1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Yao-McGrady combo could be fascinating...and more

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2541511

Question: I think with all the off-season trades and signings, the Rockets look to be the strongest cowboy out west. I heard the trade rumors of the Eric Piatkowski for Dikembe Mutombo deal and I think it would be great to have his defensive presence. I think Mutombo and Patrick Ewing would be great mentors for the young Yao Ming. What do you think are the chances of this deal happening?

Answer: I can't tell how it's going to play out. They're definitely not better than the Spurs and Timberwolves. The Mavericks and Lakers are worse, so there's a chance to move up. An NBA scout told me the Rockets could finish anywhere from third in the West to out of the playoffs. It's going to be fascinating to see how the Yao-McGrady combo works out. I agree Mutumbo would be perfect in short spurts. I think Juwan Howard is going to be a significant acquisition.

-----------------------------------------------------

With point guards in place, Rockets focus shifts to backup center

Q: With the signings of two point guards, Charlie Ward and Bob Sura, what are the Rockets options for acquiring a back up center? Are they still able to sign a veteran to a minimum contract? Is there anybody worth having that might be available using the trade exception?
    Doug in Houston
    A: Acquiring a backup center is their top priority now. There are lots of names floating around out there, and I'm not sure who they're most comfortable with. Scott Williams is a name I've heard associated with the Rockets, but I don't think he's their first choice. I have a feeling it'll happen rather quickly.

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

damn Scott Williams sounds sooooo appealing in comparision to an over the hill finger waver

3. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Member

I still don't understand why people ask Justice questions about basketball.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I still don't understand why people ask Justice questions about anything...

5. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

well, i mean sometimes i feel like "i could have written that"...

but i don't really want his job... so i mean i respect what he's doing.

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Scott Williams?. hmm he seems a little too soft to me. he can put the ball in the Hole, but i dont think his all that on defense. I can see JVG being interested in him.

7. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I meant I "CANT" see JVG being Interested in him..

8. RocksMillenium

And you don't think Scott Williams is over-the-hill!? :confused:

And Mutombo was STILL far more effective and far more productive and far more active then Scott Williams.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would rather have Mutombo over Scott Williams. The reason? the ONLY reason we need a backup C is for SHOT BLOCKING. Why go after Williams who isnt much of a shot blocker when Mutombo is out there? If we wanted Williams I would rather us just use the Howard/Taylor/Spoon rotation to fill backup C.

The primary reason for the backup C is to be a shot blocking presence when Yao is out of the game to anchor the defense.

Scott Williams isnt much of an intimidator.

10. Rudyball

Rudyball Member

If Yao goes down for an injury you will wanting more of a shot-blocker in there until he recovers.

CD, Do the Mutombo deal, and let's get to work on the season. :D

11. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

Yikes!!!Don't even talk about Yao going down. That's just horrid!!!!We would suck for years.

12. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I am a big Yao's fan and god forbids if he goes down ... but we'll be ok.
    If we can get Deke and he can manage to close down the middle a little and get a few rebounds, we'll be in good shape.

We have scoring from everywhere, TMac, JH, JJ, MoT, Bobby ... We have a lot of people who play team ball and defense. We have as good a team as we ever had in the Rockets' history. Of course, if we have the man in the middle, we'll be awesome.

13. DeAleck

DeAleck Member

We will NOT be ok with Yao going down. We won't be too much better (other than coaching) than the Magic of last year.

14. RocketForever

RocketForever Member

Without Yao we would become the Houston Magic.

15. vwiggin

vwiggin Member

No. No one can be the Magic but the Magic. That team is freaking cursed.

Rockets, on the other hand, has been a relatively lucky franchise. (knocks on wood) :)

16. daoshi

daoshi Member

Williams might be a bit slow, but he is a good post defender. I don't see any problem for him to play 15 to 20 minutes back up 4 & 5.