1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Texans won't be trading down

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/mcclain/3717785.html

Signing Weaver fills defensive need, so expect team to keep top pick

By JOHN MCCLAIN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Signing defensive end Anthony Weaver means the Texans will not be trading down in the first round to select North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams.

Although owner Bob McNair and general manager Charley Casserly have said recently they will trade down if a team blows them away with an offer, expect them to keep the top pick.

No one on the staff was more excited to get Weaver than new defensive coordinator Richard Smith, who knows that Weaver's presence will be felt up and down the line.

The switch from a 3-4 defensive scheme to a 4-3 left the Texans overstocked with defensive tackles and lacking in bonafide ends. The change caused them to place a high priority on free agency, and Weaver was the player they targeted.

Weaver (6-3, 280) is better suited for a four-man front, although he is played end in a three-man front, too. He also plays tackle in passing situations.

Weaver will start on the left side — the strong side for the offense. He has to be physical and will often get double-teamed by the right tackle and tight end.

Robaire Smith, Travis Johnson and Seth Payne will rotate at tackle. Antwan Peek and Jason Babin, who started at outside linebacker in the 3-4, will compete at right end, where most of the sacks should come from in a four-man front.

Peek, a restricted free agent who hopes to sign a long-term extension, and Babin still could play opposite each other in passing situations when Weaver moves inside.

Weaver is not the type of end to compile impressive sack numbers. He had only 14 1/2 with the Ravens. He plays hard all the time, and he's strongest against the run. He also can tie up two blockers.

Last season, Weaver started only eight games and played in 10 because of back and toe injuries. He was healthy by the end of the season.

The Texans are hoping to get the kind of performance Weaver had in a 16-13 victory over the Super Bowl-champion Pittsburgh Steelers in November. He had eight tackles, including six unassisted, and two sacks.

Pat on the back

The Texans should be congratulated for their strong start in free agency Saturday.

Defensive end Anthony Weaver and fullback Jameel Cook should fit nicely into the new systems being installed on both sides of the ball.

Quarterback Sage Rosenfels, a five-year veteran, agreed to terms and will sign today. He's the backup coach Gary Kubiak and offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun wanted to replace Tony Banks.

As the backup in Miami behind Gus Frerotte last season, Rosenfels completed 34-of-61 for 462 yards and four touchdowns. He threw three interceptions and wasn't sacked.

In no hurry

The tight end the Texans want, Jeb Putzier, wasn't available to come to Houston because his wife recently had a baby.

It's no secret that coach Gary Kubiak, offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun and tight ends coach Brian Pariani all of whom coached Putzier in Denver would like to add him to the roster.

Putzier is a good receiver. He'd be the perfect complement to Mark Bruener, who's an outstanding blocker. Some Texans opponents say Bruener had his best season as a blocker since he entered the NFL as Pittsburgh's No. 1 pick.

Coming home?

If the Texans manage to keep receiver David Givens from leaving today, they'll be ecstatic.

Givens, who was New England's seventh-round pick in 2002, grew up in Humble, where his family still resides. The Texans are hoping that returning to Houston to play for his hometown team will be special for him.

Givens, who played at Notre Dame, worked hard to make the Patriots as a rookie and became one of their best weapons over the last two seasons when he had 115 catches for 1,612 yards, including 23 receptions of 20 or more yards.

With Jabar Gaffney and Corey Bradford being unrestricted free agents, the coaches want a dangerous weapon to play opposite Andre Johnson. Givens would be ideal, but it may take $20 million to bring him home.

#1 Rockets34Legend, Mar 12, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Someone is going to have to explain to me how Weaver is so valuable that it means there's no way, no how you listen to offers that could provide you value and still bring you Mario Williams. I don't get it.

This organization makes scary decisions.

3. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

Funny... :D

4. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Funny..I have never really heard of Weaver.
    And Casserly is in love wth him.
    That scares me!

In Casserly we DO NOT trust!

5. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Weaver's not THAT valuable. But, it is a pretty nice upgrade over what's there.... And who said that they're not listening to offers? I wouldn't count out any scenario until after they officially make the pick.

