1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Win streak hits 12

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ParaSolid, Feb 24, 2008.

1. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Some nice quotes from BJax about the offense. Good win!

---------------------------------

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5566422.html

Win streak hits 12 for Rockets as Bulls fall

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

• Closer look: Best streaks for Rockets

• Game statistics

With the wins stacking up, covering the entirety of February and now a dozen high, the new goal apparently has become variety.

For three weeks, the Rockets had games in which the defense dominated for all or parts of games.

That worked without interruption, but the offense had begun to grow, too. So when the Chicago Bulls came in, pushed the Rockets with an aggressive, overplaying defense, the Rockets stepped back a bit for a half, then let their offense blow the game open in the second half, rolling to a 110-97 win on Sunday night before 18,275 at Toyota Center.

"Right now, we're playing with such a great deal of confidence, we got it rolling," Tracy McGrady said after scoring 16 of his 24 points in the second half. "Defensively, offensively tonight, we're playing way above our heads right now.

"We're getting good. The most important thing, we believe in ourselves. We play together, a very unselfish team, we're having fun man. Everybody's locked in.

"We believe we can dominate offensively of defensively."

With the Bulls overplaying and pressuring defensively, the Rockets attacked and found scoring wherever they looked. For just the second time this season, they had seven players score in double figures, just as they had in their other game against the Bulls. But this one was different.

This time, the Rockets got a huge lift from Bobby Jackson, playing in his first day since he was acquired Thursday and with just one shootaround of preparation.

Jackson, however, had five years running coach Rick Adelman's offense in Sacramento. So when the Bulls pressured defensively, he shot past them the way the Kings had for so long.

"The timing for (acquiring) Bobby Jackson couldn't be better," Shane Battier said. "He showed us how to run the corner offense. Especially when a team is pressuring you, he made so many backcuts. For me, I've been running the offense all year, but to watch him run it, it was 'Oh, yeah, that's how you're supposed to do it.' The timing was impeccable for him to come in tonight against a team that pressures."

In his first moments on the floor, Jackson took off on a backcut to take a Carl Landry pass to a layup. When he was through, he had played 19 minutes, made 5 of 8 shots and scored 14 points. The adjustment period was over before there was time to hang his name above his locker.

"It's so funny," Jackson said. "I was telling the big guys the way they were overplaying us all night, the backdoor is going to be open. When teams try to overplay us and take our pick-and-rolls away, the backdoor is open all night. They just have to hit the bounce pass. This is everybody's first year in (the offense). It's my fifth year in it. If we get the backdoor, teams are going to play us very differently.

"I was in Sacramento five years, but it took us a couple years to get it down."

Soon, the Rockets were all moving, with McGrady, who made all four of his shots in the fourth quarter and getting four assists, making backcuts and looking to drive regularly.

In the first 8 1/2 minutes of the fourth quarter, when the Rockets went from an eight-point lead and blew it open to 107-88, they made 12 of 16 shots, including 5 of 7 3-pointers. They capped their run with McGrady hitting a jumper, Battier putting in consecutive 3s, and Jackson hitting a 3 in the corner.

With that, Adelman saw the offense he had envisioned, and perhaps the next step of the Rockets' growth through the winning streak.

"We attacked," Adelman said. 'Tracy did a great job in the second half attacking the basket. He just took it at them, and if he didn't have the shot, he found people open. Tracy set the tone the second half, but attacking was a huge part of it."

That was enough to get Adelman going again, with his Sacramento offense much of which that had been shelved seeming possible again.

"You have to move the ball," Adelman said. "You have to make cuts. Like Tracy made a great cut where he made a backcut and Rafer (Alston) is standing all by himself for a 3. Those type of cuts, you may not get the play, but somebody else is going to do it.

"It's not about who scores, it's about us scoring."

This time, that's what the Rockets did. When the game was tight, when the Bulls made runs, when the Rockets began to pull away, they were scoring. And the winning streak had a new variety of win.

• • •

Super streak
    The Rockets' 12th straight victory Sunday marked the fourth-longest winning streak in team history. The hottest Rockets teams and how they finished:

• 15 straight, 1992-93

Finished: 55-27 (first in Midwest Division)

Playoffs: Lost 4-3 in Western Conference semifinals to Seattle

• 15 straight, 1993-94

Finished: 58-24 (first in Midwest Division)

Playoffs: Beat Knicks 4-3 in NBA Finals for first NBA title

• 13 straight, 1990-91

Finished: 52-30 (third in Midwest Division)

Playoffs: Lost 3-0 in Western Conference first round to L.A. Lakers

• 12 straight, 2007-08

Current record: 36-20 (fourth in Southwest Division). Notable: The streak started Jan. 29 with a 111-107 home win over Golden State, and the Rockets have jumped three places in the conference standings since then.

2. bbjai

bbjai Member

excellant quote

I like the idea of bring him in now, it gives us someone who can bark out the offence. Its awesome to see

3. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

yes,we are all happy now.. though i'm a little worried about YAO'S left foot.THE health of TMAC and YAO means everything to our team

so best wishes!

4. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Great. Jackson will be a huge help to players just as a coach on the court.

He knows all the reads and reactions to get the best oppurtunities. He'll move well, and that can be infectious.

5. bronx43

bronx43 Member

What's wrong with Yao's foot???

6. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Yao sprained his foot at last game,so he left before the end of game.
    But not serious,he feel a little hard to jump though. He referred to it when he was interviewed by Chinese reporters.
    I'm Chinese ,so i watched the interview on TV. After the game.the doctor ask him to keep his food in ice for at least 5min..but obviousy he can't bear so long time. So cold indeed ~ lol

7. devin23

devin23 Member

Could be why he didn't play as well tonight. Sucks to be in the west, otherwise, yao would be resting right now if we were in the east.

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Yes,maybe that's one reason,But not the main one. I prefer to say the bull do a good job in defending as well. aha,whatever .it's normal everyone has some low day. For the time being ,that we hit 12 streak is really a amazing night !!!!! and we all know Yao IS good player.
    GO GO !!

9. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

keeping your food in ice must be a chinese thing.
    ;)

10. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

aha,my fault. THAT should be "foot" not "food" LOL

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i am an idiot. morey is god. great trade getting jackson in here.