1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Wells fits Rocket's rotation like a glove

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox225, Jan 31, 2007.

Tags:
  1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

No. Are you crazy?

There is room on an NBA team for more than one low post option, and Yao will not play all 48 minutes. Plus when yao is on the floor, bonzi becomes a cutter and slasher guy.

Trading bonzi wells because you are afraid of what he will do with yao is asinine.

2. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

With Bonzi back and Snyder, neither JL3 or V-Span will fit in the rotation. So folks won't have to worry about JL3 shooting tons of shots or V-Span turning the ball over anymore unless there is another significant injury.

3. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Exactly, Bonzi is the low post option when Yao is out and when he's in he can still take the ball to the bucket on the other block. Either way, Yao can play either block with Bonzi on the other side. Nothing wrong with having two players on the floor that require double teams. It worked with Hakeem/Clyde. Bonzi is no Clyde but when he played with Dream he always occupied the opposite block and gave opposing teams fits with his size/strength. Same thing with Bonzi. You put Yao/Bonzi with Head/Battier/Howard you have long distance and midrange shooting with low post mismatches in our favor.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JVG will split the time for PF based on what team we play.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

calling jl3 cancerous is downright stupid. if you throw a term around at least use it in the right place.

6. nycundaground

nycundaground Member

JL3 is not cancerous, he is just doing what it takes to make it in the league. I think he was undrafted, undersized, and now he's a 3rd string pg. Put your self in his position, I would take every chance to display my skills while i have the chance. I think he really wants to get notice by other teams and just stay in the NBA.

But i agree he does suck on some nights, and has poor judgement. But that doesn't take away his will to stay and get paid in the NBA.

7. Pocket Rockets

i really like jvg but there is one thing ive always disliked about him and thats his substitution patterns.

An 8-man rotation? are you serious?
    Does he plan on going to a 6 man rotation in the playoffs then?

He needs to quit replicating what larry dierker did with biggio and bagwell, which may be the reason they didn't perform in the playoffs, due to the lack of rest.

You go with an 8 man rotation in the playoffs, but you try to play 9-10 in the regular season so you don't wear out your starters and top bench players. Im glad we are winning and playing well but we still have another half a season to go.

Play Snyder if he's really healthy!

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed. I think some of the V-Span lovers want to deflect the negative attention to JL3 and away from V-Span. JL3's historically bad 4th quarter gave them the opportunity. Now it's not clear which of them should be further down the totel pole.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Who's getting worn out? No one on the team is averaging even 38 minutes a game. It's not like the shortened rotation is causing some guys to play 40+ minutes. The extra minutes are going to the 6th, 7th, and 8th man on the team. Instead of having bench guys playing 15-20 MPG, they're playing 25-30 MPG.

10. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

The funny thing is that I'm not too worried about it.

As long as the chemistry sticks.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Rafer and Shane do play a fair number of minutes. And neither has missed a game if I'm not mistaken, so they could potentially get worn out by the end of the season.

Van Gundy's done a good job with T-Mac's minutes though(that game in Dallas notwithstanding). He's averaging under 36 minutes a night which is way under what he's played previous seasons. It helps that the team is not only able to maintain leads without him on the floor, but has even built on them.

12. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

how about trade Yao, Alston, Novak for Baron Davis, Biedrins, Pietrus :)

#32 rocketman1979, Jan 31, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  13. Sextuple Double

Our rotation will consist of 9 players

Rafer/Head
    T-Mac/Bonzi
    Shane
    Hayes/Howard
    Yao/Deke

Hayes is gonna start with Yao since there won't be much shot opportunities for Juwan. When Head comes in T-Mac assumes a point forward role. Bonzi is interchangeable with either wing positions, as is T-Mac. Mutombo will go back to seeing 10-15min per game. Snyder, who seems to be left out, can come in during certain matchup situations and might come in to give someone a quick 5min spell. JL3, Novak, and the almighty Vspan can keep the bench warm.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Before Yao went down, Deke averaged less than 10 minutes per game. I expect that to continue after Yao rounds back into form.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I agree with the Snyder sentiment. Maybe he's just not ready?

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

So you suggest having a set rotation of 10 players during the season...and then, when the playoffs (most important time of the year) start, change it all up and give everyone new roles? Seems a little stupid to me. An 8 man rotation for most of the game isn't all that uncommon.

17. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

no A_3PO, JL3 just sucks. Vspan obviously sucks (at least from what we've been able to see), but JL3 is 10X worse! JL3 is CANCEROUS and there's no doubt about that. Span might turn the ball over a lot, but he passes the ball. JL3 plays by himself, turns it over a lot, shoots a lot, bricks a lot, and dribbles for atleast 17 seconds before making a move! please guys, just look @ the clock when Lucas is in the game. he keeps going left and right like a little mouse outside and then, when the clock is down to six, he decides to take an offbalance 3 which ends up being either an airball or a brick..

career totals:
    FGM/ A: 50-128
    3pt/ A: 10-41

and I tried to look for a "dribble per position" stat but I couldn't find one. I am pretty sure he would lead the freakin NBA. and I also tried to find a "shot instead of passing to a wideopen teammate" stat, couldn't find it either.. looks like Mr. Morey isn't doing his job well.. :D

18. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

The Grizzlies tried the platoon system. It worked with limited success. During the regular season, they were pretty good, but they didn't do much in the playoffs. Most teams don't employ the 9-10 man platoon system. Hubie Brown was unique. Their team was deep with above average talent, but no star other than Gasol. It worked out better for them, because of that.

I have never considered Hubie Brown's 9-10 man platoon system as a threat to the smaller regular season rotations of championship coaches.

#38 Mordo, Jan 31, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  19. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

Snyder MUST get some minutes. we cant sit him down and stay with Head 26+ minutes atleast until Yao comes back. we are obviously doing great, but we have to get him back in the rotation because he is such a great talent. the guy has the ability drive to the basket and finish strong, and you all know that we desperately need this kind of guy who can score high % shots.. that's not mentioning his size which helps us against big guards..

gotta play Snyder..

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

RocketsMac, c'mon now. You are just mean. But at least it's a distraction from the V-Span overdose on the forum.