1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic: Maybe Rockets' Landry should say so long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 25, 2008.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Definately. If he can hit the magic 10ppg mark next year he'll become unresticted and won't be limited to the MLE by the Gilbert Arenas rule. Nene had two consecutive injury filled season before putting up 12ppg in his contract year. He got something like $8 million per year?

If one of his knees go out again and he's given a $3+ million annually for more than 2 years then it's a bad contract. Also being in and out of a playing rotation can negatively impact on the court chemistry.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

A multi-million dollar physical will not, absolutely not, be a 10-minute affair. It will, doubtlessly, be insightful. To date the concept of a physical has only been inciteful...

3. fleshbody

fleshbody Member

man, I really think your "possibly miserable years" would be very attractive to a man who may only earn 2m/year before tax in the states. Especially I heard that those guys in europe has provided Childress with FREE MAIDENS, :p

4. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Nope, and they only owed him 700k at that point. When you want more money you have to prove your health, especially when it's a long term commitment.

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You do know this is real life and not the movies right?

6. RocksMillenium

We'll see if he still gets that after a few months overseas. A lot of people are offered things.

7. RocksMillenium

Just because you like European food more then American food doesn't mean everyone likes it. Yes we're serious, we prefer American food. You're entitled to your OPINION.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You really think the Rockets don't already know everything about his knee?

Come on.....this is pure negotiation.......if not they would have scoped it when he first injured it.

DD

9. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Just like all the other guys that had injuries had things done in season right?

Come on, guys play through stuff unless they just can't. Especially when the playoffs are within reach. TMac, Rafer, and Shane all played with stuff and if I'm not mistaken all had procedures done to correct issues this offseason. All those guys earn alot more than the 700 and change Landry was paid.

Even if it was negotiation on the Rockets part, if I had a few mill riding on it and thought I was healthy, I'd do anything they asked me to.

10. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Without the doubt, the Rockets organization already knew the knee problems but what they need to know is how extensive was the injuries prior to his contract value and clauses that they need to include in the contract. That's perfectly unarguable!

11. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Well they were worried enough to advice him to get a deeper examination right after the season ended. Which he didn't follow. I'm not so sure it's only a negotiation tactic. They may have to resign him without a scope because Landry is not cooperating ... but if he starts the season struggling like he did after the injury ... he most likely will be scoped cause they've done the MRI's already.

A number of players put off surgeries until after the season ends if they can play through it. I don't think it is out of the ordinary to not get something scoped at the time of the injury.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I doubt it, we are not talking about an exam here we are talking about an operation.

The Rockets are playing it smart, they talk him down, force a little doubt into other team's minds which lowers any offers he might get.

Then sit back and wait for Baker to sign an offer sheet and then simply match it.

The only flaw with this plan is if a Euro club offers him a big contract.....then the plan falls apart.

However, they might not because of the alleged knee issue.

I do think that Baker has had offers for Landry, but not the kind they are willing to sign the offer sheet for......because once they sign an offer sheet the Rockets will quickly match and this will be over. They are trying to squeeze as much as they can out of someone, but I think all teams know the Rockets will match and are probably unwilling to tie up their MLE while waiting on the Rockets to match.

And the Rockets can sit back and go....."We will let the market determine his worth".....that way they don't have to offer more than the minimum.

Smart...

DD

13. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

yes it is. my trips to London to see The Arsenal are much less frequent than they were just a few years ago. :(

14. nerdyyatrice

nerdyyatrice Member

lol, same here except it's b/c I don't expect they will pay me more(or even comparable). I won't hesitate if I were Carl, golden opportunities there. Isn't it boring to stay in one place for ur ENTIRE life?

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

on a side note, this is whats wrong with restricted FA in the nba. everyone plays with the same money (MLE) and no one wants to tie that up for a week while the other team holds them hostage. little to no offers are made to RFA's so their "market value" is hurt by the system.

of course we are all on the rockets side, and not bakers side on this one. so we are happy that the system should help the rockets get a good deal on keeping their player.

however, the waiting game that you talked about doesn't always end well. see cleveland/verajao last year and atlanta/childress this year.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think you're right on all points. He had an MRI after he got injured with the bone bruise and came back after a longer time than expected. He didn't have the kind of bounce that he showed pre-injury for quite a few games but he showed off his athleticism against the Jazz which gives the impression that there is no need for a further examination at all.

This is the point Landry and his agent are bringing up. The Rockets asked him to get a arthroscopic examination after the end of the season because they are not sure whether their doctors can determine the prognosis of his injury over a longer period of time,ie an entire season. It is due diligence but it works as a negotiation ploy as well.

17. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I believe all the guys I mentioned have had some type of surgery this offseason. And yes, I would have a surgery to prove my health if it was for a 3 million per yr income. There are a lot of large companies out there that make their key employees or executives have physicals over a few hundred thousand. A surgery for a few million is not unacceptable.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A Cleveland/Verejao like situation is a possibility. Landry might have to end up getting less money than he wants but he could sign for more than the minimum qualifying offer with another team and tell the Rockets not to match it through Buddy Baker which could make the situation ugly. The Rockets shouldn't change their stance though.

19. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

Cost of living is more expensive in Europe yes, but look at the substantially less amount of games played. That means you would actually earn more per game in the Europe. 82 games/year vs however many they play in Europe (I've heard like 50 something a year), not to mention the playoffs here. With more rest and a longer career, it would be your benefit to live and play there. Hell, a millionaire is still a millionaire atleast for another decade anywhere in the world.

Even in the states it works out like that. Would you rather take a contract for around 7 mil in New York or 6 mil in Houston. Those in the know would probably go with the 6 mil in Houston since, due to cost of living, in essence you would be making more in Houston, actually quite a bit more. Houston ranks under the national average for cost of living last time I checked (about 8 months ago) and New York is one of the most expensive places to live along with areas in Cali and this bung hole place called Hawaii (much nicer to visit than to live, trust me I know). I wonder if agents and players figure in cost of living when negotiating for a contract. You guys think Stevie turned down the little bit more he was supposedly getting from Miami or the Clips b/c in reality the less money he took here is actually more?

Anyway, I got a little off topic and to get back to the subject, I hope we keep Landry if his knee is good. If his knee isn't or he won't let us check it, then business wise the Rox should let him go. We can't afford to have all these injury prone players. We aren't Phoenix.

20. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Hey, Steve! From one journalist to another: That's a great piece. Fair, perceptive, and outside the box. You're good.