1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] ESPN's Andrews secretly videotaped nude in hotel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Rockets34Legend

Didn't want this buried in that other Erin Andrews thread....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6539520.html

HARTFORD, Conn. — ESPN reporter Erin Andrews was secretly videotaped in the nude while she was alone in a hotel room, and the video was posted on the Internet, her attorney said.

The blurry, five-minute video shows Andrews standing in front of a hotel room mirror. It’s unknown when or where it was shot.

Andrews’ attorney, Marshall Grossman, confirmed Tuesday that the video posted on the Internet shows the 31-year-old reporter. He said she decided to confirm it “to put an end to rumor and speculation and to put the perpetrator and those who are complicit on notice that they act at their peril.”

Andrews plans to seek criminal charges and file civil lawsuits against the person who shot the video and anyone who publishes the material, Grossman said.

“While alone in the privacy of her hotel room, Erin Andrews was surreptitiously videotaped without her knowledge or consent,” Grossman said in an earlier statement. “She was the victim of a crime and is taking action to protect herself and help ensure that others are not similarly violated in the future.”

Andrews has covered hockey, college football, college basketball and Major League Baseball for the network since 2004, often as a sideline reporter during games.

A former dance team member at the University of Florida, Andrews was something of an Internet sensation even before the video’s circulation. She has been referred to as “Erin Pageviews” because of the traffic that video clips and photos of her generate, and Playboy magazine named her “sexiest sportscaster” in both 2008 and 2009.

She last appeared on the network as part of its ESPY Awards broadcast on Sunday, and is scheduled to be off until September, when she will be covering college football, ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said.

“Erin has been grievously wronged here,” Krulewitz said. “Our people and resources are in full support of her as she deals with this abhorrent act.”

It was not clear when the video first appeared on the Internet. Most of the links to it had been removed by Tuesday.

Several TV networks and newspapers aired brief clips or printed screen grabs of it Tuesday. Grossman responded to an e-mail question about whether he plans to go after those outlets by reiterating his statement that Andrews plans to seek civil charges against “anyone who has published the material.”

He would not say what law enforcement agencies might be investigating.

ESPN is based in Bristol, but Connecticut State Police were not involved in an investigation into the video, said Lt. J. Paul Vance, a department spokesman. Vance said investigations into Internet crimes often begin in the victim’s home state or wherever the video was shot, if that can be determined.

A phone call to a listing for Andrews in Georgia went unanswered. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said it was not involved in any investigation of the video.

Video voyeurism laws vary from state to state. In Connecticut, it is considered a felony and can result in a prison sentence of up to five years, Vance said.

FBI spokesman Paul Bresson said the FBI was not involved in the case, and was unsure if there was any federal jurisdiction.

Ephraim Cohen, a spokesman for the video portal Dailymotion, could not confirm the video had actually appeared on his company’s site, but said it may have been there months ago. He said a search for the name of the user who purportedly uploaded the video showed the person had opened an account in February, but had since closed it.

“As far as we can tell, the user took the account and the video down a while ago,” he said.

Illegal videos often are posted to multiple sites such as YouTube and Dailymotion, which remove them as soon as they are found. The videos also often circulate on peer-to-peer or file-sharing sites, much like illegal music downloads.

Graham Cluley, who writes a blog for the antivirus software maker Sophos, wrote that several links purporting to send Internet users to the Andrews video actually sent them to sites with malicious software and computer viruses.

He said the some of the hackers actually include a portion of the video on their sites, apparently hoping that the malware gets passed along as users share the link with friends.

“They keep on using (videos like this) because it works,” Cluley said. “If more people thought with their head rather than with their trousers, maybe less of these viruses would spread on our computers.”

Krulewitz, the ESPN spokesman, said the network has decided not to cover the issue as a news story, “particularly since it has no bearing on her role as an on-air reporter.”

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

The thread about this was recently deleted... I think for this reason about the Andrews nude thing.... this will likely also be deleted.

3. Rockets34Legend

Was this article in there? The Chronicle just posted this on their site just 20 minutes ago....

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Member

I imagine if the earlier thread was deleted it was because someone posted a link to the video.

5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

Bingo.

No reason to delete a mainstream news story unless some moron decides it's a good idea to link to the video/photos.

6. Rockets34Legend

They can just google it. Don't want this thread deleted.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Not this specific article no... but there were other articles in there also.... as well as video links... I'm guessing the video links brewed towards it being deleted.

8. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

just don't post any links to possible torrents or vids or anything.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I feel terrible for her, she doesn't deserve this....

DD

10. flipmode

flipmode Member

fast forward 3 months. if she's not working at espn and has moved on to better things, you can chalk it up to PR stunt.

until then, she has my sympathy... on the plus side, she's pretty hot. nothin to be ashamed about showing.

11. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

She's really hot and I want to see her naked but this seems pretty wrong...it's not like when a celebrity is naked on the beach or their boob falls out. This is a massive invasion of privacy and is criminal. I hope they catch whoever did it.

12. rudan

rudan Member

I'm still not ruling out the PR stunt aspect. She could have came out and denied that it was her and this story would have been dead. I know the whole catch the criminal aspect makes sense, but this would have been a non-story if she just denied it was her and moved on.

I know she was popular on the internet before this happened, but this story has been picked up my the mainstream press and has allowed her to become sort of a national celebrity intead of a popular espn person. Stuart Scott and Kenny Mayne are jealious right now :p

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm all for nudity, but this is sick and very illegal.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Nike has got rid of the tape.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I feel pathetic that I had no idea who Erin Andrews is, but knew who Graham Cluley is. Yup... pathetic.

16. moligity

moligity Member

Yeah, but i bet you've seen it

17. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

And Nike will soon delete this thread.

18. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I call this BS. I'm pretty sure she's with the help of someone set up that camera and leaked this out. I mean where have we all heard this before? Usually thing like this help a person career tremendously especially here in the US and or Europe.

19. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Half suspicious this was staged, but I expect her next move would be wait for the call from playboy.

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

:rolleyes:

Yeah, people who are already successful in their chosen career path are always looking to undignify themselves into celebreality hell.

She's not the only one who was video taped. There are multiple women who were peeped on in that same hotel.

I saw the dailymotion account mentioned in this blog before it was deleted and there were definitely multiple unsuspecting victims and the perpetrator is probably an employee at the hotel.