1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron Wizards Game Story] Yao Ming demands more Head

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5439252.html

Interesting take from Yao Ming. Statistically, he is right, I guess. If Luther Head can make about 38%+ of his somewhat open 3s, that's a very high expected value in terms of points per possession compare to what NBA teams-- and the Rockets in particular-- usually gets per possession. It's probably gets as high a rate of return than many Yao post-up possessions (depening how teams are playing him).

So.. unless another Rocket has a wide open layup, why not let it fly?

I think this is also in line with what Adelman is trying to do-- getting guys other than Yao and McGrady to take more initiative. If these guys are covered, cut, drive, attack the weakside, fire it up rather than trying to force it to the stars.

2. Classic

Classic Member

Funny title seeing as Yao just got married :D

Bottom line, when the role players make 3's/open shots, the rockets win

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

"Try not to dribble." Is the best advice anyone can give Luther Head.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

great title! it actually made me smile. hopefully the knicks will get a lot of head tomorrow night.

5. jlwee

jlwee Member

Is funny nowadays if you noticed when all rockets players talked to the mediam they always this word "SHARE THE BALL", are all of them taking shots at T-mac indirectly? :rolleyes:

6. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Good to see Yao saying the same thing I've been thinking. Luther is a much better shooter than even he seems to think sometimes -- his 3 point shot is always a high percentage shot. He's one of those guys whose shooting abilities are actually better than their career percentages indicate -- he can make that shot at a pretty good clip even with a hand in his face. As aggressive as he was last night, he should've shot even more. Less dribbling, less passing, more shooting.

I thought he could've gone off for 32+ points if he had shot more instead of forcing some of those passes, and the game would've been over much earlier.

7. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Jonathan Feigen does a great job covering the Rockets - always offers good analysis and insight into the team.

8. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

[​IMG]

"I will get right on that"

9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Luther Head is serviceable against average and less than average comptetition, but he is not somebody that you would want to give significant mins to against elite competition. He's just not that good.

10. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

I like how we are playing right now.

But by sharing the ball, we need:

1. less turnovers

2. consistant 3pts shooting percentage

3. overall consistant FG

4. Confidence but not overconfidence, especially when we are against the elites.

Are we able to do those?

11. tsunami

tsunami Member

Cause they wanna set a model for TMAC when he comes back.

12. Asian Sensation

Luther's jumper is so unorthodox it looks like hes going to come down and fall on the defender's foot and break his ankle. I'm glad their droppin though.

13. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Well since everyone is taking turns to score 20+ pts a night as of late I want to see Luis get in on the act and maybe go for 30+ and show them how it's done! :D

...then Bonzi's turn!

14. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

with Yao inside ,the other should score open-shooting,or penetrate with Yao's cover,that's simple

15. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I think he learned that shot at Illinois along with Deron Williams. If you watch Williams' 3 point shots, they look EXACTLY the same as Luther Head's.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Sorry. This Rocket team will sure go crazy if the opposing team has a play maker or two, can shoot, and has a qucik big to box Yao out. I just dont feel comfortable when Luther hold onto the ball for too long. However we should run some plays for Luther to catch and shoot. Luther shooting outside while Yao has his man pinned is probably not a good play.

17. cujo

cujo Member

i really like how this team is playing now. It's not about just one guy scoring all the time and getting his numbers. We have players now that can step up when others are struggling. So one night Brooks scores 22, then Head scores 24, maybe Scola's turn tomorrow. This is definitely a good sign for the Rockets.

18. eck_snoop

eck_snoop Member

"yao ming demands more head"

ummmm you may want to re look at that sentence and put in a luther before his last name.........................

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I think this highlights even more just how impressive Rafer has been over this stretch. He has become so good at identifying who has the hot hand early and feeding them repeatedly. The previous game, it was Brooks, last night, it was Head.

20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

So your saying he should play tha Peja role in Adelman's offense? :D :D :D