it; maybe not from us).

16. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

I think it is still silly. Of course he thinks he should get more money. Who in the world doesnt think they are underpaid?

The media spun this wrong way. Aaron should have just kept his answer short, but instead, gave the media something to run wild with.

17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

"Kevin Durant is the only player from Brooks' draft class to have received a contract extension."

Think about, KD is the only player to get a extension, then next thing is that AB is not happy. I suspect that he will try very hard to get his number next year if he is not going to get a contract extension.

18. abc2007

abc2007 Member

AB should get a new contract that is similar to Scola's.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Which players received extensions from Morey since he took over?

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think Brooks saw that it was getting a little quiet in the GARM forum at Clutchfans, so he decided to stir things up a little bit.