1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] ''He checked all the boxes for us. We're just ecstatic about this pick.''

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Dick Justice....

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustic...oustonchronicle/sportsjustice+(SportsJustice)

Rockets scouting director Gerald Madkins offered this assessment of Patrick Patterson:

''We're extremely excited to add Patrick Patterson to our roster. Truly, truly professional approach to the game. Quality individual. He's going to fit into our locker room. He was the No. 1 guy we were targeting — No. 6 overall. We can't believe it worked out the way it did. We're extremely happy.

''At the combine, he measured really well. I think that's why we were excited leaving the combine after he tested almost true size for a power forward. You know, you can speculate whether that's 6-10, 6-9. But we're very happy. We think he fits in very well with our cast. We're just ecstatic that we got him.

''One of the things we just loved about the kid is that if you look over his career, he's a guy that has been the No. 1 guy and then he has been a guy that can fill a role this year with all those freshmen coming in. They kind of took the hype away from him, and he didn't skip a beat. Just as productive. His approach never changed. Those are the kind of guys we love in our locker room. They have a straight-forward approach. They just show up for work everyday and do the best they can.

''Patrick is a quality defender. He's probably a better team defender right now. I think most young guys coming in the league are going to be that way. We see him as a guy that's going to add a little diversity to the things we can do defensively. This year, he's shown he can play out on the floor a little bit. I think that helps our defense tremendously.

''He's shown his ability to play out on the floor a little more than he has in the past. He's shooting college 3-pointers really well now. His mobility for a power forward is really good. He brings a lot of intangibles that teams love to have, especially winning teams like we think we can be.

''It's important to add quality people to your locker room. Not to take away anything away from his on-the-court ability, but he really fits in with our culture. He has a hard-working professional approach. You really can't measure that. I think we value that more than most teams. I think you guys are going to be really impressed with how well this guy understands and plays the game.

''We considered him the No. 1 guy that we wanted. He checked all the boxes for us: need, size, locker room, just down the line. We're just ecstatic about this pick.''

2. jvu

jvu Member

Well this makes me feel a bit better!

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand you draft the best player you can get...

But it seems we have a lot of undersized guys at the 4 already. I don't think we're planning to move Scola.

Yao, Scola, Hill, Hayes, and now Pat.

4. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

You hear that Cousins fanboys? He was never a Morey pick, and we sure as hell weren't going to give up any valuable asset to draft his lazy ass.

I called the Patterson pick from the beginning and I'm very happy we landed him. He's going to suprise everyone here

5. Raven

Raven Member

I'm shocked that the Rockets would say that. No, really, I mean it, positively shocked.

6. worzel gummidge

It didn't stop them from drafting Dorsey.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

One or even two of our PFs are being moved. I think Hill is the odd man out.

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Other 29 teams are saying the same thing about their drafts...

9. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

exacly what i think of Patterson... only i thought we have to trade up to maybe #10~#11 to get him... what a lucky day for the Rockets! and still some ppl crying loud here about he's undersized and that they want Cole Aldrich? thank god we have DM as our GM :eek: i think Patterson has the potential to be as good as Elton Brand (pre-injuried)... well at least a 18/9/1.5 guy ;)

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Not sure about that. Hill isn't exactly a hot commodity. Why move him for what? Unless we're getting a pretty good wing man and I seriously doubt that.

The only reason you'd move Hill is if you were getting Bosh or something.

With Yao being a question mark in terms of what he can bring, it may just be that they are looking for some depth in the front court but I would have thought size mattered a lot here.

Another possibility is just that they are grooming him for the future when Hayes is gone.

11. Garner

Garner Member

Or if you want to keep in step with Morey's comments on our pick not going to be seeing big minutes, perhaps its Jefferies with his expiring contract on the way out- leaving us:

Scola/Hill/Patterson
    Yao/Hayes

Nothing wrong with that at all. I'm quite happy with it in fact.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

haha.... we're stacked at the PF position... time for a trade.... for Bosh.

13. tested911

tested911 Member

^^^^^^^^^^^
    This all the way

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Hill isn't undersized at PF. He is 6'10.25". Scola is 6'9". Jared Jeffries is 6'11". Pat is 6'9". Most starting PFs are 6'8" to 6'10".

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Hill is a center more than a 4. Jeffries too.

If you are 6-8, you're considered undersized. 6-9 is borderline. Really 6-10 is where you'd want a PF to be at for a competitive team. It's no coincidence that both Boston and L.A. had very tall big men.

Scola is a small 6'9" - what i mean by that he doesn't really get high up so he really will have trouble blocking / changing shots and offensive rebounding. He's not like Dennis Rodman who just knew were to go and how to use his long arms to tip boards to himself. And he's not a Karl Malone who just out muscles people for the best position to get boards.

I'm not saying this is a bad pick. Just not sure who it will help us in the short term. Long term maybe. Short term - no.

16. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Honestly, who would you have picked at the 14 then? Patterson was the BPA and we were lucky he actually fell to us.

17. rocketsqtc

rocketsqtc Member

Hey everyone, tell me again, how tall was Hakeem?

. . . . . Exactly. You can't teach height, but it doesn't make up for everything. I'm more excited about Hill developing anyways. And Whiteside, that kid is many years from being productive. Get over it.

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Hakeem was 6'10" barefoot and 6'11" shoes. Many teams fielded centers at 6'10-7'0" centers. Hakeem was not undersized. His standing reach and wingspan were one of the best.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

You're crazy if you think PP can't contribute meaningful minutes in his rookie year, the guy is one of the most NBA ready prospects in the draft. Height doesn't matter in your performance, it has to with standing reach and wingspan. Do you see Gasol and Bynum blocking shots with their heads?

In terms of wingspan and reach PP has more than enough in the PF position. He's not gonna be a Gasol...however what do you expect at the 14th spot? A lot of guys look "smaller" but performed really well in the league due to long arms, among them Carlos Boozer and Elton Brand. Getting PP actually enables Hill to move to the center spot. I would have loved for us to have gotten Alabi, but everybody freezed us out.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not true. Generally teams talk about athleticism, workout numbers, etc. Cliched stuff. But the Rockets obviously do their homework and provide very tangible concepts that they use to grade out a player. They may be right, or they may be wrong. But at least they have something more than what you can just read on draftexpress.