1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Chron] The Versatility of Ron Artest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Oct 6, 2008.

1. skywater

skywater Member

I wonder if Morey knows Sun Yue (Rookie of Lakers), a 6-9 point guard who can dribble and dish/steal/block/defend 1 to 4 on court.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think expecting Sun Yue to guard even one position well, let alone 4 or 5, is asking a bit much in his first year.

3. skywater

skywater Member

ya, that's true. :) No doubt Yue is talented but no way he could get minutes in a WIN NOW team like LA in his rookie year .

4. declan32001

declan32001 Member

“I think the team with Shane out there will be the hardest for teams to guard. When we put Shane out there, we have good size all the way across, and we have shooters on the floor and guys they have to double.”

When I read that this morning I was assuming that was with Yao in that lineup, but I'm still not sure of what to make of it in the context of the paragraph.

It's still overlooked by many here now.

5. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I like to see the lineup of Barry, Tmac, Battier, Artest and Yao on the court more than the starting lineups.

6. 2rings

2rings Member

scary on offense and a huge liability defensively. Who would guard the bevy of class a ones in the west? T-Mac is just too big to guard that position on a regular basis.

7. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It is always a defensive dilemma with Yao when playing against teams with the front line tandem of a long ball shooter (Okur) and a quick low post score (Boozer). You either have to let Yao get drawn out to the 3pt line, or be abused by the speed of the low post guy. (The Marion-Amare tandem used to have the same effect on us.) JVG always chose to keep Yao down low, which is probably the right choice.

Back to Shane's case. It was JVG's idea of starting Shane at the 4 at the beginning of 06-07. And he quickly scratched that idea. Shane is not strong enough to guard 4s consistently. Artest, on the other hand, has the strength.

But I don't think Adelman will start Artest at the 4. We have too many good players at the 4 to sit on the bench. Artest at the 4 will only be a matchup scheme rather than a full-time role.

Also, I know this is a minority view. But I still think playing McGrady more at the 1 is worth experimenting. He is still the best playmaker on the team. Now we have so many capable scorers/shooters in Yao, Artest, Scola, Battier, Barry, and Landry, we can have a very versatile offensive team.

9. Classic

Classic Member

I agree...That lineup would absolutely kill. Yao would could have so much spacing it's ridiculous.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The guy who couldn't dribble the ball past half court during the olympics?

11. Carlos Nice

Carlos Nice Rookie

aren't you the same person that fought with half of the forum and tried to tell us that Ron was bnot teh answer and that we were all stupid to think Ron was going to make a difference?

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yea but Durant is really a good shooting 3/4 that is forced to play SG because he is so weak, he's not too quick either (for a SG). Chuck can definitely guard his type. He can do fairly well with anyone but Artest is on another level to me. He has the quickness to guard PG's and has done it before. He's the most versatile defender we've had since we had a big who could block a guard on the perimeter.

13. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Dont poke the sleeping dragon...

14. Carlos Nice

Carlos Nice Rookie

i was just checking. i haven't posted in close to 2 months.

it's taken that long to get over the first round exit. i'm ready for October 29th.

15. durvasa

16. rocketsregle

With all due respect durvasa, Boozer may have not been his assignment but he got stuck rebounding on Boozer couple of times and got pushed around. If I'm understanding right, you only charted defensive. Battier still had to contend boxing out Boozer on offense cause I'm pretty sure Okur guarded Yao. I just don't think its coincidence that JVG let go of that experiment soon after that game.

#36 rocketsregle, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  17. durvasa

Why would Battier have to box out Boozer ... on offense? Offensive rebounding was way down on JVG's list of concerns. Particularly for his spot up 3-point shooters.

18. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

I hate to let either artest or battier eat PF minutes (<10 would be OK), that would waste scola/landry/hayes talents. If they do not have enough minutes for tmac/artest/battier/barry/head playing at 2 and 3 positions, I would rather they give PG's minutes to some of that group, in some matchups, tmac/barry can play PG at the offense end, with artest/battier guarding pGs at the defense end.

19. rocketsregle

Players don’t stop boxing out just because it’s not a priority. They’re still told to try. I just don’t think those stats tell the whole story because I believe JVG saw something in that game that made him question starting Battier at PF again even though Boozer wasn’t his primary assignment. The few times he was matched up against him, Battier had trouble.

20. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

270 pounds? That has to be a typo...that's HUGE. I thought he was closer to 240 does anyone know?