1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronic] Bonzi goes back to his game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ParaSolid, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Good to hear that he realized he was settling. Hope this means improved play from him.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5510294.html
    ------------------------

ROCKETS SUMMARY
    Wells provides spark off bench

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Wells steps up
    With a greater emphasis on getting into the lane, guard/forward Bonzi Wells gave the Rockets an important lift off the bench in Saturday's 91-83 win over the Bucks. Wells made four of seven shots and scored 10 points to go with seven rebounds and three assists.

"You've got to make a conscious effort to get to the lane," Wells said. "A couple people pulled my coattail, let me know I've been settling, not doing what I do. That's getting into the lane and trying to make things happen. From now on, I'm going to go out there and make sure I make a conscious effort to get into the lane and make some things happen and be aggressive, instead of settling and shooting jump shots and getting away from my game."

Wells played the entire fourth quarter as coach Rick Adelman continued his strategy of sticking with whatever mix is working.

"Obviously, he's not a stupid coach," Wells said. "He wants to keep the people out there that are playing well. It's the coach's job to try to find that right mix until you get that cohesive unit."

Just a second, Steve

Forward Steve Novak had no idea there was an issue with the Rockets' active list Saturday until official Joe Crawford told him he had to leave the floor.

Novak's name was inadvertently left off the Rockets' active list, with Mike James appearing twice. The Rockets were not permitted to make the correction with less than 60 minutes remaining before the game, making Novak ineligible to play.

"I was out there in the layup line and shooting around, enjoying the sights and sounds," Novak said. "He said, 'You have to go back to the locker room. You're not on the active list.' I kind of just said all right and walked away, acted like I didn't hear him. He said, 'Who's your captain?' I said Dikembe (Mutombo). He said, 'Dikembe, you have to tell Novak he has to go back.' Dikembe tried to help, but the league said it was too late."

With Luther Head out with a strained groin, the Rockets moved James to the active list in his place but also turned in a list with Novak's name crossed off.

"It was just a mistake," coach Rick Adelman said. "We put down the three guys we wanted inactive (Steve Francis, Kirk Snyder and Head) and by mistake they didn't list his name as (one of) the 12 guys active. We went out to try to change it with 50 minutes left on the clock. You're supposed to do it (by) an hour.

"The league wouldn't let us change. We called them and talked to the officials. They wouldn't let us change. I guess it must be written in stone."

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Mike James is so good we put him on the list twice.

3. landoo

landoo Member

Go ahead, Bonzi 6...

We all love you ... ;)

4. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

Deke is the captain? I thought T-Mac was..
    Anyway, Novak should have challenged Crawford to a fight :cool:

5. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

Music to my ears!!!

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yep, he should never take a shot over 15 foot.

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm just happy to see Bonzi using the word "conscious." Because most of the time, he plays like he ain't.

8. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Let's cut that in half.

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Fixed

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Now maybe he can make a consious effort to be OUT of the land and actually GUARDING his man on defense.

DD

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I don't trust Bonzi. I don't like Bonzi. I sincerely hope he is moved to a team needing a p/o push, like Cleveland (or NYK :D ) for any asset, including a low 2nd rounder.

But that's just me. And Wells is just...Bonzi.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yep yep...I believe Mike Harris could be doing all the same things but with greater efficiency.

DD

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I was thinking free throws.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Harris is your Adelman, eh (excuse me, adelman or is that adeletcetcman???)? I will give Bonzi this (as compared to Harris): he has experience and on-court wiles. He can 'get away' with things rooks just cannot. Look at how much better Yao is being called now than early times. Look at some of the close calls going against Scola and Landry.

Harris is welcome on the roster, but I'd rather Wells' playing time went elsewhere (unless and until Harris would do a practice Landry and wow'm til they played'm, and then wow'm some more in games).

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Good to see the coaching staff isn't paying attention to trivial little things like who is on the active roster.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Stick with Bonzi and hopefully he can play his way out of his funk. If we make the playoffs we are going to need another player that can create his own shots off the bench….

17. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

You should really change your username to something more appropriate to your personality. Something like ScrubFan#1. You just never let go of the scrubs. Even when they're long gone.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Funny how people think two different things about players. One person can see the effort the skill the energy, the athleticism, the bball IQ, and know that the rosters circumstances were stacked against him.

Whereas another fan - equally as passionate can see a scrub.

Very strange world.....

DD

19. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I've noticed that too. It actually happens quite often here on ClutchFans.

Interesting, indeed.

20. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

The guy isn't a scrub because he doesn't have passion and talent that make him a fan favorite. He's a scrub because he wasn't drafted and isn't playing in the NBA. When he gets a guaranteed contract for a team, maybe this status will change. But until then, claims that some undersized forward could have a greater impact on our team than Bonzi Wells is pretty irrational.

And it's not like he's the only scrub you've trumpeted as a Rockets savior and missed opportunity before. See also Vassilis Spanoulis (31 career NBA games; 2.2 ppg) and Bostjan Nachbar (25 career starts; 6.8 career ppg). I wish you'd stop pushing Aaron Brooks just to avoid giving him the DD kiss of death.