1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Yao is a smart shopper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by corby, Mar 19, 2007.

1. corby

corby Contributing Member

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4642032.html

The Bayi Rockets defeated the Guangdong Tigers in Game 1, Yao heard.

He did not, however, follow it live online, as he would have in Houston.

"The hotel would charge $10 for the Internet, so I didn't get it," Yao said. "I just waited for friends to call to say they lost Game 1.

"Hey, that's not cheap. You pay $10 for 10 minutes; that's not fair. You can wait 20 hours to get home, where it's free."

Love this dude. At least, now we understand why he doesn't pay to live in a gated community.

P.S. This is only acceptable if your name is Yao or Tracy. If anyone on this board would not pay $10 to follow a Rockets playoff game, you are off the board.

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

If I were Yao, after the last home game.. I would be paying for that gated community!!

I do love the quote though... smart guy. You know he won't be broke ten years after retiring from basketball.

3. metalshred

metalshred Member

That's a quality of all southern Chineses. If he were from the north, he would probably be broke even before he completes his career at the age of 60.

Lol, 60, how i wish. Go Yao!

4. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Yao is cheap. jk. It's amazing that he donates so much to charity, but he is very careful with even $10 for internet.

5. metalshred

metalshred Member

Yao is a great guy. He is not spending much on his own, but loves to help others with whatever he can do. I love him. Yao is the guy, he'll keep rockets rolling, God has his bless on him, and we have our fingers crossed.

6. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

I don't pay for internet in hotel rooms, either.

What's weird is.. in the mid-level and cheaper hotels, internet access is free.

7. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Most Asians are conservative spenders. As an Asian, I would know. :cool:

8. ysong00

ysong00 Member

I bet you if the hotel sees this article, they will start giving free internet access. For a nice hotel (which I'm assuming they are staying in), it's not a major cost to them anyways.

Yao is becoming more and more the voice of the average joe!! hahah

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

of course he's cheap, the chinese government takes all his money

10. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

true..but most asians are NOT multi million dollar sport icons ..

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Is the brainwash of American media done to you beyond reproach, or were you genetically engineered to be ignorant?

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

no he is right its $10 for 10 minutes which is outrageous. on my last business trip to portland the hotel i stayed in charged a similar rate for internet usage. I quickly ran to the nearest starbucks and used the internet there for free.

imagine paying over $100 dollars to watch a game online or maybe not even watch the game but follow the box score when you know your friends will call you as soon as the game is over. doesnt make sense to me, good to see yao isnt as foolhardy as some of the other nba players (or any young rich person)

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

$10 for 10 min?? Last hotel I stayed at charged $15 for 24 hours.

14. sjiang78

sjiang78 Member

I was in a 5 star hotel last week and the internet access was $10 a day
    however the server was down for a day and I have to call their custom service for an hour

15. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Lucky for you, your friends follow the Rox. Mine are a bunch of girls (not literally) that watches soccer and don't know squat about basketball :(

This is pretty much the only place where I can talk basketball.

16. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

ROTFLMAO !!!!! :D :D :D

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

For a large high-rise hotel, providing the physical network is expensive, that is why a small 3 story Best Western can provide it free. This is what I had explained to me by the Hyatt-Regency.

18. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

Come on ... Yao was just joking .... I hope by now you would understand yao's sense of humor ...

It would be a very hard thing for Yao to do to get up early in the morning just to watch a bball game in China that had nothing to do with him but to exhaust him. Yao is a smart guy too, you know.

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

What's the deal with a 5-star not giving up the free wi fi? Damn!

20. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Yao seems perfectly fine with paying for p*rn at hotels...