1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: (Why T-Mac settles for jumpers)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moomoo, Dec 19, 2004.

1. moomoo

moomoo Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2954491

"It's all about reading defenses," McGrady said. "Sometimes, if I feel my jumper is there, that's what I'm going to take. With the game on the line, you're not going to get to the hole. If you do get to the hole, the refs are not going to give you the call."

This is the difference between Kobe and T-Mac right now. You never see Kobe succumb to this kind of thinking. Actually, Kobe's thinking when games are on the line is just the opposite: be aggressive, get to the hole and take it up strong, because there's no one on Earth that can stop me...

:(

2. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

You and I must have watched 2 different games when the Lakers lost to the Wizards yesterday and Kobe could have won the game in the 4th quater and in overtime...:confused: :confused: :confused:

3. sun12

sun12 Member

T-mac's thinking is not necessarily wrong. When the game is on the line, you might just shoot the outside jumper because fouls might not be called.

However, the game is on the line only in the last 2 minutes, before that last 2 minutes, why did T-mac shoot that many jumpers?

4. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

If it hits the rim it's a good try to me. T-mac can shoot over almost anyone, it's hard to argue about his shot selection. If only he attempted to drive to lane more down the stretch it could have gave us a better chance of winning. I rarely see anyone able to stop him from driving without a foul (or a turnover :p )

5. munco

munco Member

uh... kobe shoots a ton of jumpers at the end of the game. don't know if his rationale is the same, but the guy always takes jumpers at the end.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

???

they lost, but kobe took it to the whole over and over in OT. twice he went in and there seemed to be contact, and he didn't get the call (one time there was definitely contact b/c kobe didn't even draw rim on the layup and that's kind of hard to believe he missed the rim without being fouled or blocked). but he took it inside relentlessly in the 4th Q and OT. he ended up with 22 free throws i think.

if chucky atkins wasn't the biggest moron in the world and hadn't left anthony peeler (who the announcers even pointed out was in the game to hit a 3) wide open trailing by 1 to go stand in the middle of the lane to play help defense on larry hughes who hadn't even started to make his move the lakers may have one. it was really one of the dumbest things i've ever seen. down 1, all you wanna do is make sure they don't hit a 3, and atkins essentially just begs them to hit the open peeler by standing as far from him as possible even though hughes hadn't even started driving. it's like he wanted them to hit the 3. amazing. the only thing in the world you don't want to happen you serve on a silver platter to the other team. i'd of decked him before he left the court if i was his teammates.

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

and what are we talking about with game on the line. very last play of the game or the final few minutes? you can get calls and should take it inside in the last minutes. but i agree if the clock is running down and it's a game winning shot, you may as well not drive because you'll probably get fouled and you're not going to the line. everyone shoots jumpers at the end pretty much, and that's the smart thing to do.

8. mfclark

mfclark Member

To McGrady -- you don't get the call because you never take it to the hole. Put the onus on the referees to make the call and get yourself a better shot in the process. It worked for Steve Francis twice at the start of the season and has worked for countless others.

I imagine people like Stackhouse, Kobe, and Pierce don't get all the foul shots they do because of driving to the hole. That's the logic you get out of McGrady's thinking, but it's not the case. Whether it is at the end of a game or not does not matter, settling for jumpers doesn't cut it -- particularly when you are shooting 9-30 and 2-8 from three (with the 2 makes coming late).

9. jlwee

jlwee Member

to all the rockets players, against teams like bobcats, hawks, knicks etc., the game shouldnt be on the line at the very first place. We should have blow them up by 20points at least!!!

10. rocket3forlife2

ok with thinking like that iam gonna stop liking magrady.both teams in the penalty wherei n the penalty,why not drive to the hole?If it can work for francis why could it not work for a top five player taking it to the rack with everything hes got?I didn't want the trade to happen ,but I knew t mac was a better player.if his way of thinking stays the same,we are gonna suck for along time.that's just a soft way of thinking for me and it just don't make sense.

11. rocket3forlife2

I think I remember stevie saying something like "if you want a player that plays hard and bust his bitt every day and is gonna give you every thing he got thats him,but if you wana player thats gonna take fade away jumpers(tmac)then you should be happy wity the trade.I know it wasn't said quit like that ,but thats what he ment and it might be true.I am trying to put this trade behind me,but it's hard for me to watch this season and this is comming from a die hard rocket's fan sinec the 80s.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree. You have to put the onus on the refs to make those calls. I would rather the team go down trying to take it to the basket then just pull up for a jumper, especially as pointed out when said player is shooting HORRIBLY that night.

The Rockets as a TEAM need to EMBRACE contact. Enjoy getting hit. As a unit they just arent physical enough and thus get outworked by othe teams.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, it would be nice to put the onus on the refs to make the calls. But that ain't gonna make them call them. And it gets worse down the stretch. The reason that Kobe gets the calls is his name is Kobe. There is no other reason. Yao has gotten hacked and hacked over and over at the end of games to no avail. The refs keep the whistle in their pocket. I understand where TMac is coming from. You drive the lane so many times and nothing is called, you don't want to look bad driving the lane and getting a turnover, so you settle for the jumper.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Did the refs call the foul on Yao when Wallace jumped into him?

Of course they did.

Did the refs call the foul on Tim Duncan on that 4 point play?

Of course they did.

Tmac is full of crap....

Come strong, or don't come at all.

This team needs a testosterone injection.

We need a postal delivery from .....THE MAILMAN !!

DD

15. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

Ya and Kobe gets the calls....most of the time without an actual foul...the ref knows Kobe is going to the hole so he must be getting fouled......

16. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

One advantage Kobe had was that for years Shaq has been drawing fouls in the paint. At crunch time, most of the opposing team's shot blockers are either fouled out, in foul trouble, or severely injured.

So when Kobe goes inside, he is usually facing second or third string centers.

Furthermore, if Shaq is still in the game, the center will not be willing to leave Shaq to help out on the weak side, thus giving Kobe even better clearance to the rim.

Just my .02.

17. clove

clove Contributing Member

vwiggin,

what you said makes sense, when Kobe and Shaq were together.

Shaq is gone now, Kobe is still getting to the line.

I believe the main reason Tmac doesn't do it is because he is not that good at it yet. I don't want too write too much about it here, you can checkout the Tmac Vs. kobe thread. I argued that Tmac is like Kobe of 4 years ago.

edited portion:
    never mind, it wasn't in that thread. I can't find it.

#17 clove, Dec 19, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am tempted to check Tmac's shooting percentage by taking away his layups.

He is not that great of a shooter, very streaky, I would hazard to guess around 30% overall for his jumpshot.

When he drives, his percentages go way up.

Tmac needs to grow a pair of his own.

DD

19. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Clove, you're right to point out that Kobe is still aggressive without Shaq. I don't want to give Shaq all the credit for Kobe's success in the paint. I just think Shaq contributed to Kobe's confidence by softening the inside and drawing the best interrior defenders away from Kobe.

20. rocket3forlife2