1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Wells fits Rocket's rotation like a glove

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox225, Jan 31, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You are thinking of Mike James. Wait lemme guess... You prolly wanted to sign that guy in the offseason.

2. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Other than turning the ball over a lot part, what he said about JL3 is pretty much right on, If a PG only looks for his own shots, rarely passes the ball, and never creates scoring opportunities for his teammates, he is not likely to have high TOs, unless many of his own shots are airballs resulting in possessions for opponents.

#42 wnes, Jan 31, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  3. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

I was in favor of trading Bonzi, but now we have to keep him. Now when Yao gets back we seem to have a deep bench all of a sudden. Cannot wait until we play Dallas in the playoffs.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

yes!!!!

No more Rafer/Head backcourts.

A 9 man rotation is great. Snyder would play 0-25 minutes depending on the matchup, and would take them from Luther or Wells or Rafer. I don't mind Snyder not getting too many minutes as long as the 2-3 rotations is Mac, Battier, and Wells. Snyder will be 4th in that rotation and also play some defensive PG if the Rockets go big like they did vs Miami.

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

agree 100% with ya.

it doesn't have anything to do with earning it, it has to do with who compliments who.... and when yao is on the floor, hayes is a much better fit - hustle, tenacity, defense, and fouls. the last thing you want when yao needs a breather is to put mutombo on the floor with hayes. JVG has to go back to Yao-hayes and deke-howard.

it will be interesting to see where snyder fits once he gets back healthy.... you know he can provide some much needed athleticsm and penetration, but there's only so many minutes to go around.

these are good problems to have, though.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"they didn't do much in the playoffs" is being nice. They have never won a SINGLE game in the playoffs. lol Gasol is 0-fer-12 in the playoffs

7. Pocket Rockets

There's a reason its seems stupid to you.

"Playoff rotations tend to get smaller not bigger."

www.nbadraft.net/2005nbaplayoffs001.asp

This is usually the case with most playoff teams.
    Even during our championship seasons this was the case.

This should be our regular season rotation:
    alston
    mcgrady
    battier
    hayes
    yao
    head
    bonzi
    hayes
    mutombo
    snyder

during the playoffs, you will have to cut somebody out per game depending on matchup scenerios.

8. Danbury

Danbury Member

Bonzi's best move this season has been a baseline driving layup, and in the past he's been able to hit the mid-range jumper. He'll fit in fine, besides, if Francis comes back to town he'll have to earn his minutes before anyone talks about moving Wells, and Francis earning his minutes is far from a given.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Well, how about the Spurs?

From this year through 04-05 (championship for them) no single player in the regular season has averaged over 35MPG.

This year: 11 guys played over 10 minutes, 9 over 17 minutes

05-06: 10 guys played over 10 minutes, 9 over 17 minutes

04-05: 12 guys played over 10 minutes, 10 over 17 minutes

Granted not all players were probably healthy, but it still shows 9-10 man rotations are not uncommon. For the most part in those playoffs they have had 8-9 man rotations.

for the Rockets I'd like to see a 9-10 man rotation in the regular season and 8-9 man rotation in the playoffs.

This would be my playoff plan.......
    Tmac, Yao, SB > mid to high 30s
    RA, Head = high 20s
    JH, Wells = mid 20s
    CH, DM = low teens

As for Snyder, given he is a young player and has missed so much time, it will be awefully hard to get him integrated enough (comfortable with other players, with coaches) for this year's playoffs. Bonzi is a little different because he is a vet where both he and his coaches have a much better handle on playoff basketball, and his individual strengths. Barring Bonzi bombing out, the main way Snyder can get more minutes is by outplaying Hayes and where we end up with Battier getting lots of 4 minutes (e.g., versus Dirk, Marion, Spurs going small, Denver going small/Melo at the 4, Lakers with Odom at the 4, etc).

10. lived

lived Member

Thing is, the current 8-man rotation may be working good, but it's not the ideal one that we want to see coz it doesn't include Yao Ming. What happens when Yao comes back? Does Hayes move back into the starting rotation and JHo comes off the bench? There will surely be a change in offence sets with a greater proportion going into the low post. How will Bonzi react to that, since he will get less chances for the baseline to be cleared out for him. Will he shift out to the parameter? Will he be comfortable playing with Yao Ming?

These are all the questions which can only be answered after a couple of games with Yao Ming back. Then, we'll see if the 8+1 man rotation will be working as well as currently.. and whether that's good enough to take us deep into the playoffs.

And one more thing, JLIII, he's only playin coz VSpan's in the dawghouse.. an undersized PG jacking up shots like he has been doing doesn't even deserve garbage minutes.. (sure.. he did hand off a couple of assists) but he needs to play with more control..

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

The way he played that 4th quarter last game put a big ding on him in JVG's head. Little John was looking for his own shot first, waving off everyday, not passing at all. The kid is NBA savvy, but he is shooting himself. He can play controlled ball, but he also knows he has take gamble whenever he's got a chance to play because of his size.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm still shaking my head over the fact that we seem to have a guy, finally, who not only loves taking mid-range jumpers, but can actually nail them. I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever see the "real" Bonzi Wells. Better late than never.

13. johnrox

johnrox Member

jl did have a couple of good games earlier, where he was able to change the tempo of the game. so one game does in fact count against him, but VG will evaluate him overall...

ne ways, that rotation will be the rotation unless something really drastic happens, i mean the rotation in the thread up above a couple of messages.

snyder would see some minutes i reckon during the playoffs, even if the main rotation is 9 man.

14. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

Chuck is not going to play much...how can you keep Howard on the bench with his production lately? I think Howard will be getting some minutes at center too, against teams like Dallas and Phoenix

15. johnrox

johnrox Member

bonzi's mid range jumper has been pretty inconsistent. but with 4 months to get things back in place, it will come. he is able to get good rebounds, and IF he gets good position in the low block, pretty unstoppable because he's either quicker or stronger than whoever is guarding him.

16. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Chuck will play at least some minutes because he's a very good defender, , takes fouls for Yao, and can clean up the boards with Yao in.

17. W-Mac

when teams go small against us, i think he'll get some minutes. but i dont see him playing more then 10 min a game

18. W-Mac

definitely feelin you on this one. 6'6 slasher needs to be playing

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't have the stats, but from what I've seen the last few games, he's really getting there.

20. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

I see him getting 15-20 min minimum. It's not a knock on Juwan but Chuck compliments Yao so nicely. Yao grabs so much attention that they "ignore" Hayes, allowing him to do things he normally wouldn't get to do. He can grab more boards since the opponents will be busy trying to box Yao out, run his man away from Yao to prevent double teaming, cut to the basket when he does get double teamed for an easy layup, etc. The only times I see Hayes not playing is when the pf on the other team has no offensive capability and when, like a previous poster said, during the end of regulation when the game is close/tight because of two reasons:
    1) We'll need Juwan in the game to knock down 15 footers
    2) Chuck is gonna foul someone and send them to the freethrow line.