1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Webber `would fit in' - ROCKETS SUMMARY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zman2002, Jan 12, 2007.

1. zman2002

zman2002 Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4465594.html

Jan. 12, 2007, 1:32AM
    ROCKETS SUMMARY

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Webber 'would fit in'
    You can probably put the Rockets in the long-shot category for signing Chris Webber, now that he has been waived by Philadelphia. But that doesn't mean at least one former college teammate wouldn't welcome him with open arms,

"He's got a lot left in his tank," said Juwan Howard, who played with Webber at Michigan. "He's a competitor. He's a skilled big man, an excellent passer and has 20-foot range on his jump shot. Some team out there is going to truly love having him on their team."

What about the Rockets?

"I know we would love to have him," Howard said. "He would fit in. He's a great guy, a great player. We can use him."

Home fires burning
    The Rockets are now 13-3 at Toyota Center, which has a dramatically different, noisier atmosphere than in the first three seasons of its existence.

"I think the players can feed off extraneous energy when they're a little bit tired," said coach Jeff Van Gundy.

Seeing is believing
    With Shane Battier, the results are never in the box score, even on a night when he drops in five 3-pointers. At the other end, he was the primary defender on Kobe Bryant (6-for-18).

"I honestly never look at his line," Jeff Van Gundy said. "I don't have to look at his line to know he's good. You've just got to use your eyes. When you use your eyes, you can watch out there, and he completes every play; he makes minimal mistakes; he's a low-turnover, high-efficiency shooter."

Yao still leads
    In the final update before the All-Star starters are announced Jan. 25, Yao Ming continues to lead all vote-getters for the 2007 NBA All-Star Game, which will be played Feb. 18, with 1,775,413 votes.

Kobe Bryant of the Lakers (1,536,556) leads Western Conference guards, followed by the Rockets' Tracy McGrady (1,331,511) and Allen Iverson of Denver (1,300,248).

FRAN BLINEBURY

2. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Webber would fit, and Juwan and JVG can probably keep him in check...hmm

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I'm glad the players are feeding off the Rowdies. They liven the Summit up! :D

4. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

Cweb said on tnt he wants to start.. we cant offer him starting position..
    Chuck and Yao form the best frontcourt..

5. Prosun

Prosun Member

6. Prosun

Prosun Member

Ummm... Chuckie isn't exactly starting right now.

7. liu1107

cuz Yao is not playing.. Chuck + yao = great.. Jho + Yao = disasterous, although Jho is a very good player

8. liu1107

man JHo looks so weird back then

9. The Hungarian Rocket

Is it means the Suns waived Jalen? ;)

10. Omer

Omer Member

Lol, I doubt Juwan would actually want him on the Rockets.

He already had to outplay Hayes for the PF spot, once Webber comes in it would mean even less minutes.

11. windfern

windfern Member

We have a excellent chemisty now. Unless he is ok to play 5-6 minutes a game, that's fine.

12. battousai

battousai Member

I think getting cwebb is a good idea. hayes can't score, Howard can't grab rebounds. At least cwebb is a bit of everything. a little offense and a little defense with boards.

remember, Yao is offense and less on grabbing the boards. That's why we got hayes in there with Yao, but hayes would add additional defensive pressure on Yao.

With howard, the pressure is some what off a bit from Yao, but no one was there to grab the rebounds. these will be issue in the playoffs that other teams will try to exploit.

Is it really up to JVG and CD to think how much of the tank left in Cwebb, can he fill in the voids?

13. dookiester

dookiester Member

yeeah why would howard be endorsing webber. they play the same position. and who wants webber anyways, the guy is terrible at this point in his career. everyone here complaining about how juwan tries to do too much and thinks he's still a star is going to have an aneurysm watching cwebb try to carry a team.

14. awo86

awo86 Rookie

Guys, just ignore what Fran BLINDbury is saying, his thoughts are crap.

15. teetime

teetime Member

They can keep webber. No thanks

16. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

If Juwon is all for getting for CWeb, I don't see why we shouldn't go after him. Remember he was a 20/10 guy only a few months back.

Let him play center now. When Yao comes back, let him start at 4.

17. BlakeB

BlakeB Member

I'd rather have Juwan start at this point but CWebb would be good as insurance and as a 6th man. If by some miracle we get him I don't think we should start him, but we could still find a way to work him in, let him build up some chemistry, and get up to 20+ mins a night. I would love to have C-Webb come to our team, but if he wants to start I don't know if this is a place for him to come.

But would he really be starting on any contending team that he wants to go to? Maybe the Heat or Lakers? *shrug* Either way, we should just offer him the min. 1 year contract and see if he bites. He could be a decent pickup for our title run, and if not what do we lose? Personally, I'm still hoping Steve Franchise gets bought out and we make a little run at him to be our backup PG.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If we were able to load up Francis, can you imagine our second unit?

We start the game with Rafer, TMac, Battier, Yao, and Hayes. And then come in with Francis, Head, Juwan, and Deke?

My goodness man. I'm starting to salivate. If Isaiah and SF3 really want to make this happen, they can. Steve is owed $48 million over the next 2 1/2 years. He can get the MLE after this season. That is at least $10 million right there. Plus he can get a minimum deal this year. That's another $1 million or so. Add to that a little bit of interest earnings and they should be able to reach a buyout agreement in the $32-$38 million range. Expensive yes. But what choice do the Knicks have. He is untradable. And he's just gonna sit around and collect his dough if they don't cut him loose, taking up a roster spot and causing them more money in the long run. They can use their MLE for the next 2 seasons to pick up players that will fit and not be stuck with his roster spot closed. And I don't see any way that he signs with Philly, when he can get on a playoff contender for the stretch run.

The only likely competition for his services would maybe come from the LA teams, or possibly Miami. I would think that the Rox would be front runners in a deal like this.

1. Sign SF3.
    2. Make another trade using Sura's, Padgett's, and Bonzi's contracts along with the TE as trade bait for possibly an extra big.

19. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

Webb is probably going back to Det. Not interested in playing with Roxs anyway. I watched TNT's interview with him and felt he is really a smart guy with high bball IQs. Oh well, at least he is not going to Lakers or Spurs either.

20. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I don't like Webber, he has bad decision making down the stretch and has never been able to benefit his teams over the long run. I also question if he would be able to play JVG style defense.

The only thing he could really bring to the table that would improve our team is his passing ability. Rox have gone a long time without a PF that can pass and Yao could benefit greatly from this since Hayes and JH still don't know how to pass to him effectively yet.