1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Winning Leads List for Alexander (rockets wanted artest)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texas Stoke, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Jan. 28, 2006, 11:00PM
    Winning leads list for Alexander

By RICHARD JUSTICE
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Yes, the Rockets wanted Ron Artest. Not even a tough call. Desperate teams do desperate things.

''I thought with a new club, a new experience, he'd have a couple of years where he'd try to be the best he could be," Rockets owner Les Alexander said. ''He likes Houston. We thought he could help us."

The Sacramento Kings agreed. They won the Artest lottery this week, beating out several teams to acquire the combustible star from the Indiana Pacers.

''There were a lot of things that were in a team's favor of getting Artest right now," Alexander said.

The Rockets were interested in Artest for the same reason the Broncos and Dolphins might make a run at Terrell Owens. They believe the potential greatness outweighs the risks. And there's money. Artest's contract is up after next season. He's on trial for the next 18 months. A rotation with Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady and Artest could play deep into May.

Alexander offered this nugget about Artest during a 90-minute lunch in which he touched on an array of topics, beginning with his 15-27 team. He doesn't do many interviews, but on this day, he's open, funny and talkative. He makes it clear that a lower profile doesn't mean he's less involved than any other owner in town. He's just less visible.

Front-row view

For example, ask him about last spring's Game 7 loss to Dallas and he says: ''I was emotionally destroyed."

All that many fans know of Alexander is that he's the guy sitting stoically at midcourt for most home games. They know the Rockets are well run, that there's no public crying about finances and that the owner doesn't crave attention.

Yet the Rockets reflect his vision the same way the Astros reflect Drayton McLane's. He designed the interior of Toyota Center, ordered GM Carroll Dawson to acquire McGrady, hired Jeff Van Gundy and sometimes speaks to his top people several times each day.

He frets over details. Challenges both his basketball and business people. Wishes he could enjoy games more.

''I'm sitting there constantly thinking about the team, how we're doing, what do we need, what's the coach doing, is the building being maintained properly?" he said. ''I'm internalizing. When we get a lead, I'm just hoping it will end quickly so we can win. There are all kinds of things going on."

No kidding around

He changed the club's decision-making process after the disastrous Eddie Griffin trade, ordering more extensive background checks of potential draft choices. Over the years, he has gotten harder on the club's personnel men — are you listening, Bob McNair? — yet shows more understanding of why things sometimes don't work out as planned.

''Offer them whatever they want as long as it's not super ridiculous," he remembers telling Dawson when the McGrady discussions began.

He's competitive. He hasn't forgotten how Magic officials gloated that they'd fleeced the Rockets after that deal.

He finalized the purchase of the Rockets in July 1993. The Rockets won a championship during his first season and another in his second. He didn't even attempt to put his stamp on the franchise.

"I understood that Rudy (Tomjanovich) was brilliant," he said.

Those championships seem like an eternity ago. The Rockets had a $13.6 million payroll for the first one. This season, it's around $65 million.

''I remember sitting in my seat at the game, saying to myself, 'This is way too easy. I'm not going to appreciate it how difficult it easy to do this for awhile,' " he said.

He understands now. Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler are long gone. The Steve Francis trade didn't bring a championship. Now he's hopeful Yao and T-Mac will get him a third trophy.

''It's a very difficult process," he said. ''I think we have a great inroad into that process with Yao and Tracy being so young and being so great. But it's still a very difficult process."

Injuries deplete team

The Rockets were a popular choice to make the Western Conference finals when the season began. They won 51 games last season, pushed Dallas to seven games in a first-round playoff series and added a solid point guard (Rafer Alston) and a highly regarded (and so far underachieving) power forward in Stromile Swift.

They had two stars in McGrady and Yao and a bunch of veteran role players. And they have a terrific coach.

''I loved this team," Alexander said. ''We had all the pieces. We were deep. We had a great coach."

And then McGrady got hurt. And then Alston. And then Yao. The Rockets have had their three most important players together in the starting lineup five times. As a result, the Rockets lost 25 of their first 37. They're 0-16 when McGrady isn't around for the finish.

''It makes you sick inside," he said. ''Sometimes I have to turn the television off when we're losing. I can't take it physically. It's sad. I hate to look like a loser. When you can't win, it's horrible.'"

McGrady and Alston are back. Yao should return next week. Is there still time?

''I think we've got a real good shot at it," he said. ''We're (5 1/2 ) games away from the last spot. If we get in, we'll be a tough seed. Our record won't indicate exactly where we are."

(He might be overly optimistic. They entered Saturday with the worst record in the West and six teams to pass. And while their front line might be as good as any once Yao returns, they probably need more perimeter offense to make a legitimate run.)

Van Gundy's way

I ask about Van Gundy's decision to force his players to eat sandwiches instead of the usual bountiful locker room buffet. Doesn't that qualify as cruel and unusual?

''Does it say a lot about how he operates and how he is? Definitely," Alexander said. ''I'd only hire a coach who was dedicated to winning. That's all Jeff cares about. That's all he thinks about. Those guys may go to extremes once in awhile. That's because they care so much about winning. That's Jeff's way."

Is he concerned about McGrady's injuries considering he has made a long-term financial commitment?

