1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Yao mulls contract status, considers free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drew_Le, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Morey REALLY screwed up if yao opts out.

2. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

You're telling me, that if you can get more money somewhere else, you won't go?

Give me a break. Sure there's player loyalty, but when it comes down to human nature, one goes where the money is.

3. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Honor and this thing called 'face' supposedly mean a lot in China and in the Asian culture in general.

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

We gotta hope and pray he stays.

Hopefully he passes up the big markets of Los Angeles (Clippers) and New York (Nets/Knicks)

5. rage

rage Member

"Supposedly"?
    Honor means a lot but signing a big BB contract does not go against that. Don't give me the ***** about the team being loyal to him all these years ... It's been great from both sides and they agreed on a contract that was mutually beneficial. It wasn't like the Rockets was throwing unearned money at Yao.

On the other hand, this would be stupid:
    "Opt out and not take the $17 mil so that he can sign a 3yr/ $12 mil contract."

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. I think Yao's next contract if he opts out will be much more rich than people here are thinking. I think it is likely that he gets a max contract, despite his foot problems. The years might not be maxed, but the salary would be. Why do I think so? Paying someone the max is a big investment, but counting on a player to be your centerpiece and building your team around him, pinning all your championship hopes on him is an even bigger investment. The Rockets have decided to do that. So, they've decided they aren't that scared of his health problems, at least for a certain number of years. They've already invested organizationally, so putting the dollars in now is only sensible.

2. Yao isn't thinking about leaving, just extending his years on contract with the Rockets. Of course, he could leave to another team if he had to -- and he needs that option open to keep his contract value high. But, I'd be shocked if his first and second option wasn't to stay.

3. It would be a setback for the Rox if Yao opted out, but I don't think Morey has made a mistake if he does, and I'm sure he's considered the possibility and what he'd do if it happens. The team has a lot of flexibility right now, at least. I don't expect we'd be in the lottery for years.

4. abc2007 is right. Yao has to look after himself, because the Rockets will look after themselves. T-mac was untouchable in his first couple of seasons with the Rockets, and then they couldn't get rid of him fast enough. The same can easily happen with Yao or any player.

7. lalala902102001

At this poitn I do not want to regisn Yao Ming to a long-term contract, not before we've seen him play. If he opts out the Rockets need to make a decision on whether we need to change direction for the franchise's future.

8. lalala902102001

I think that Morey has created enough flexibility with the roster and the draft picks he acruired so the Rockets can handle any scenario well, including one that involves yao opting out.

Wait and see. This summer is going to be fun.

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Not all humans are money grabbing! Only the ones who place money above God! :p

10. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

As long as he doesn't go ring chasin' with LA.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yao walking away from $17 mil. coming off of a Season ending surgery would be stupid and very risky.

I don't see Yao as being either greedy or dumb. What team would offer him a contract worth more than $17 mil for more than 2 years anyways with his injury history.

Sounds like his agent is just doing his job. It's good that he test the market so we can see how much it would cost to extend him though.

12. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

I think people are focusing too much on "how much money Yao will get in the open market." Yao has came out and said a few times that he wants to win a ring [citation needed]. So if the New Jersey Nets offer Yao the max contract with scrubs filling the rest of its roster, I highly doubt Yao would chase after that kind of money. The best case scenario for Yao would be a playoff contender, with better talent/potential than the Rockets, that could also offer him reasonable money (15mil~). Unless all of these scenarios can be satisfied, which I highly doubt, it's safe to bet that Yao will be a Rocket come next year.

13. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

would it be funny if the knicks or lakers go after yoa if he opts out our worst rivals recently

14. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

This sir, is what I'm afraid of... Hope not. I want Yao to have a ring with Houston. Lakers would be a huge market for Yao for obvious reasons. Kobe, Yao, Artest, and Gasol... Let us pray.

15. roxwin

roxwin Member

You still dont get it ,do you? even with Yao only play 10-20 games a year,whole China will still be with him.It is not about himself,Its about the pride.

16. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I highly doubt Yao leaves Houston, even if he goes into free agency I see him signing a longer deal with Houston for less money per year. However, the problem with signing him to a long term deal now is that we haven't seen him back from injury, if he flops this next season its a dead contract we're holding for a while. I hope he doesn't opt out, but if he does, I still don't see him leaving.

17. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

There is no way in hell the Lakers could afford Yao.

18. roxwin

roxwin Member

There is way that Yao give up tons of money and just chasing his dream and I said long time ago,Yao is leaving Houston for sure after TMAC left

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

For those saying Yao really wants a Ring and would go to LA to get one.

Yao would trade 3 championship rings for 1 Olympic gold medal for China.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

What if the Knicks try to sign Yao and bring back the Yao-McGrady combo?