BTW, Mario Williams may be a beast....but unfortunately the Texans need to put/keep fans in the seats. DE's don't sell tickets.

6. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

You're right... wins put/keep fans in the seats. I think MW would help us out there alot. What if you could get an offensive lineman and MW for the #1? The article does state that Weaver is not a pass rusher, but instead a run-stuffer that can take on 2 O-linemen. Sounds like the perfect compliment to a pass rusher of Williams' ilk. That said, I wouldn't be THAT upset with a D Line rotation of Babin, Peek, and Weaver at end and Weaver, T. Johnson, Payne, and Robaire at DT. I think that everyone's forgetting that Robaire Smith was a real good DT in the 4-3 for Tennessee. I think he'll transision easily into that tackle spot, helping to make Paye and Johnson more effective.

7. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Maybe, just maybe, they feel like a Peek/Babin combo at the position will give them as much production as Williams would. All I've heard from players is how much a beast Peek is and, if he was put in a position to solely go after the QB every play (which playing strong-side DE), he would be great. Babin was drafted as that same type of player and he was DE in college. Mario Williams seems to be a stud but, probably from the Texan's perspective, they solidified the D-line at a much cheaper cost.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Weaver was ranked the 15th best free agent by ESPN. I know, I know, they're idiots, but it makes me kinda happy. Givens, Putzier and Bush to this offense, along with Flanagan would be huge. I'd be very excited for the upcoming season.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Weaver was a solid pickup, not sure why you guys are questioning the move. Although, I do think the 12 million dollar bonus was a little too steep, I'm still very content with the decision.

Also, he didnt get many sacks because he was a lineman in the 3-4. I think playing the end in the 4-3 will help out his pass rushing.

In any case, this was a much needed addition...I really dont see the point of drafting Williams anymore, because we need to plug in other holes. Would I rather have Williams than Weaver? No doubt...however, Weaver will get the job done, so we should start looking at filling out our other needs.

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Givens is staying with New England. He resigned late last night.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Apparently he didnt. Word is that the Houston Chronicle messed up...Here in Boston, they are still talking about Givens visiting the Texans. Not sure what the deal is.

12. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

A report in the Houston Chronicle that David Givens has agreed to re-sign with New England is incorrect.
    That's two teams Givens has reportedly signed with, neither of which is true. Givens is headed to Houston to meet with the Texans Sunday after talking to the Dolphins. Mar. 12 - 9:56 am et

Jeb Putzier is also headed to visit with Texans today....If we were somehow able to get Givens/Flanagan/Putzier before the draft, I would feel great about the offense. Givens is a steady #2 who's done it in the biggest of games and Putzier is a decent receiving tight end.

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Oh ok thanks. Im glad he didn't because he and Andre would make a nice combo.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'm not as sold on Putzier. I'd like to see us grab a TE who the defense has to account for on every play. A guy who could develop into a Tony Gonzales/Antonio Gates type player. I don't see that in Putzier. I really like the TE crop in this year's draft. Vernon Davis would obviously be huge, but with our 2nd rounder I'd love to see us grab whoever amongst Marcedes Lewis, Leonard Pope or Dominique Byrd are left after round 1.

15. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

With Weaver taking on 2 blockers and moving Peak to RE, our pass and run attack is improved. Weaver will open up the LB/Safety blitz. Peek is in his most effective position now. I think our DL will turn some heads this year.

Babin was drafted to be our LOLB in the 3-4. I'm glad their moving to a 4-3. Babin should also be more effective splitting time with Peek at his natural position.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

That's if they are at a good price. I wonder how much Casserly is going to spend... :mad:

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

soooo agreed.

There's a reason Putzier couldn't beat out a journeyman scrub te in Stephen Alexander for the starting spot.

The TE crop is huge this year with dual threat TEs.

Save that fa money for the OL please.

18. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Weaver is a big upgrade. I like the idea of him and Robaire Smith next to each other. We still need an impact pass rusher unless Peek and/or Babin develop.

19. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

This team is pretty clueless. That is all.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

And you are stupid.

Oh wait, I take that back. I wouldn't want to make a blanket statement without any reasoning behind it.