1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic: Maybe Rockets' Landry should say so long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 25, 2008.

1. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

How much money are one of those China shoe deals or other endorsements worth? If Chuck Hayes and Shane Battier can get one, I'm sure Carl Landry can do the same...

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They can get more money but Europe is more expensive too like you have pointed out.

3. airmanz

airmanz Member

If there is an offer of 7M/year, it actually makes the decision pretty simple. There is no way rockets will match an offer even close to that, so does any other team in NBA.

4. airmanz

airmanz Member

However, it there is no such an offer, and this is only a bluff from Baker, this will definitely backfire because no other NBA team will consider an offer to Landry in this case.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Guys like Landry won't do well in Europe.

6. SunsRocketsfan

i think it was 20 mil in Euros.. so if you take the current exchange rate that does equate to about 32.5 million

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A depressing commentary on the value of the dollar. As someone who's been to Europe several times, and would like to go back, it's very depressing. It's no wonder that these deals are getting more attractive.

By the way, Greece and Spain are wonderful, especially if you have some $$$.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What I want to know is how long are the Rockets willing to wait for Landry? Are they willing to go until the season starts with this, a la Cleveland and Varejao? B/c if that happens, there's basically no one else to use the MLE on at that point. Are the Rockets willing to not use the MLE this year? Is that the stance they're taking here? Are they willing to wait as long as it takes, even if it means the MLE or a chunk of it goes to waste? The later Landry comes in, the more out of shape and out of sync he will be, and the longer it will be before he makes an impact. If he never comes in and they don't sign anyone ... well you know how that will be received.

9. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Buddy Baker is becoming a real pain in my side. Just have the darn scope already and collect your commission on 3.5mill as opposed to the full mle that no one is gonna give. He should have had the knee scoped at the end of last year like was requested and then he would have had plenty of time to get anything repaired that was necessary. If not, go to Europe and prove your knee is healthy there on someone elses Euro.

10. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I can only think of 3 teams who would want Landry for no more than 12.5 ratio. My thing is i would imagine you wont need further detail with picture imaging.

Indiana, Atlanta, Lakers besides Euro (bluff maybe)

Your thoughts?

As for Landry that 1 year deal he came out ahead anyways knowing his role off the bench and the 1 year thingy was a safety messure at best.

11. kwng

kwng Member

I was just wondering, if Landry goes for the scope and is found to be healthy,
    will the Rockets pay him the full MLE (USD5mil++)? I would thought the Rockets wanted a scope to negotiate a lower pay for him.

12. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

He's not worth the full MLE even if the knee wasn't a concern.

13. kwng

kwng Member

So the Rockets wanted him to get scope for a 2-3mil (half MLE contract)?
    So how much is the Rocket willing to pay him if he doesn't want a scope (another 700K contract) or perhaps the Rockets doesn't want to pay him at all if he doesn't want to be scope? I am not surprised Landry is not happy if that's the case.

14. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

offseason normally goes in order. When it comes to match deals i think.

I would like Carl to stay and the 10 million was perfect for his role i would not be suprised if anyone offered 12.5/3 years. The chances are besides the Lakers would be to the East. The Childress for 20 million or 32.5 million part i thought the matching offer would be the difference guessing.

If he goes to another NBA team he could tear his knee up worst and that is something he should think about.

As for going to Europe goes i think Morey and Stern and Baker and the Euro league and that other team would have to wait before we even match before he makes his final decision.

4 million/3 years? 12.5 ratio sounds about right to any offer unless another team was desperate. If he was to resign i see no way we will be even thinking about trading him so he is weighing his options at best, which is the right thing to do anyways.

The Lakers loss Turiaf to a higher number which tells me they could be in the bidding.

If he was to resign then it would probably be to a buy out contract anyways.

Thoughts?

15. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I'm just saying I don't think he's worth the full MLE, I don't speak for the Rockets.

But if it were me and you are talking about a contract where there are more than 5 zeros, hell yes, I'd want the scope for half the mle. That half may not be a lot of money in respect to some of the other contracts out there. But we can't afford to have another player taking up money and space on this roster that isn't earning what they are getting. Landry is a good young player, but he does us no good if his knee won't let him get to the rim with some explosion.

16. kwng

kwng Member

What about if he does not want to be scoped? How much would the Rockets willing to sign him forcwithout a scope assuming they are willing? In short, how much is he worth if he does not want to be scoped (I believed his MRI is OK)?

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

qualifying offer

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yep, they had NO problem allowing him to play in the playoffs on that knee did they?

DD

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Buy out of what. Landry's contract is over. And there is already an understanding that FIBA and the NBA honor each others contracts. But there is no contract to buy out of. Landry is a restricted free agent which means any team in the NBA can bid on him. The matching of contracts is a CBA rule that was designed to screw the players and help the team owners. I like the rule because it allows teams like Cleveland, New Orleans and San Antonio an almost reasonably equal opportunity to compete. But in reality it screws the players from getting true market value and rightfully doesn't apply to FIBA teams. I expect the Arena's rule will be rewritten at some point to make it more like the Larry BIrd exception but for now I expect the migration of NBA players to europe to only get worst.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If they have something to hide doesn't a physical unhide it? If surgery is requisite then the sooner the better, yes? Of course yes. Otherwise he is a (very) poor man's Shaquille O'(I'll wait for surgery/treatment/whatever until the season has started)Neal. :p