1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] Houston sports radio ratings decline from a year ago

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

With things like podcasts, I've found no reason to listen to the AM dial anymore.

1 person likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is pretty much a dead period for sports talk, unless you have a really good team that is galvanizing the city (perhaps the Rockets being awful has furthered that dilemma).

Matt/Lance are good. CP is good. Mike/Seth are good. Rich has actually stepped up somewhat lately. Clanton/Sean is actually turning more into the Sean Jones show... with Clanton only speaking occasionally when he can get a word in between Sean's rants.

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Yes, football is a much more complicated sport than Peach Basket Ball. So don't try to understand football, you're best to stick to a simple sport that doesn't require much thought.

The Rockets down year is a big reason for the ratings drop during this period from last year. April and May numbers are going to really be down as well unless the Rockets do something shocking.

4. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I live in Beaumont so it limits what I can catch. I usually just have to deal with 97.5. I like the show around noon with Salibury, I cant remember what it's called because I am only able to catch its for about 30 minutes on my lunch break if I leave.

I like Fred and AJ sometimes. Sometimes their arrogance is too much. They are definitely funny but their interviewing skills are brutal. It's terrible radio when they have someone on. It's like they are just reading the top 10 interview questions off of a google search.

It also bothers me that Fred does not seem to know sports as much as he puts on. I think he just prepares and researches well. He hits on topical, well understood things. He doesn't ever really contribute anything of worth.

AJ is kind of a prick and doesn't do much to hide it.

Overall, I enjoy the show because the guys are a good pair and are very funny together. Especially when talking about non sports topics.

As a show, it's a fun listen. As a sports show, there are definitely much better options. IMO, it's best to just find a podcast in whatever your particular sports interest may be.

5. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Rich should join Blowpez in the AM and and call the show the Fat and Stupid show and let them fight it out for which is which on a daily basis. :p

6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Speaking of podcasts Chad Ochocinco has a great podcast with Jamie Dukes if anyone is into them. Some really great stuff. Obviously it isn't local stuff but they did an episode with Houston legend Scarface and talked alot about the Dwight Howard and Houston situation.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I forgot about Dukes! I used to really enjoy him when he was in Houston.

8. buffalobills!!!

What's it called?

1 person likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

10. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

AM radio sucks overall...quality wise but FYI - you can listen to 790, 610, 740 on FM if you have an HD radio in your car.

11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

You're thinking of Carl Dukes. Jamie Dukes is a former NFL player.

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'll preface this by saying that I moved away from Houston for a few years, got out of the habit of listening to local stations, and then never got back into that habit after moving back last year, but to me, what hurts Houston sports radio more than anything else is the constant musical chairs.

I get why this happens- it's a different radio world out there and there are far fewer Mike and the Mad Dog (or John Granato and LZ on 610/1560 for a local example) situations where two guys do a show together forever, and second, Houston has multiple stations playing local content, creating a competitive environment for hosts that's conducive to jumping around to find the best situation.

But because of this, listeners just aren't able to build a relationship with a host or hosts the way they used to, and that's key in sports radio. When I grew up listening to 610, I tuned in on the way to school every morning not because I wanted to hear what Granato and Zierlein had to say about some specific event relating to the Astros or Rockets, but because I just wanted to hear them riff on whatever was going on, crack jokes, and just generally carry on a conversation.

That didn't happen overnight, though. It was built from years of me listening to the show, getting to know them as hosts, learning the inside jokes and bits, and feeling like I was in on something. That type of relationship can't be forged when there's going to be someone different sitting in that same chair in a year.

Obviously, Charlie is as good an example of someone bucking that trend. He's had some co-hosts through the years during his run on 790 and occasionally his time slot has shifted a little bit, but most of the time, he's been on his own in that same exact time slot. That's a big reason why, although there is a sizable portion of the listening audience that just doesn't like Charlie's style, a good deal of his listeners, at least based on posts in these types of sports radio threads here on CF, listen to him religiously and wouldn't think of listening to anyone else in that time slot.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's really 790 for Rockets/Astros and 610 for Texans. But with social media, even radio is now behind so it's all about the personalities and entertainment and Houston radio is lacking. Especially true with Sirius sports shows and Sports podcast on your bluetooth enabled phone/radio. Radio is now niche market.

14. Buck Turgidson

Sun Radio and KUTX, you don't need to pay money for radio.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

4 stations is 3 too many to maintain quality programming.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Two different Dukes. Dont worry I thought the same thing at first lol. Jamie Dukes himself is a formel NFL player

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Also not sports related at all but if you're into comedy and making fun of celebrities and new trends and whatnot I STRONGLY recommend The Bodega Boys with Desusnice and The Kid Mero. Two funny ass dudes that got famous from their tweets. Really dumb stuff but it entertains me and I dont care. They will touch up on some sports content but only to joke about it.

18. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Bingo. Market saturation equals dilution of talent. 2 stations would suffice with each carrying a national show. Mike and Mike and Dan Patrick would be my 2 national shows.

19. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

You're right. My bad.

20. grt004

grt004 Member

I recently started listening to 610 in the morning and afternoon. I like Nick Wright and John Mclain, because they know what they were talking about. I think John Lopez and Rob sound like averages dude talking sports... I cringe when they speak.

In the afternoon Rich Lord is so boring. Sean definitely keeps the show going. I switch to different channels when it is just Ted And Rich.