1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron:With regular season looming, Francis' status unclear

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shehzad23, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Shehzad23

Shehzad23 Member

Didn't see it posted

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6070653.html

Practice was over and Steve Francis, who had watched the 5-on-none offensive drills at the finish from a spot beyond one baseline, trudged off the court, his nose stuffy, his eyes watery and glazed.

“I’ve got to go lay down,” Francis said.

Trouble is, as the Rockets start to finalize their preparations for the regular season opener on Oct. 29, it’s time for Francis to stand up and claim a spot on a team that has its highest expectations in years.

But just when Francis had pronounced himself ready to fully test the right knee that underwent surgery in February for a torn quadricep tendon, he had missed three straight days of team workouts with a head cold. When he returned to practice on Monday, there were conflicting opinions on how much work he got in.

“The knee felt pretty good. I did it all,” Francis said, indicating it was the fourth time since the start of training camp that he’d gone through an entire practice.

“I’m still waiting to see,” said assistant coach Elston Turner, who ran the second half of the workout after head coach Rick Adelman had to leave for an appointment. “He’s on my practice list. I have his name right here. ‘Steve Francis.’

“He’s included in our plans for the season in the sense that if he’s able to participate and play, OK. He’s there. If he can’t, we just have to move on.”

It’s the latest twist in a road that has become increasingly bumpy for the player who once was “Stevie Franchise” for the Rockets. Since returning to the team a year ago, Francis has barely been a blip on the radar screen. He was on the inactive list for 58 games last season, one for personal reasons, one with a sore back, four with flu-like symptoms and 52 due to the knee injury.

The highlight of the 2007-08 season for Francis came on Nov. 28, when he came off the bench with nine points, seven assists, two steals and two blocks at Phoenix. He scored a crucial driving layup and got a hand on a shot by Amare Stoudemire that iced a fourth quarter comeback and Rockets’ win. Barely a month later, Francis was virtually out of the picture as his knee problems developed.

After rehabbing through the summer, the 31-year-old Francis came to camp this season still not fully recovered and had to take things slow. With the team down to just one remaining exhibition schedule and the regular season drawing near, he knows the clock is ticking.

“It’s all up to the coach,” Francis said. “It’s his decision. It’s a process with the knee. But I’m ready to play when they want me to play. I can go.

“I’ve been working hard. It’s been tough. I’m still ahead of schedule after the surgery. I’m about ready to get on the court. I felt OK today. I wasn’t as sharp as I could be.”

Francis did some individual strengthening with the training staff and got in some running on Monday. But just a short time into the full scrimmaging, he had to leave the court because he was feeling sick.

“I’d love to have him here,” said teammate Rafer Alston. “This team would love to have him here. Ron (Artest) talks all the time about what it would be like if Steve could come in here and help. He’s a tough cover. He’s got a good jumper, he can run and drive to the basket, he’s one of the best rebounding guards in the league and he’s been an All-Star.”

However, Francis’ last All-Star appearance was in 2004 and since that time he’s often been trying to recapture the physical conditioning and the spark in his game.

“I, for one, am in his corner,” Turner said. “Steve is 31 years old and I wouldn’t say I’ve seen enough personally to make a judgment. If he gets to the point where he is the Steve we all remember and can contribute, I think everybody is in his corner.

“He’s a good guy. He’s had a good career. If we have to move on, we’ve got guys who can play the position. We’ve got other ‘2s’ who can slide to point for a few minutes.

“We’ve got guys in here who are hungry to participate. They’re probably smiling when somebody is out and they get a chance.

“We all just hope that Steve gets better, comes to work and shows us what he can do.”

fran.blinebury@chron.com

2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

It seems the rockets are ready to move on. Sigh!

3. Pringles

Pringles Member

“He’s included in our plans for the season in the sense that if he’s able to participate and play, OK. He’s there. If he can’t, we just have to move on.”

This is what I wanted to hear.

:)

4. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

Damn. Before the Rockets drafted Yao....I was a really big Steve Francis Stan. I hope he makes the rotation, I grew up watching Steve play....the first game I ever saw was when Stevie torched the Spurs with a double double and a really memorable acrobatic layup....I'd love to see Steve end his career on a high note (Championship).

5. csux

csux Rookie

Break my heart~~

oh well,
    time to work on that dial, morey.

6. Laozi

Laozi Member

I wouldn't say this is the final nail in the Steve Francis coffin, but there aren't too many more left. If he doesn't play in any meaningful time Thurs. then I'd say he's gone. Even if he does, if its in scrubtime, they likely would just be doing him a favor in letting the rest of the league see him.

7. DPballer

DPballer Member

What are the chances Francis even plays a single minute this year in a regular season game? I say about 15% and lowering as we speak.

8. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

I hope Stevie proves us all wrong on that. He's a real cool cat, he's got a lot of heart...at a point in his career, he was even one of the league's Marquee players.

My how things change...

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Wow - sounds like Steve needs to get busy proving himself.

DD

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Adam Clanton said this morning on AM610 that he heard SF would be cut to make room for Deke.

11. DPballer

DPballer Member

Before the season? I assumed we wouldn't sign Deke till much later on in the season.

12. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

What? No way...I mean, I like Deke...but come on....damn, I'd seriously CRY if they did that to Steve. (It's okay....Men can cry)

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Pizza boy faints.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Sounds like its all on Francis. They know what he can bring, if he is healthy. That cold going around is no joke. It hit Yao, Francis and now Scola.

15. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I agree it doesn't make any sense, unless they're sure they can make Francis' salary come off the books this season.

But it sounds like they're planning to keep both Wafer and DJ now, doesn't it?

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I heard that too, but why would we take a salary cap hit by just cutting him? His salary is enough to make a difference on taking a luxury tax hit.

17. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

To consider not keeping him on the roster would mean they don't believe he will come back at all this year. They will have to pay him anyway. I don't see the advantage in releasing him when you could drop Harris and wait another month to know better.

18. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Epitome of a has been. Too bad he wasn't even that great.

19. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Yeah, but notice ONLY Francis missed practice time.

20. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

I gotta feeling Stevie aint finished yet...he's aint an official "has been" yet...he's still a "can still be" player...the fact that he was dedicated enough to lose the extra weight and get back to a leaner build shows us that he's still got the discipline and hunger to make something happen.

"Never underestimate the heart of a Champion", and Steve's got one of the biggest hearts in the league, ever since we made that trade for him, he's always wanted to win.