''Definitely," he said. ''As an owner and someone who wants to win, you always look at everything. You see the injuries, and it bothers you. He's such a great player that it's a risk well taken. You don't get players like that very often. No one is trading Kobe (Bryant). No one is trading (Tim) Duncan. We were lucky to get him."

Perhaps because he offers so few glimpses of himself in public, he's almost never an object of criticism. Or maybe it's because fans can see how badly he wants to win, how he puts his money where his mouth is.

Money never a problem

In one breath, he says the NBA's luxury-tax threshold serves as his franchise's salary cap. And in the next breath, he adds: ''Unless a great player comes along."

''That's one thing about the fans in this town," he said. ''If they know you're trying, if they see you're competitive, they love you. They're with you. I get stopped on the street and in the arena constantly. People say, 'Thanks for the job you do. We know you want to win.' "

richard.justice@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/rockets/3620240.html

2. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

He said " I LOVED THIS TEAM . HE DOSENT love it now?.. there is gonna be a seriouse overhaul of this roster come the offseason. it shows how much Les does care.

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Good read, I don't think anyone questions Les' desire to win, I think he is doing what he can within reasonable limits to make this team competitive, and they are when everyone is healthy, but you can't predict injuries and that's just how this whole season has been for us so far, and no reason to predict things will get better anytime soon.

It will surely be a thrillful ride with Yao and McGrady at the helm of this franchise for years to come, we shall see if they can bring another championship to the city of Houston or if they come close or if they never even make it to the Finals...only time will tell.

4. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

We can blame our season on injuries all we like, but even if we were healthy, the current squad as it stands, was;'nt good enough to contend for a championship. hence the rockets chasing Artest.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

it may not have been but they did improve upon there personel the best they could from last year. and i think they probably will next year through a trade or a draft pick. and that is good enough for me.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i disagree. i still think if this team was healthy the entire year we'd be competing for home-court advantage which is a step away from competing for the title. don't discount how unbelievably good mcgrady is and yao is no slouch either. wesley and howard have been playing as well as they did last year and alston has run the point well despite terrible shooting. i think we'd be atleast as good as last years 50 win team.

7. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Maybe. they will gradually chop and change over the nenture to finding the right balance. but re,member, t-mac's window of opportunity is not as long we first thought. simply because of his back. we need to speed things up.

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Whilst all valid points, our core is built for a championship, i agree with that. but my beef is is howard ever gonna be a championship team type starter?...i think even if we were healthy, we were a piece or 2 behind the spurs or the pistons.

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If I had told you that Chucky Brown or Nesterovich or Will Perdue or Jaron Jackson or guys like that were championship starters what would you have thought? Howard is fine, and this team would have been a championship contender if they were fully healthy. If they get back to full health now they might still be able to make a run. This is a team that, without Jon Barry, Derek Anderson, Stromile Swift and Yao Ming, went into Detroit last week and almost beat them. That speaks volumes.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

RocksMillenium is right. This team will go as far as TMac and Yao take us. Everybody will be along for the ride. Howard can be just fine if TMac and Yao hit their potential. And if they DON'T hit their potential, we'll never be a contender. Period. Howard is good enough.

Most championships teams are defined by their BEST player(s) ...not their worst.

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Les has frequently used hyperbole. ;) But you have to give him credit - he gives it all. He was willing to take a huge chance on Artest - I guess we just didn't have the trade assets. And his admission that if a trade for a special player came along, he'd pay the luxury tax, is very encouraging. So I guess we can still have some fun with JHoward plus cap fodder for KG trade threads.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This should answer any questions of what Les feels about the LT. He WILL go over it, if it brings in a STUD player, but isnt going to go over it for a 2 bit role player.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have been saying this since the beginning of the season and throughout the season, often getting flamed, but it is the truth. There is still not enough talent here, especially among our guards. Don't believe the rhetoric, Alston and Anderson are busts.

#13 solid, Jan 29, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I don't know who Austin is, and you deserved to get flamed.

At this piont, it is still impossible to know what this team could have accomplished if healthy. It was a more talented squad than last year's which performed quite admirably.

15. 12stonestool

12stonestool Member

very good point it looks like paul pierce is comming to htown or how about jermaine oneal there is gonna be a lot of players he thinks are "great players" in the offseason. This team is dismantled this offseason.

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Or maybe Justice asked him " how did you feel about this team at the start of the season?". You're jumping to conclusions.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

jermaine is not clutch.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

Walsh on Artest trade:
    http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13741711.htm
    "There was another team I would have gone right to if this didn't work," Walsh said (and my guess - just a guess - is that it was Denver). "But no, I wasn't going to sit around when we were offered a good player and say, `I'll just wait until the trading deadline.'''

I hope that other team wasn't Houston. a real kick in the balls if it were.

19. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

If Les is willing to gamble on acquiring a player...I'd rather focus on JR Smith right now. From what I've read, he's on the deep end of the Hornets' bench..he might be Tmacs backup or sidekick that we're looking for

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

It's a free forum and you are welcome to your opinion. If you think this team is more talented than last year, fine. I think Sura was much more of an impact player than ALSTON. I also think that James is a much better overall player than ALSTON. Anderson has a history of being out most of the time, no secret. Wesley, Barry, Deke are a year older and a bit slower. Also, if players are good, they are good. It's doesn't take forever to find that out, example, Ricky Davis.