1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Thick skin helps Rockets' Alston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zman2002, Jan 12, 2007.

1. zman2002

zman2002 Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4465715.html

Jan. 12, 2007, 1:03AM
    Thick skin helps Rockets' Alston
    Turnaround in attitude shows as shot improves

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Locker rooms can be tough places. You need thick skin to survive.

When the Rockets had used tough rebounding and defense to pull out a gritty victory at Chicago on Monday night, Jeff Van Gundy said there was one other reason for the win over the Bulls.

"Rafer got hot," deadpanned the Rockets coach. "He hit one shot."

When the Rockets finally finished giving the Los Angeles Lakers the back of their hands and a swift kick on the way out the door Wednesday at Toyota Center, Tracy McGrady had a biting and quick description of his icy 4-for-16 shooting woes.

"I had a Rafer night," T-Mac said with a knowing smile.

Ba-dum-bum.

Yes, it would be a perfect place for a rimshot, except too many of Alston's offerings over the previous three games had been exactly that. On the rim, on the glass, anywhere but in the bottom of the net.

Clanking away
    By the time Alston missed his first four shots against the Lakers, he had made only 11 of his last 52 field-goal attempts (21.2 percent) and folks in the front row were starting to wish they'd brought body armor.

But a funny thing happened on the way to Dikembe Mutombo climbing the pages of the record books with five rejections and Luther Head becoming a star on YouTube by posterizing Ronny Turiaf. Alston regained his shot, though there was never a danger of him losing his job.

It wasn't the fact that Alston had turned around his shooting stroke and finished with 20 points and hit four 3-pointers against the Lakers that had Van Gundy content. It was the turnaround in attitude after a conversation the coach and point guard had on the plane to Chicago.

"I wouldn't say my talk was a pick-me-up," Van Gundy said. "I would say it was more direct. I think he knows the support is there for anybody going though a rough time, particularly him.

"But there's absolutely no tolerance for 'woe-is-me' and seeing a body language that is drastically altered between a good (shooting) night for somebody and a bad (shooting) night. I thought that's what changed in Chicago. I thought that's what changed when he had a rough start (Wednesday) night. He kept playing and good things happened."

Alston has been around long enough in the NBA to know that's what he had to do. But when every shot you're putting up keeps bouncing off the rim, it can become a burden. During one stretch in the back-to-back games in Minnesota and Chicago, he missed 20 shots in a row.

"It's tough," Alston said. "The only good thing is that I went through it once before in Toronto. I missed 22 straight.

"I know that (Van Gundy) knows. He's played the game. He's coached a long time. He understands what you go through. He understands that you can't let it affect the rest of your basketball game and the rest of the team. He really wanted me to continue to do the things I'm capable of doing, like penetrating and dishing, defending the ball, getting some steals and running the team."

Which is easier said than done. Because the more a player struggles with his shot, the more shots he's going to find himself getting.

The Rockets don't need Alston to fill it up on most nights, merely take advantage of opportunities, get them started in their offense and hustle at the other end.

Handling emotions
    "He's a great guy who has really, really improved from Day One in this league," Van Gundy said. "Where he used to be a guy who was highly frustrated and highly emotional, now he's much better equipped to handle some of the tougher nights. The last two (games) he's done a much better job in that area, and I was happy he got it going a little, because he puts so much into it."

Alston nodded his head.

"It's part of the maturation process," he said.

Along with growing thick skin.

fran.blinebury@chron.com

2. stangend77

stangend77 Member

he better have really thick skin with the way he has been shooting!

3. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Call me a crazy but I am not convinced Rafer got his shooting touch back.

I reserve my judgement till All-Star break.

4. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

rafer's never had a shooting touch. the lakers game was a fluke and he'll revert back to his old ways.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lets see how thick his skin really is, someone send him a link to this board.

6. pettinati

pettinati Contributing Member

you are a person who see's the cup half empty, as opposed to half full.

You are entiled to your opinion, no doubt.

BUT, please, see the positiviety in life, and quit being a pessimest. This is bigger than basketball.

I am damn near done with this whole posting nonsense. I am also very surprised at not only the basketball intelligence, but the life inteligence of alot of the people who post on this board.

We all learn our lessons through life experiences, and Rafer is learning the same way.

Yo.

F*ck the B*llsh*t. I'm done with all yall.

I know ya'll couldn't care less, but f*ck 75% of yall.

THAT 75% of posters who are ALL about negativity....well, I dont want to deal with it. Ya'll are bringing me down.

peace.

#6 pettinati, Jan 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  7. pettinati

pettinati Contributing Member

and NO, I dont have the numbers to back up 75% in regards to posts.

Who gives a f*ck.

Go Rockets. We are an incredible ball club, with incredible management....and we DESERVE incredible fans.

One.

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

love this quote.....what a sensational attitude for the coach to have, keep on rocking JVG.... and Rafer keep shooting when open

9. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

10. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

pettinati, everyone of us "half fulls" had the same thought, but you know, we grew our own thick skin to the "half empties". Not everybody has seen the Secret.

RR

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Half full here too. I can't tell ya how many times I almost just wrote off coming back here, but there is still some good info here. Unfortuntely I have to sift through 90% of **** to get to it.

to half empties: How about just pullin for a guy that plays for YOUR favorite team, rather than treating him like he plays for the other team. We all get frustrated with poor play by any player, but it's not like they go out and purposely have bad games. I just don't understand how people can have so much hate towards a person they don't even know personally and that person never did anything to them.

12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

And the team is 7-2 even with him playing crappy. If it were the other way around I can see people really getting down on him. There are just players that most people do not like. Alston is one of them for whatever reason. We are just going to have to deal with it. Unfortunately even if he plays well the rest of the season everyone will have these past couple of weeks branded into their mind and will never change their opinion of him.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

alston needed a good game. I think it does say something that he stepped up at home after so much criticism he got. It would have been easy for him to start being passive and stop shooting but rafer has to shoot those open shots he gets. not taking a good shot is worse than missing a good shot

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The biggest copout there is.

Of all the players I've ever interviewed, Rafer Alston was the nicest/coolest -- by far. People who know Rafer or are close to Rafer will defend him, primarily for that reason. He's not a chemistry-killer, gets along with everyone, is unselfish, is a fairly good passer, pushes tempo fairly well ...

I don't hate Rafer Alston ... I hate when he shoots the ball and he's unfortunately in an offensive system that requires him to do so probably more than other teams. His shot is hideous. Many have been saying it for about a year now ... most people didn't want to listen.

Funny how they're listening now though.

15. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

Actually thick skin helps you every where (all over the world), in every profession and pretty much every aspect of life --- just a thought. :cool:

16. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

This never seems to make sense to me: if Novak or Vspan missed a couple of jump shots, back to the bench they go.

Rafer, however can miss 20 straight and still logged heavy minutes.

Does Reefer have something over Gundy? like nasty compromising photos?

17. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

if Novak or Vspan missed a couple of jump shots, back to the bench they go.

jeff doesnt pull them for missing, he pulls them for t/os, stupid fouls, or just bad defense.

18. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

No kidding!

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

8-19 - yeah that is SMOKING hot baby !!

:rolleyes:

20. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

he doesnt have to shoot smoking hot...just effective and he was.