1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Yao will regain status as elite NBA big man.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by devin23, Aug 27, 2010.

1. devin23

devin23 Member

know its a solomon article but hey, at least he has been pretty positive lately on the outlook of the team. So i think it'd post this postive article on yao written by him.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7170256.html

The banging was real. Knee to thigh, hip to chest, chest to forehead.

That is what you get when you have a 7-6 center against a 6-6 power forward.

Yao Ming, the bigger man, the more polished player, won most of the battles. He should, even if Chuck Hayes is one of the smartest low-post defenders in the NBA. But a 16-month layoff because of foot surgery is a legitimate excuse for not playing well.

Yao has never been one for excuses. The No. 1 pick in 2002 might be injury-prone, but he always has put in full effort to return from injury or improve his game. If anything, he trains too hard.

Dikembe Mutombo told me Yao likes to practice as much as most players like to play. So we shouldn't have been surprised that Yao, cleared by Dr. Tom Clanton to "take part in normal basketball activities with no physical limitations," would look almost game-ready the first time the media were allowed to watch him play in a one-on-one drill at Toyota Center on Tuesday. Not to mention, with season tickets to sell, the Rockets wouldn't roll out a gimpy Yao for the cameras.

Still, impressed is the word of the day.

"I've been going against Yao for two weeks now, and I'm impressed," Hayes said. " I did not think he would be able to move. I figured, that long of a layoff in this game? I thought he'd be rusty. But two weeks working with him, I'm impressed. The big fella can move. He's working hard. He's trying. He's getting himself back together. I'm inspired and impressed by his work ethic."

In answering one question, Yao referred to the upcoming year as the 2009-10 season.

Waiting to rebound
    "Wait, I missed that season," he said with a laugh.

Yes he did. And by doing so, he lost his status as an elite NBA big man.

The stars have been aligning elsewhere, and until Carmelo Anthony's camp recently began leaking information that he would be willing to join Yao in Houston, we were beginning to wonder if anyone remembered the Rockets have a star. Meaning they are a star shy of title contention.

Still has touch
    It has been so long since we have seen Yao on the basketball court that some of you might have forgotten how good a player he can be.

With his Superman persona and aerial acrobatics, Dwight Howard is the most entertaining center in the NBA, but a healthy Yao Ming is the best in the league.

Yao didn't reclaim that designation in Tuesday's 15-minute workout against Hayes and James Cripe, a 7-footer from the NBA Development League, and there is much progress to be made. But we saw enough from Yao to know he can win back that title.

There is the sweet turnaround jumper, the quick spin to the hole, and the power turn to a virtually unstoppable jump hook. There is the consistent foul shot. And the comes-so-natural, playful trash talk, of which few know Yao is capable, is a sign of his growing confidence.

After draining a contest-winning jumper to shut up the ever-yapping Hayes and send his two opponents on a penalty-for-defeat run up the court and back, Yao said, "Say something, Chuck."

Chuck was defeated.

"His touch hasn't left him," Hayes said. "His footwork is still the same."

Yep, Yao is back.

Unfortunately, the next question is: For how long?

It is fair to ask and could be that way for the rest of Yao's career, considering he has missed 173 of 410 games the past five regular seasons. There is no assurance his body will hold up under the pounding of an NBA season despite the Rockets' plan to limit his minutes.

Precedent set
    If Yao responds to his surgery as well as Zydrunas Ilgauskas did to the same procedure, the Rockets will be ecstatic. After a career plagued by major foot injuries, Ilgauskas had the surgery to reshape his foot in 2000 and was out for a year. In the first seven seasons after he returned, he played about 30 minutes a game and missed fewer than four games a season, none due to the foot injury.

Yao hopes his surgery nets similar results.

"It's all been taken care of — remodeled my foot, remade my shoes," Yao said. "There is nothing else we can do, except maybe build a new basketball court."

The NBA has no plans for playing on a trampoline-like floor, so Yao is going to have to do it on the hardwood.

Important phase
    "This preseason, this training camp, is going to be crucial for him just to get himself conditioned mentally and physically for the game speed of playing pick-and-roll, running up and down, doing transition offense and defense," Hayes said. "We understand that he's going to get tired, and we understand that he probably won't be able to go as long on some days. But if we can just steadily carry him through this training camp and preseason, by the middle of the season he should be ready to go."

He looks almost ready.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7170256.html

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He doesn't have to regain anything.

His goal should be to stay consistent and play an entire season.

We don't need a superman who plays 50 mid season games.

3. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Wow, Solomon didn't use the word "mediocrity" once.

4. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Please Rockets, don't attempt that whole 1st quarter + 2 minutes of the 2nd quarter crap. Scale his minutes back no matter how good he feels.

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Well, good news is always nice.

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Oh I saw a clip and am going to write an article on it 2 days after it happened...solo-douche on top of things as always :rolleyes:

7. dropshot001

dropshot001 Member

Having a healthy and productive yao back is the main thing

8. ezzie

ezzie Member

well that was a surprisingly positive and wel written piece from the queen, m still not clicking the link and giving him page hits though :p

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

If anything, Yao should be able to endure way more and have way less stress after such a successful surgery. The guy is no longer playing with an abnormally high-arched foot. Like I've said before, try playing with a woman's high heeled shoe for most of your life on 1 foot have it break at a crucial point. Now take that pump off and toss it in the garbage. How does your foot feel now? If anything Yao should be able to play more minutes and once he gets his step back have even better game than ever before.

10. Dei

Dei Member

Yao's probably the player who benefits the most from being able to get custom shoes. More often, basketball shoes are about fluff, not performance.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well, it's official. Yao will not regain his elite status. Jerome Solomon went ahead and took care of that.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

No doubt the key to any major playoff run.

Yao Ming! Yao Ming! Ya0 Ming! Yao Ming!

What happened to that great soccer style chant sung when Yao first came?

The should revive it at the Toyota Center this year.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Is that what the problem was. The arch on one foot was too high?

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Maybe limit him to 7 minutes a game?... for the first 10-15 games?

15. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

One former Rocket who might not believe........Charles. :grin:
    Since Yao came into the league, Chuck was a doubter.
    Kenny on the other hand, always said Yao would be elite.

16. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

It worked for T-Mac. :grin:

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Yao really did look good in that video in the other thread. 7'6" big man with skills that makes other 7 footers like that kid Cripes look small, man how I missed that last season.

18. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

I still can't believe Cripes is a 7-footer... Yao looks like he's a foot taller than the D-League center...

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I was impressed with the vids clutch put up. Yao looks far better than I expected. Let's just hope Yao's body doesn't break down, it won't be from a lack of hard work that's for sure. It's really hard not to root for Yao.

On a different note, I'm gonna go ahead and give Solomon some credit for being much more positive lately. Do I feel like every piece has to be puff? No, but it's nice he seems to be finally recognizing some of the positives going on in the orginization.

20. Rockets007

Rockets007 Contributing Member

Yao worked out on 8/24, this article was posted that night! :rolleyes: