1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Yao understands, copes with unique status

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Free Agent, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Yao understands, copes with his unique status

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

LOS ANGELES -- First impressions being what they are, and Yao Ming being the dedicated student of all things American from the NBA point of view, there is only one conclusion Yao could reach: Shaquille O'Neal chickened out.

Yao by now must be certain snap judgments are the American way. O'Neal spent all that time talking about today's game and his first chance to introduce Yao to his elbows.

Yao is here, ready to play. But O'Neal postponed his planned return from toe surgery again, failing on his promise to welcome Yao to the NBA his way.

O'Neal must have been afraid.

There could, of course, be other considerations to explain O'Neal's inability to return to the court with the Los Angeles Lakers to face the Rockets tonight. But if anything has been clear in Yao's first weeks in the NBA, it might be that the Rockets' patience with Yao is not shared by those flocking to judge him.

"I haven't seen a lot of him, but all the clips they show on ESPN, all the news stations, it's kind of like they want to embarrass him a little bit, like he can't really play," Suns guard Penny Hardaway said Friday night after Yao's most impressive game of the season in an 88-87 loss to Phoenix. "But tonight he showed a lot of flashes of greatness."

Yao might be blessedly unaware of much of the instant analysis, having not spent time with newspapers, television or talk radio.

But an Arizona Republic columnist, writing before Yao's first 14-minute cameo in Phoenix, might not have been alone in his rush to judgment: "Inside of three or four years, he'll probably be history. It also brings to mind an interesting question: How do you say LaRue Martin in Chinese? A master of almost no facet of the game, Yao makes Martin look like another historic basketball figure, Wilt Chamberlain. Manute Bol has a better chance of playing hockey than Yao does of having an All-Star career."

The opinions of those that play, coach and scout the game almost unanimously differ, even after only seeing Yao in his limited duty.

And it probably isn't worth noting that "LaRue Martin" in Chinese is probably "LaRue Martin."

But even if Yao can more easily than most players avoid contact with the "experts," including Charles Barkley, who also has mocked Yao's growing pains, he is aware that his every move is judged. Every first visit to an NBA city brings another round of news conferences to say again he looks forward to learning to drive, loves his mom's cooking and needs to learn more about playing in the NBA.

The same jokes bring the same laughs. But Yao cannot help but notice the scrutiny that far exceeds other first-round picks.

"I'm aware," he said. "It makes me a little nervous. There is a lot of pressure on me. This is the most pressure I've ever faced in my life, but it's something I have to deal with."

But his nervousness during games has dissipated quickly. He was not intimidated by the physical play of Ben Wallace and Dale Davis during the summer Chinese national team tour, or by O'Neal's threats.

"I know if he plays, it will be more difficult for us against the Lakers, but I would also be able to gain more experience," Yao said. "I think everybody who is playing against me is being very physical."

For all the talk of Yao needing to gain upper-body strength -- an opinion he shares -- dealing with the NBA's speed rather than muscle has been a greater problem.

"I don't think I have been able to show the best of my abilities yet," he said. "I'm not quite used to the speed of the game, especially on offense."

Everything has moved quickly since his Oct. 20 arrival in Houston. But with the exception of the relentless media attention, Yao's routine as a player has slowed to the NBA routine.

But that has not allowed him to make up for the days in which life was a blur.

"It's like a guy trying to keep pace with a moving train," Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "Nobody knows what the future is going to be.

"I can say confidently that with time, he will be a good NBA player. There is something special about him, about how he moves and does things; there's a chance he can be better than that. He's got a feel for the game. He loves the game, with a passion for the game. But again, it's with time."

But Yao has seemed to start taking giant steps in that direction. Even in his most impressive game of the season Friday, Yao also was faked off his feet and to his backside by a Stephon Marbury crossover dribble.

But Yao moved quickly and confidently. He grabbed, rather than tipped, rebounds in crowds. He slammed hard and showed athleticism with a leap to block a high-arcing Shawn Marion shot.

The Rockets said Yao had his best week of practices leading up to the road trip. But with the game on the line Friday, Yao sat out the last 17 minutes.

Yao seemed more anxious than upset while he sat. Tomjanovich said Yao is too unsure of the Rockets' schemes to feel confident with him in the closing minutes.

"That's one of the reasons I can only play about 15 minutes right now," Yao said. "I don't have enough NBA experience. I need to accumulate more NBA experience.

"Coming off the bench is definitely a different role for me. But when I was in there, I got a lot of touches in the offense."

But the Rockets were always determined to be patient.

"Here's a guy trying to catch up," Tomjanovich said. "I don't know if he'll do it this year. I'm not saying he won't.

"There's so many positive things about his personality and the way he approaches the game. I wasn't thinking he was going to come in and just take over. I knew that."

But Yao has found patience nearly as difficult as those watching him, even if he also did not seem to be concerned if first impressions lead to harsh judgments.

But Yao's lack of interest in the early reviews differed from the practiced, often-feigned indifference of his peers. He seemed unconcerned.

"I guess I'll take it step by step," he said. "So far I don't think I played that well. I missed a lot of opportunities. I missed preseason games, preseason practices, so it has been tough.

"I don't think there were any other first-year players that had to do that. I'm a special case. I'm not really disappointed because of that. There's a long way to go.

"There's nothing I can really say. Basketball is not something that you can talk about, but rather it's an action through which you can show people. I just think I need to show them on the court."

2. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Penny was right on the money.

3. johnny33

johnny33 Member

totally agree with Penny here.. they all want to hate on Yao, say he's a bust. But he's only played 15 a game, and in those 15 he's shown he can play, he can score and he's got pretty good quickness for his size. This is no gheorge muresan. If the rockets didn't pick him at #1, I KNOW he would have been picked in the top 5 - no question. He hasn't even shown his shooting touch on the floor.

Let's say he can shoot as well as Bill Wennington (even tho he probably shoots better).. he still has better moves in the post, IMO.. AND he's 7'6".. There isn't a team in the league who wouldn't want a guy like that.

4. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

I'm glad you fellas noticed that quote from Penny...I was about to mention it myself.

5. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Whenever someone gets hyped as something really big, and people are heaping vast amounts of praise on them...people love to see them fail and flop.

That's the way the world works...and it's not just in basketball. But this happened to Bradley and even Kobe....people loved it (even on ESPN) when he airballed shots in the playoffs. hell, I loved it. Who the hell did he think he was, Michael Jordon?

That's how it works. When you are not expected to do anything, and you work miracles, eveyone loves you. You're just an average guy like them who was humble and there you go.

When people think you just want in and are made into a celebrity without "earning it" without paying your "dues", they want to see you suffer.

I don't think they hate him, I don't think anyone does. But I think big men in the league and others want to see Yao suffer and embarrassed a bit, not because they hate Yao, but because they hate all the hype that he was going to revolutionize the game as if the NBA was a kitty league.

To them, seeing Yao fail isn't making fun of him, but of what he represents, and what the NBA represents. That the NBA is superior to all basketball. The highest level, you can't just waltz in there. Which is what people perceived.

And that's all fine. Yao doesn't deserve special treatment. he's a man, and he could have stayed in China if he wanted to. He wanted to test himself, he wanted to play amonst and be the best, well, let's see if he has what it takes. He's making a ton of money, and he can't hack it, well that's too bad, he has it pretty damn good. And I don't hear him complaining anyway...it's all these other guys on this board.

It's not Yao's fault the he was overhyped, but he did nothing to oppose it either and he benefited from it. He didn't try testing the waters playing in the other CBA, or playing in Europe...he went directly to the highest league on earth.

First it was...Yao is going to be a star and revolutionize the game and dominate in new way. Then it was, he's tired and needs to learn the plays and has a new language. Now it's we never expected him to play much his first year.

That's what most of people were saying in the beginning and being laughed at. Now they are being proven right and they are gloating. But so what, Yao doesn't read the papers, he doesn't care. Only you guys do.

Fact is, Yao looks good for a few instances, and he looks downright silly at others. Flashes of greatness? Sure. Flashes of Embarassment? That too for sure.

Fact is, no one really knows what Yao will become, but we know what he is right now....and that's a very tall guy with good hands and a good head. That's a lot, but that's all he is. A 7'6" project...maybe the biggest project in NBA history - no pun intended.

I think he'll be a contributor, a solid one after a few years if he doesn't get hurt, and it seems that's what everyone is saying. Will he be a star? Maybe, i certainly wouldn't bet against a guy who is 7'6" who shows potential. I bet those guys on ESPN won't either.

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

ESPN and FOX are in a fad right now...

With all the media saturation surrounding Yao in the last few months,
    they will go out of their way to make fun of him.

It's just natural for people to "bash" someone or something if it gets
    too popular too fast.

It's ok, though...

It's better that EPSN/FOX make fun of Yao now (while they have a chance).

Just like Yao in the media "got old." Bashing Yao will get old too.

Yao will get the last laugh! :D

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

What a dick! I bet he is not so sure about that article after watching the game.

8. DavidS

NY,

So, I'll go out on a limb and say it...

He's too big and too skilled not to become a "star."

He will. I can see it even with all his rough edges.

#8 DavidS, Nov 17, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2002
  9. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

From NewYorker

It's not Yao's fault the he was overhyped, but he did nothing to oppose it either and he benefited from it. He didn't try testing the waters playing in the other CBA, or playing in Europe...he went directly to the highest league on earth

Great. It is a legit point to say he was overhyped, even though I disagree, but what the hell he supposed to do. If you have listened to all the interviews he had made before coming over here, his responses have always be humble to say the least. He never said he gonna come over here to dominate and to kick American ass. He repeatedly said that the NBA game is different, competitive, it will take him 2 to 3 three years to adjust to it. He even said he would fail initially, but he will keep on trying. It might be his Chinese way of responding to questions, but sure not a way to promote the hype. So what do you want him to do to "oppose it". You want him to proclaim himself that he could be a bust. Jesus Christ. If you were YAO MING, I guess you would go to test the waters in Europe before coming here to play. You better learn to speak Italian first before you go there. BE REAL.

#9 gotoloveit2, Nov 17, 2002
  10. DavidS

He's not to worry about such things. He's just need to get better
    and the rest will come.

Build it and they will come! :D

11. prlen

prlen Member

yao, at worst ,power-Smith
    story is over.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

At this day and time, the Franchies should be getting the most touches on this basketball team. Yao Mings day will come eventually.

13. yaomingdude

yaomingdude Member

If you feel like emailing this imbecile and flaming him, he deserves iit. He needs to be held accountable for how WRONG he was with Yao's performance against the Suns, and how he will be 3-4 years from now. His email address is randy.brickley@arizonarepublic.com (his contact information, including phone number, is at the bottom of the Web page posted below). If he's going to write smack, then he certainly deserves getting some smack himself for being an idiot. Note: in addition to being an idiot, he also looks like a dork from his picture on the site.

Let us know if you end up flaming him, and if he responds.

Here's the link to the article:
    http://www.arizonarepublic.com/sports/articles/1115friguide1115.html:mad:

14. johnny33

johnny33 Member

why the HELL would you go to Europe or the CBA if NBA scouts have already dubbed you a high lottery pick??

that's r****dED

gee.. make 4 million a year in the NBA or make 40,000 a year in the CBA

15. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

NewYorker,are you from ESPN?
    Have YaoMing kicked your ass before?

16. njsun

njsun Contributing Member

Now, I start to like your balanced attack on Yao. Hope, at least ESPN can do that too.

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I agree with what you said about the way people are.

I'm not sure if this is a sad commentary on:

a. Our culture
    b. The state of journalism
    c. The petty, vindictive nature of the average person who feels this way

Maybe all three. Bill Walton called it a sad commentary on our culture that we would treat a player like Yao in that way (or Kobe or whoever). He's right. It is.

You are young. You are talented. You are different. We'll make fun of you mercilessly when you fail but praise you as God's gift to basketball when you succeed. What a pathetic way to treat another human being no matter who he is. Well, unless of course he's Karl Malone. :)

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If it is Karla Malone, you should make fun of him mercilessly no matter if he fails or succeeds.

If you needed more proof, read this part of an article by Charley Rosen for ESPN (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/rosen/021115.html):

I am surprised by how bluntly this Rosen guy (I don't know him) attacks players...first Kobe, now Malone...so far, I love it :D.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I usually don't pick on any particular poster (other than trolls). I can agree or disagree with anyone on this board. But for some reasons, every time I see NewYorker's posts, I have an urge to poke holes in his stuff. When I saw his post this morning, it suddenly dawned on me, ironically, by what a valid point he made, on why I like to bash him so much. Maybe it is because he is hyped (by himself, albeit) to be the "objective fan" and his despites against any kind of "hype" that I have the irrational desire to see him fail.

First off, the term "objective fan" is an oxymoron. The most objective "fans" are the bandwagoners. Why would an objective, rational human being root for a bunch of losers who can't win more than 30 games in an NBA season? Well, maybe our objective NewYorker didn't root for the Rockets last season.

As for his post in this thread, someone has already pointed out the nonsensical "It's not Yao's fault the he was overhyped, but he did nothing to oppose it either and he benefited from it." quote.

Let me just add a couple more.

Is he saying that flashes of greatness is something comparable to flashes of embarassment on a rookie? How wrong is that! EVERY rookie has flashes of embarassment. Only a few, very few, have flashes of greatness. It is because Yao belongs to those very few that he is being hyped.

Here's another one.

Good hands and good head, that's all he is? Enough said.

And no one really knows what Yao will become? Yes, of course. No one really knows whether he or she will live through today either. So that means if anyone talks about what he/she will do tomorrow as if tomorrow's life is a given, that person is just a blind subjective fanatic about life.:rolleyes: We do prediction of the future in life ALL THE TIME based on what we know in the presence. You can disagree with other poeple's assessment of Yao's potential with solid basketball arguments. But please don't give us the "objectivity" craps.:mad:

20. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I think it's human nature to be honest. It's just the way people are.

It's like Icarus...people want to see those who try to fly too high be humbled...that there is some sense of equality. I think part of it has to do with just being sick of hype.

The Rockets Marketing Dept. need to take some blame for this. That whole campaign they launched "be part of something big" I think ended with a lot of resentment. Then Again, they probably made a lot of money from it, so maybe it was worth it to them.

#20 NewYorker, Nov 17, 2002