1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Yao's return brings hope, uncertainty

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMania1991, Apr 14, 2010.

1. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Even if he is playing exceptional and his foot is perfect, they don't want to injure it again. We can score without him, I think his main role when he comes back is to get our defense more polished.

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

If they can push it out to 28 min a game then 7 minutes a qtr sounds about right...15/9/2 would be my expectation.

3. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Well, I would like to see him have more minutes in the 4th quarter. Usually, the pace is slower and the half court offense/defense is more significant to winning a game. I would give him 7 minutes 1st, 7 minutes 2nd, set him in the 3rd, and the last 10 minutes of the game. But I'm sure it all depends on each game individually.

4. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Don't put chains on the guy. Hopefully Yao doesn't go along with this 25 min. a game crap. Yao is considered one of the top centers in the league, if you have it, use it. Maybe he gets injured again....maybe not. But why live your life or career playing it safe. Sometimes you just have decide to jump without looking.
    But this is just my opinion, that's all. :cool:

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think in a contract year the team should push him, to find out if he will hold up...

If not, you thank him, give him a gold watch, and move on....

DD

6. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

it wouldn't be so bad. Play him the first quarter. The bench comes in and does its thing. Then play him half the 3rd and half the fourth.

7. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

I love Yao. He's a hard worker, a great teammate, and a damn good basketball player. But I don't know how much longer I can deal with our best player being one of the most injury prone in the NBA. Way too much uncertainty. We could easily have a repeat of this season next year. It's not worth it. I don't think we should resign him.

8. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

Well put DD. I couldn't have said it better.

9. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

It would be a great pickup if he didn't want too much money, otherwise he's not worth it.

10. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

Is alot better than tracys playing time... :grin:

11. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

agreed. this isn't the time to be safe and avoid taking chances. we've done that WAY too long with Yao. this is the year ('10-'11) to determine where this team will be heading...

yao, battier, jefferies all expires and i think thats also when we choose to resign brooks?

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I hear you. I really don't hold out much optimism that he can come back to the point he can vault them into contender status. It's as you say: his body mechanics are working against him. Plus, it remains to be seen just how well he can be integrated into the current team. Remember, the original plan was to build around him and McLady and that never worked. Now the situation is reversed: instead of the team fitting around Yao - it will be Yao trying to fit into a team that was not constructed to take advantage of his game. I have to see that work on the court before I can buy into the optimism for next year. In all honesty my gut feels that he'll be injured again because that's been his history. If that does occur, where they (Rockets) go from there is anyone's guess.

13. Rochut

Rochut Member

What team in this league wouldn't be thrilled to add a guy at 7'5'' who gives you 8 rebounds, 16-18 points on 50% from the field and 80+% from the line in roughly a half-hour of playing time?

14. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

only foolish teams that take the risk of signing a severly injury proned guy whose next injury could spell his career retirement

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

The hardest thing for an athlete like Yao, a guy with tremendous work ethic and all around great bb talents, is to be told that it is probably time to hang it up. Reality is indeed a b****.

The future of this franchise will hang in the balance on whether the Rockets resign him to a relatively long term contract or not. Even a 3-year commitment at near max will handcuff this team should Yao be injured again.

I wouldn't want to be in Morey's position in regards to Yao's future contract.

16. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

huh? that's pretty much carl landry's stat line for the kings. would prefer that no be his stat line upon returning, but i know i'm setting myself up for failure. :(

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If we plan on pushing him then we better start prepping this team to compete without him just in case he cant hold up through the season. Hopefully Hill pans out over the summer and we can draft a true 7 footer to fill in because I am not as optimistic as everyone seems to be on during the telecasts and rockets.com articles.

18. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Yao is gonna work his hardest to get back in shape so I'm sure he will be able to put up 30 minutes a night which is all we need from him.

Get well soon Yao! :)

19. petechillcutt

petechillcutt Member

Am I the only one that thinks reduced minutes for Yao is going to make him a better player than he was (barring any post-surgery mishaps)?

Think about it:
    He could play something like the first 6-7 mins of 3 quarters and the last 6 of the game.
    He'll be able to play with more energy when he's in the game.
    He's the ultimate change of pace, slow half-court post offense when he's in and motion/fast break offense when's not.
    His efficiency will go up in limited minutes (less handling the ball, less fatigue, less turnovers)
    and of course his team is lightyears better offensively than it was so there will be much less of a burden to carry the offense all night.

Even in 18-20 mins a game he'll average 15/8/2 and his 86 FT% and 53% FG are likely to go up because even if he's lot some athleticism, his mix of height and touch is still deadly.

I'm excited about next season.